Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 4901 times)

Kadiss

Hello!
« on: February 24, 2008, 10:39:55 am »
My name is Ben and I've been a member of the BFS for about six months now, but unfortunately the advent of a new job meant that until recently I've had little time to actually explore what that membership can offer me!

I've been a lover of the SF/F genre since the age of eight, when one of my cousins bought me the first book in David Eddings' Belgariad series for Christmas. Since that fateful day when I tore the festive wrapping off and delved into the realms of fantasy for the first time I've been an avid devourer, and even at university I was best known for my reading "sit-ins".

In July of last year, whilst doing a bit of building work for my father, I came to the realisation that as someone not only with a penchant for fantasy but also a taste for well-constructed sentences (good vocabulary and grammatical skills seem to be far down the list of priorities these days in the UK, more's the pity), it might well be worth my while to put pen to paper and try writing something myself. I'm still in the early stages, but I think I've got a good framework for a fantasy trilogy that will - hopefully - be of interest to people (I know I'm shooting high trying to write a trilogy as a first-time writer, but if I tried to fit the story into one book it'd be a monster!)

I'm not particularly here to shamelessly promote myself (though I'm going to submit some of my short pieces for consideration for inclusion in future issues of Dark Horizons), more looking to get to know a group of like-minded people who have a passion for books and the fantasy genre.

So, in parting I say "hello" and hope that I can fit in here without muddying the waters too much!  ;)

Troo

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:41:27 pm »
Hey Ben, welcome to the clubhouse! Did you bring chocolate? :D

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:07:59 pm »
So, in parting I say "hello" and hope that I can fit in here without muddying the waters too much!  ;)

Hi Ben and don't worry about muddying the waters, some of us like a damn good bogsnorkel.

Best wishes
Josh

And don't feed Troo any chocolate, especially after midnight.  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:09:46 pm by joshua rainbird »
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »
Hello and welcome, Ben.
You can feed me as much chocolate as you like (even after midnight).  ;)
Yours sincerely,
A Chocoholic Anonymous
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 12:19:51 am »
Hey there and welcome!

Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 03:54:40 pm »
Hello Ben,

As said above go ahead and muddy the waters.

The Con usually offers good advice and contacts for budding writers and there is a BFS Short Story comp. in the offing too.

So good luck and enjoy it.

Wayne.

ginger wizard

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 12:15:07 am »
Hi Ben,

Wishing you all the best. I`m just getting to know everyone.

Good luck with the writing, keep going and I`m sure you`ll make it!!

Nothing wrong with a little self promotion.