Author Topic: Hi, loving the site  (Read 7405 times)

Anna

Hi, loving the site
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:19:48 am »
Hi everyone, great to be here.

I'm Anna from the West Midlands and I'm a big fan of fantasy - obviously!
I'm a published poet and aspiring novelist, a karate practitioner and a huge book and movie fan. I've started an Open University degree in Literature and am really looking forward to the creative writing year - even though I have to complete three years before I get to it - hey, it's something to aim for!

Looking forward to getting into some fantastic conversations and debates here.

Anna ;)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, loving the site
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 12:14:45 pm »
Hi, Anna, and welcome.

As you're from the West Midlands, have you checked out the open night they're having in Birmingham shortly? That could be a good opportunity for you to meet up with some of the folk here in person (not me, I'm further up north). Look on the "events" section for details.
 :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Troo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:00:57 pm »
Hey Anna, welcome aboard :)

Anna

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:20:52 am »
Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely check out events next, see what I can find. Sounds intriguing!

Anna

eagledare

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 07:59:25 pm »
welcome, anna.. ;)

Anna

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:21:16 am »
Thanks!
Nice to be able to talk to some like-minded people!!
Anna

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:53:18 am »
Hello,

Glad you like it here. I'm usually more put in the horror camp, but I've just finished the last Potter book. They really do belt along, except The Order...,  I can't wait to see the next two films.

Wayne.

Anna

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:57:30 am »
Hi Wayne
I have to say I never read any of the Potter books. My mom's an avid fan and drags my dad along to the movies, and my nephews love them, but I decided not to read them. I did start the first one and found myself being sucked into it, so decided not to continue.
I know that doesn't make any sense, but I'm a very impressionable reader who likes to write, and I knew anything that addictive would impact on my writing style.
I already have enough Tolkien-esque quirks to my language use - so I've been told - that I didn't want to mix it with anything else! At the moment I'm striving not to include Scott Lynch-esques and Joe Abercrombie-esques into my writing - their rather graphic style clashes somewhat with the rest of what I write! Once I find my voice I'll be fine - at the moment I'm still using bits of everyone else's.

Anna

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 12:33:29 am »
I know what you mean. I write a bit now and again, and sometimes a strong author can really effect the way you think.

You could try reading lots of authors so you have a multitude of influences.

Wayne.

Anna

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 09:50:10 am »
Or of course I end up with a multitude of ideas I don't know whether I've plagiarised from someone else, and have to read all the books again to find out!  :-\ ARGHH!!  ;)

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 04:58:10 pm »
That's what editors are for.

Starts running.

Wayne.

RobertWatson

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 01:48:34 am »
Imitation is the sincerest form. Take what you like from the greats, or from your favortites and integrate it into your own writing. You can even practice writing in someone else's style to see how you like it. Its a good exercise. Ok, enough of my unsolicited advice.