Author Topic: Good evening, people.  (Read 7843 times)

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
Good evening, people.
« on: February 25, 2008, 10:15:09 pm »
Well, it was late in the evening when I wrote this.  Anyway, I'm finally on board.

I write fiction and nonfiction, which appears in various places from time to time.  I'm a member of the Glasgow Science Fiction Writers Circle.  I also think music is pretty cool too.  Any more questions?

Troo

Re: Good evening, people.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:40:22 pm »
Yes. Where's my chocolate?

Damnit...  ;D

Hi Jim, welcome aboard!

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:18:28 pm »
That's a coincidence - I think music is pretty cool, too.   

Hi Jim.  :)
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:39:19 pm »
Hi and welcome, Jim.   :)

Don't give Troo any chocolate - give it to me instead!  :P
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:08:54 pm »
Shucks!  Thanks for the warm welcome, folks.  Chocolate for everybody!

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:58:20 pm »
Welcome! Have to agree with Caroline, no chocolate for Troo - the sugar makes her bounce around like a 3 year old on Tartrazine
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

Troo

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 12:12:07 pm »
Welcome! Have to agree with Caroline, no chocolate for Troo - the sugar makes her bounce around like a 3 year old on Tartrazine

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 05:09:40 pm »
Hello Jim.

I've just finally got the other half to visit Scotland the other week and she enjoyed it. We ended up in Edinburgh though, not Glasgow. Dropped in a nice little boozer in Selkirk, had fun with some of the locals in Hawick and had some of the best peas ever in Jedburgh. We dropped in Carlisle castle too.

So any good places in Glasgow to go?

Have fun here,

Wayne.

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:31:08 pm »
Oops - Hi Wayne.  Sorry about the delay.  I've been getting chased by deadlines and haven't checked the boards for a while.  Good bars in Glasgow?  There are one or two.  The Horse Shoe in the town centre has the longest bar in Europe (apparently) and is worth a visit.  Moving east, the revitalised Merchant City (the area between George Square and the High Street) is packed with them.  Blackfriars, Rab Ha's and several others, all within yards of each other, can be recommended.  Moving slightly south, there are a couple of cool rock'n'roll themed bars within walking distance of the Merchant City: The Thirteenth Note and Mono (which even has a record store inside).  And just beyond that is the more traditional (folkie) Scotia, which is one of at least four pubs that is The Oldest Bar In Glasgow.  South of the river (by several miles) is the real ale splendor of The Clockwork Brewery (great guest ales and a lethal line in beers from their own microbrewery). 

Back into town again.  The place is overrun by kit-fitted chain pubs and winebars, but where isn't, these days?  A large chunk of Sauchiehall Street heading up towards Charing Cross seems to consist of nothing but eating and drinking shops, with the odd cashpoint to break up the monotony- handy if you happen to be there, but few of them worth going out of your way for.

Heading into the West End now.  The Uisge Beatha on Woodlands road is packed with character and slopes slightly downhill in a charming manner.  As for the west end itself: if in doubt, head for Asheton Lane just off the top end of Byres Road.  A delightful cobbled street with great bars and restaurants.  Highly recommended.

Of course, there are plenty of bars that are not recommended.  Be very, very careful south of the river or east of the high street.  Some of my favorites pubs are there, but I like them because they tend to be interesting in the Chinese meaning of the word.  For a start, don't go into any bar that looks like a concrete rectangle from the front.

I must confess, I hardly drink nowadays so my information is a bit limited and there are probably stacks of great bars that I've missed out.  There are several good pubs guides available from local bookshops.  Hope this is of some help.

Cheers!

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 01:03:55 am »
The Modern Art Gallery was rather good when I went there a few years back.  Nice layout, decent restaurant on top floor, and some really good exhibits. 

I must have spent about three days in there and still didn't see everything.   :)
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 10:50:42 pm »
Be very, very careful if you're going into GOMA at the moment.  The ground floor has been entirely covered in a very striking black-and-white design.  Sitting on this are, amongst other things, small blocks of gray concrete.  They've got record sleeve spines down one side and are virtually invisible from all other sides.  Even if you happen to be looking down at your feet.

The Tramway's very good as well.  It's another large exhibition/event place with a nice bar/restaurant area. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:54:19 pm by Jim Steel »

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 02:10:52 pm »
Hi Jim,

I'm a writer from Scotland too. Nice to have you here. 

I keep giving up giving up drinking.

Craig

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 10:56:28 pm »
I've always been here, Craig.  Oh - you means the boards, not Scotland.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 07:19:51 am »
Yes, the boards...I'm living in Germany now and haven't been back to Scotland for a long while