Author Topic: DOUBLE DRAGON INTERVIEW  (Read 1177 times)

Stu

DOUBLE DRAGON INTERVIEW
« on: October 26, 2003, 08:13:02 am »
Right, this interview is supposed to be going up on the Double Dragon Publishing site but there’s been some kind of delay so Brutal said I could post it here for the time being. Ladies and gentlemen I give you Brutal Dreamer’s interview with the one, the only -- STUART YOUNG!!!!!

Oh, come on. At least PRETEND to be interested.

BRUTAL DREAMER: HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOURSELF AS A PERSON AND AS A WRITER?

As a person –- Honest. Modest. Daydreamer. Sarcastic. Self-deprecating. Shy (until I get to know people). Witty (but nowhere near as much as I like to think I am).

As a writer -- A genius.

Um, no, I just do my best and hope it turns out okay.

BRUTAL DREAMER: WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT WRITING STORIES? WHY?

Generating ideas. A lot of the time the fun part is saying, “What if this happened? What if that happened?” Nothing’s fixed in the initial stages so I can just come up with any idea no matter how ludicrous -- “What if a sentient jacket potato was humanity’s only hope of survival?” That part’s just like playing. Of course I can still change things in the later stages of writing but by that point it’s a real pain making sure I’m not contradicting the rest of the story.

BRUTAL DREAMER: HOW WOULD OTHER AUTHORS DESCRIBE YOUR WRITING
TECHNIQUES OR STYLE?

Comments that keep coming up are that I portray very realistic characters and my stories have a strong narrative drive. I’ve been told that some of my stories are “horribly funny” which probably explains why some people compare me to Roald Dahl. And I’ve also had some of my stories compared to the works of Alan Moore, Douglas Adams, and Joe R. Lansdale. Which I was absolutely over the moon about.

BRUTAL DREAMER: WHAT CAN YOU OFFER US OTHER AUTHORS THAT OTHER WRITERS CANNOT?

Fast-paced stories laced with humour and carrying emotional depth.

In some stories I like layering extra information through the story by playing around with typography and wordplay and cultural references. Or by having scenes acting as echoes and reflections of previous scenes, adding new dimensions to what has already occurred in the story whilst simultaneously moving the plot forward. That’s the theory anyway.

Of course in some of my stories I don’t bother with any of that stuff, I’m just having fun.

BRUTAL DREAMER: WHAT ABOUT WRITING ATTRACTS YOU? WHY?

The fame and fortune and -- oh hell, I’ve chosen the wrong vocation haven’t I?

In that case it’ll have to be the hope that I can one day write stories that entertain other people as much as my favourite authors have entertained me.

BRUTAL DREAMER: WHAT IS UNATTRACTIVE ABOUT WRITING? WHY?

1) Rewrites. I know they’re a necessary evil but somehow my brain always focuses on the evil part of the equation.

2) Rejections. “This is good but it’s not what we’re looking for.” So that means you’re looking for BAD stories?

3) Getting people to notice my work. Here’s a typical scenario.

READER: I really liked your story. Is it the first story you’ve ever had published?

ME (through clenched teeth): More like the fiftieth.

4) Networking. I hate it at conventions when I meet an editor or a publisher and all I want to do is have a friendly chat but there’s a little voice in my head saying, “You’ve got 30 seconds to give them your business card. Go! Go! Go!” So I sheepishly hand them the card and they stare at it like I’ve handed them a dead fish.

On the plus side sometimes networking does lead to having friendly chats with people I would never normally have met.

BRUTAL DREAMER: WHAT ARE YOUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS IN YOUR WRITING CAREER THUS FAR?

I’ve had a story published in THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF FUTURE COPS. It was a big thrill to be featured alongside authors like Philip K. Dick and Joe Haldeman.

My collection of horror short stories SPARE PARTS is due out from Rainfall Books in July. Tales of love, death, and broken dreams.

And seeing as this is a Double Dragon interview I should probably mention SHARDS OF DREAMS, an eBook of fantasy short stories due out from DDP in Spring 2004. The stories in this collection are fairly varied; channelling adventure, comedy, and tragedy through a fantasy lens. Dark fantasy, cosmic fantasy, kung fu fantasy, science-fantasy, humorous fantasy, romantic fantasy, heroic fantasy, religious fantasy, contemporary urban fantasy. Hopefully there’s something for everyone.

BRUTAL DREAMER: IF A STORY YOU WROTE WAS EVER TO GO TO HOLLYWOOD, WHAT WOULD THE TITLE BE? WHO WOULD STAR IN IT? WHAT WOULD THE RATING BE? WHAT WOULD THE GENRE BE? WOULD IT BE A BOXOFFICE BUST OR BOXOFFICE HIT?

I’m going to cheat and say I’d write an adaptation of the HITMAN comic by Garth Ennis and John Mcrea. An action-comedy about a small time assassin with lowgrade superpowers. Starring Colin Farrell as Tommy Monaghan and Ice Cube as Natt. Halle Berry as Debs Teigel. Rating R. A worldwide hit.

If you’ve no idea what I’m talking about then go and read the comic. It’s great!

BRUTAL DREAMER: IF YOU COULD PICK ANY WOMAN IN THE WORLD TO STAR AS YOUR LEADING LADY --WHO WOULD SHE BE? LEADING MAN --WHO WOULD HE BE? WHY?

Leading lady –- Jennifer Garner. She likes martial arts. She seems to be pretty self-effacing. She’s got an extensive collection of Daredevil comics. Oh, and she’s drop dead gorgeous.

Leading man -- Jackie Chan. His fight scenes are just so inventive, the way he incorporates everything about his environment into the choreography. The man’s a physical genius.

BRUTAL DREAMER: TELL US MORE ABOUT YOU. TELL US YOUR MOST INTIMATE SECRETS, IDEALS, AND GOALS.

Well, there was the time with the sheep and the bathtub full of sherry trifle … um, on second thoughts I’d rather not go into that.

Obviously I’d like to achieve fame and fortune with my writing. Nothing too over the top; I’d be happy to have as much money as Stephen King. Maybe a little more.

Ideally I’d like success in more than one genre rather than getting pigeonholed. That’s why I followed a horror collection with a fantasy collection. Ultimately genre doesn’t interest me as much as the idea of telling good stories.

I’d love to write some professional comics. I’ve written some short indie strips for Usher, Fusion, and SF Revolution Comics and I’m currently writing a 2-part mini-series for Engine Comics but I’d really like to write a mini-series or graphic novel for a major publisher. It’d be great if I could also draw the story but that’s not likely to happen unless I write something called ‘Attack of the Poorly Drawn Matchstick Men’.

Once I finish the mini-series for Engine Comics I’m hoping to write some longer prose stuff. My attitude in the past has been I’d rather condense an idea into a good short story as opposed to padding it out into a bad novel but I feel the time has come to stretch my wings with a novel. Or at least a novella.