Author Topic: Gamers where are you?  (Read 3496 times)

tamsyn

Gamers where are you?
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:53:19 pm »
Seriously, let's get some chat going here!

Favourite fantasy rpg atm? Mine has to be Midnight the d20 game, where LOTR went bad.....

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
Re: Gamers where are you?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:40:42 am »
Currently,

on paper - a hybrid version of original D&D (pre-advanced rules). The major change is to use simplify the rules for saving throws to dragon breath, etc. by changing them to 3rd ed. style: will; fortitude; and, reflex.
Other change is to make thieving and spell casting dependent on ability throws vs appropriate prime requisites.
Simpler rules make it less of a stats-fest and capitolises on imagination. My 6 year-old godson is itching to play and it's a fun way for him to improve his math skills.

on computer - Neverwinter Nights can't be beaten. It's RPG has a fab plot but the module building abilities elevate it into immortality. What other off-the-shelf computer game is used by universities to teach journalism skills?

Just started Dungeon Siege 2. I beta-tested the original so have a fondness for it. Only just started playing DG2 though, so can't make a full comment yet.

The Sims also get my vote.
I loved the whole series even back to the days of Lovelock's Daisyworld.

MMO - Used to be a big Asheron's Call player and dabbled a bit with AC2 and Lineage 2.
But Monthly subscriptions are a tad disappointing when devs nerf things to ridiculous lengths and cities are awash with the cold soulless economies of endless bots.
Players have forgotten that it is a game not a corporate business opportunity.

So I'm saving my pennies for Fallen Earth should that ever come to fruition.
I live in hope.

If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

tamsyn

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:59:33 pm »
I must admit I railed against d&d for so long due to all the maths, now I've just given in.

Don't really play online or computer rpgs because I like playing with others, multiplayer Baldur's Gate was pretty good though.

I am completed addicted to The Sims 2. I find it hard to find games I like for the psp, but LOTR Tactics and now The Sims are it. No combo button presses required. I am still waiting for d&d tactics to come out for the psp. It was supposed to be July but it has been pushed back to October. Boo. It's going to have feats and everything!

Troo

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:58:47 pm »
Christ, what'm I playing at the moment? *strains*

Recently gave Cold City a try. I liked the concept and the scenario we ran through, but the GM freely admits he hadn't got his head around the system, so it was a bit ropey. We'll give it another shot and see if it picks up.

Next up we're going to play The Shab-al-Hiri Roach.

I'm a big fan of Dogs in the Vineyard, InSpectres and old skool Mage: The Ascension, although I've not had the chance to play or run the last one in about five years.

There are also, sadly, in this age where none of my local friends RP, a large amount of games that I love the idea of or that look really awesome, but that I've never had the chance to play. I have most of the books published for 7th Sea, for instance, but never got to run it. Blue Planet is fantastic, but our RP friends mock the idea of a serious-ish game with sentient killer whales and refuse to play it. Aria and Agone are two games we just never got to play - I live in the middle of Hertfordshire, and we have to drive up to Milton Keynes just to meet up with our gamer friends, so only do that about once a month.

Boo, hiss!

Computer-wise I'm playing Lord of the Rings Online a lot at the moment. I'm loving it. I'm sure eventually all the gold-sellers will ruin the economy, and it's weird that so many non-roleplayers choose the freakin' RP server to clod around on, but it's great fun, and most of the players are okay.

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 07:45:38 am »
My favourite systems I use on my PBeM games, Warhammer FRP, D&D (both 2nd and 3rd ed in use at the moment!) and Call Of Cthulhu.

As for games, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 can't be beaten. Just completed the official campaign, taking over a year of off and on playing and now downloading custom made stuff - there really are some imaginative modules available, all for free!
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...