Author Topic: Stardust  (Read 2802 times)

tamsyn

Stardust
« on: November 05, 2007, 01:49:08 pm »
I saw this yesterday and I would recommend it as a lovely modern fairytale. There are moments when you catch yourself smiling completely unconciously. Another cracker from Mr Gaiman. It's not perfect, I wouldn't have cast Claire Danes for example, she's not quite ethereal enough, but since there isn't enough fantasy at the cinema, it was worth the visit.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Whirlpool
  • Thaumaturge
  • To write. To be truly read. That must be glorious.
    • View Profile
Re: Stardust
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:52:07 pm »
I wouldn't have cast Claire Danes for example, she's not quite ethereal enough

I saw this a few nights ago, thought it was very good even if it did lack the natural humour of The Princess Bride.

As for Claire Danes, I think she was a refreshing change from the usually far too ethereal types as (for me at least) it made the relationship more credible.

My only real criticisms of Stardust are that it tries too hard to be extraordinary with far too many sub-plots. It has Robert De Niro in it for no good reason in a role that is more cringeworthy than humourous, and Ricky Gervais was only in it because he was the 'flavour of the month' comedian, so had appearances in everything going. Removing the entire flying Pirates section would have made a much smoother film.