Author Topic: The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch  (Read 3336 times)

Anna

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:24:05 am »
Without doubt the best debut novel I have ever read. Scott Lynch is a wonderful writer and fortunately, there are 5 novels on the Gentlemen B*stards (the head of which is Locke Lamora) so there should be a lot more of excitement to come.

It's very adult (i.e. there's lots of swearing and a bit of horizontal refreshment) which gives it a cheeky relateability, and the characters are incredibly well realised.
The plot twists more than a snake on the dancefloor but never becomes too complicated - more lots of realisations like "oh my god, he's also HIM" and "ooh, ooh, I know what that means!" sort of reading.
A pure joy, massively entertaining, and the main character is just fantastic. Never thought I'd fall for a thief, but he's just brilliant.
The land, the people, the city, down to the wildlife and the architecture, the religion and the currency, are all detailed enough to be completely believable.

Honestly, I can't rate this highly enough - I even leant it my mom to read!

Anna

Offline JwBennett

• Initiate
  • Neomythologist
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/waxlyrikal
Re: The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 01:59:17 pm »
I'm just getting into it, and I am enjoying it so far.  It feels a little different.

I'll reserve judgement until the end, but I'm encouraged by your post. :)

http://neomythologist.blogspot.com/

Eddy

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:00:14 am »
I have Lies and Red Seas to read on my shelf...along with about 40 others!!!

One day...maybe next.

Anna

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:02:15 am »
I've got Red Seas on my birthday list i.e. I'm trying to exercise a modicum of self-control by waiting a month to get it and read it!
I'm trying to pace myself so I don't have to wait FOREVER for the next one to hit the shelves.