Author Topic: The trouble with reading...  (Read 9705 times)

Offline Roy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: The trouble with reading...
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 06:01:54 pm »
Why read when you can listen, and in this case it's free.  (Assuming you have the connection and the equipment)

Transmissions from Beyond - The TTA Press Podcast is now live and stories from TTA press magazines are being podcast from the site at no charge.  The idea is that you enjoy them so much you subscribe.

TTA publish 3 magazines; Interzone, (SF &F) Black Static (Horror) and Crimewave so as the number of stories on the site builds up you'll find some from each genre. 304

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:03:53 pm by Roy »

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Whirlpool
  • Thaumaturge
  • To write. To be truly read. That must be glorious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 05:04:08 pm »
Transmissions from Beyond seems to be having a problem with transmitting at the moment, I hope that situation resolves soon.

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 06:32:49 pm »
I solve this problem by being hyper-critical of everything. Means there's less I want to read.  :P

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 06:51:51 pm »
It's funny to see this thread resurrected, because back then I'd bought loads of books I hadn't read, but this year I've read virtually every book I've bought - apart from the Penguin Mini Moderns box set, and I'm working on that one.

I just don't bother buying Kindle books unless I'm ready to read them. If I don't fancy reading them right away I'll just download a preview - if I never get around to the preview, no point in buying the book.

Having said that, I bought 1Q84 this week, and I'm hopeful of getting around to that rather than confident...

Offline stewartguitar

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 01:29:12 pm »
I have a book right beside me, but just spent half an hour playing the BFS forum game instead.

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 02:32:08 pm »
I always find time to read, with a short story a day minimum plus novels, non-fiction, etc.  It's never a chore, I just need to make sure I do it so that it doesn't feel a wasted day (ie only work, tidying, jobs about the house, etc).  Can't imagine a life without books.  I love stories in any and every shape and form.

I have to say, I got rid of my TV a few years ago as well and that really helped - a mediocre book is far more enjoyable than a mediocre TV show.  In fact, far better that a 'good' TV show, usually!  And even though I'm now stuck with a TV again (there are only so many times you can suffer a great movie on a tiny laptop screen) its absence has set up a nice reading habit.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 11:25:41 pm »
I go through fits and starts generally starting with an author's works starting at book 1 and then completing sequentially as many as I can obtain - mainly lit and text books and - dare I say it? - rarely genre.  I like to analyse how their style changes with experience - something I used to do long before I started writing.

I also read certain books over and over again: Animal Farm 11 times; Primo Levi's essays on Auschwitz -The Drowned and the Saved 6 times; and Bernard McLaverty's anthologies several times.

And sadly I read too many magazine/journals which - considering the price amounts to a third of a book - disgusts me.

But to answer the original post: I have too many unread books and having a Kindle has compounded the problem.  But several trips to the laundrette should resolve that.
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 09:24:44 am »
Life gets in the way of reading, and by life I mean kids.  I remember reading Dan Simmons Carrion Comfort in one sitting.  I can barely manage a short story in between keeping the kids amused.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 01:13:15 pm »
I love me Kindle.

It was bemusing. At Fantasycon I had the same conversation with so many authors/editors/publishers, when asking about ebook editions. All of them found the need to tell me how they didn't really like ebooks & much preferred a "Proper" book.

Who doesn't? The thing is, ebooks are cheaper, easier to find when your house is so full of books that any hope of organizing them sensibly has long gone & don't take up space in a small house that is already so full of heaps of books, CDs & other stuff that vacuuming involves a good hour of clearing the floor first.

Buying real books had that fun collecting element that I embraced oh so fully. 25 years or so ago, I loved to take bags full of books & mags around Fantasycon & get as many signatures as possible. This year I took nothing with me. I just got the books I bought there signed, if it was convenient. No more running around trying to get that last missing signature I "needed". Getting too old for all that.

Due to my former habits, I have I would estimate, a couple of thousand books I've never read.I could easily never buy another book & still have enough to last me until I die. The thought that I might not live long enough to catch up depresses me somewhat. The thing is, I'm still never going to stop picking up new stuff.

ebooks & the kindle have brought me to a new approach. The idea that I never need to buy the book until a minute before I want to read it, because it's always going to be available on demand. Am I sticking to this?
No! I have a ton of ebooks I haven't read yet. I've even picked up copies of stuff I have in "proper" book form, simply because it's easier than trying to find it in the heaps, in front of/on top of the boxes, in front of the shelves in the spare room (& every other corner of the house).

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 01:23:29 pm »
Due to my former habits, I have I would estimate, a couple of thousand books I've never read.I could easily never buy another book & still have enough to last me until I die. The thought that I might not live long enough to catch up depresses me somewhat. The thing is, I'm still never going to stop picking up new stuff.

Yup, I pretty much concur with that!

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 07:17:14 am »
Gosh, this is an old thread!  :D

Well, since then a lot has changed - in fact I now get through twice as many books as I used to. How? Ironically, thanks to work: I don't do sports, so in order to keep fit for the past year I've been walking to and from work, every shift. An hour there, an hour back. That's 40 hours a month 'dead' time. Only it isn't dead time at all, because I listen to audio books. Fantastic way to catch up on your reading pile! Highlights this year include His Dark Materials trilogy, A Game of Thrones, The Interpretation of Murder, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, The Year of the Flood, children's books by Frances Hardinge, Julia Golding and -

- well, just an absolute ton of audio stuff! Curiously, all of them novels, apart from Kazuo Ishiguro's Nocturnes, a 5 novelette collection, each read by a different narrator. Still reading physical books, too, at home and during my lunch break at work: right now Michael Moorcock's The Dancers at the End of Time and J.G. Ballard: The Complete Short Stories, which is 1200 pages (currently two thirds of the way through it). And just last month I went on a triple-Jones anthology binge - Best New Horror 22, Haunts and A Book of Horrors - 1500 pages in total! Incidentally, for the curious my reviews of all three can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1AYLPPIHA68A1/ref=cm_cr_dp_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 09:03:14 am »
I tried some audio books and was put off by hearing a voice - which I put down to never being told bedtime stories as a kid
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 09:35:43 am »
About a year ago I realised I had so many books unread that I decided on a simple system to work my way through them. There's now a numbered list on my pc and when I finish one book my partner selects a number at random and that's the next book I read. This has led me to reading stuff I bought 20+ years ago but never got round to looking at (and probably wouldn't have done if I hadn't started using this system). It also adds an impetus to continue reading because I can see what fine books are on the list. Generally I have two books on the go at once - one at home and one at work. Even though I'm adding books all the time, there is a feeling that I'm getting through them :)

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 10:12:42 am »
That's a great idea, Andrew.  Sometimes, no matter how good a book is bound to be, I might be bored of just seeing it there on my to read shelf if it's been there a while and so read a newer addition.  The random reading raffle sounds like the way forward.  :D

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 12:20:08 pm »
I used to have every book & short story entered into a 3"x5" card file system (this was way before t'internet). Being, at the time, a gamer too, I had a nice set of dice & worked out a method of using 2 x 20 sided dice to randomly generate what I read next.

Sadly, the collection is now such that they are no longer in any sort of database (I bought Book Collector from Collectorz.com, but soon realised that I had insufficient space to be able to sort the books well enough to easily catalog them, & I was going to end up spending more time updating it than I would reading, which was the reason I gave up on the card file system all those years ago).

Even if I did catalog them all, there's too little room to store them in any coherent manner, which would make it possible for me to generate an unread book randomly & actually find it.