Author Topic: 30 Days of Night  (Read 5620 times)

ChrisT

30 Days of Night
« on: November 05, 2007, 04:32:26 pm »
Watched this last night... very very good; well-made, with some superb photography and set-pieces (the overhead tracking shot is fantastic) and it is about time vampires were, well, scary again - I can't be doing with all this namby-pamby faux-Victorian/Gothic romance version of a blood-sucker.  ::)

Vampires are cold-blooded killers, end of - and the film makes that point firmly 100%.

The only major minus point is the time-progression: I never once got the impression they were really stuck in that town for a whole month - Melissa George's hair looked perfect all the way through; apart from some slight stubble on Josh Hartnett they all looked clean.

This film also proves two things: David Slade is a director to watch (his debut Hard Candy is just fantastic) and British director's are better than Americans.  ;D

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
Re: 30 Days of Night
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 05:31:44 pm »
I can't be doing with all this namby-pamby faux-Victorian/Gothic romance version of a blood-sucker.

:o
Not even Coppola's superb Bram Stoker's Dracula?

ChrisT

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 08:41:54 am »
I can't be doing with all this namby-pamby faux-Victorian/Gothic romance version of a blood-sucker.

:o
Not even Coppola's superb Bram Stoker's Dracula?

Looked lovely, and I damn sight better than Interview with the Vampire, but the whole vampire mythos has degenerated into some goth romance where the vamps are sexually-charged Lord Byron's as opposed to blood-thirsty killers.

It also doesn't help when vampires became kid-friendly, first with Buffy now with the cartoon Mona the Vampire and new drama Young Dracula on CBBC.

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 12:53:32 pm »
new drama Young Dracula on CBBC.

Really..? Not heard of that show!
 :-\ ::) :(
Now, why can't they do something vaguely interesting... like a 'Young Jesus' sitcom?

ChrisT

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 01:59:41 pm »
new drama Young Dracula on CBBC.

Really..? Not heard of that show!
 :-\ ::) :(

To be fair, it's not bad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Dracula - I've seen one episode) but it's just a progression in the "sanitising" of the myth; vampires are no longer scary, which is great to see something which re-addresses the balance.

I still mourn the passing Ultraviolet.  :(

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:05:06 pm »
I agree with you, Chris, about vampires.

Romanticised anti-heroes are just not how I see them.

The best vampires to me are either elemental forces, as in Lovecraft's The Shunned House (one of the best vampire stories ever) or, usually cinematically, intelligent but savage psychopaths.

I look forward to seeing this film. Sounds more than interesting.

David

Offline D. J. R. Allkins

• Thaumaturge
  • AKA , D.J.R. Allkins
    • View Profile
    • Tides from a scribbling sea
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:40:11 pm »
Saw this last night.  Very good, although it's one of those films, where the humans are lucky the vampires don't carry guns.  Still good shock scenes and the vampires are nasty. 

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 04:51:21 am »
'30 Days Later' is reviewed by Paul Higson at:
http://www.zone-sf.com/screenscene/30dayson.html

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Whirlpool
  • Thaumaturge
  • To write. To be truly read. That must be glorious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 02:06:45 pm »
30 Days of Night.

At last a Vampire film I could truly get my teeth into (someone had to say it).

Box-set with book. Unopened. 5 on a market stall. So I figured that even though I am not the world's biggest Hartnett fan, at a measly 5 it had to be worth having. What a film! Ok so it didn't exactly appear to be over 30 days, but any film that has intelligent vampires with rules, who speak their own language, and are as merciless as these are can be forgiven for the odd flaw.

The acting throughout was good enough to sustain it, but in my opinion the shining star was the incredibly underused and totally gifted Ben Foster. One day that guy will get the kind of role that'll propel him to the A-list.

All in all, 30 days of night is a kick-ass rollercoaster that I would recommend to anyone.

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 05:15:12 pm »
I love this film ... really neat depiction of the Vampires ...

David
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk