Author Topic: Guy Adams to stand for Chair at this year's AGM.  (Read 9460 times)

Troo

Guy Adams to stand for Chair at this year's AGM.
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:16:49 pm »
Some already know, some don't yet, so here's the news: Guy Adams will be putting himself forward for Chair at this year's AGM.

On the campaign trail, Guy is in the Pantechnicon forums ready and waiting to answer your questions, address your concerns, and hear your suggestions. To avoid spam the Pantechnicon boards require that you register before you post, but I think a great deal of members here are also members there too ;)

Click here to interrogate him.

Why is he there and not here? Well, ask him  ;D

Alasdair5000

Re: Guy Adams to stand for Chair at this year's AGM.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:17:41 pm »
*Cheers *

Good going that man!  Also good going that Troo! 

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Expertsí Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 05:18:05 pm »
Good going Adams, Trudi and Alasdair as well!

?and any people reading this as well!

Yay me!

?perhaps decaf tomorrow morning.
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Ken Robbie

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:59:46 pm »
So it's goodbye to Marie, Paul, Dave and Vicki (anyone else?). Welcome new committee members, whoever you are. I'm aware that there are two candidates already, but it ain't a forgone conclusion. If you're not happy with the direction the jolly BFS has taken (too much horror I hear) perhaps you should consider standing for chair, secretary, etc. Anyway, whoever takes these roles: good luck to you, and best wishes.

Ken Robbie

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:01:25 pm »
PS. Is the web-manager remaining in post?

Troo

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:56:38 pm »
Well it's not necessarily goodbye to anyone just because someone else is standing for the position. After all, that's in part what the AGM is for - to have a vote on these things :)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:20:08 pm »
Marie, Paul, David and Vicky all decided to step down a while ago, so Ken's right to say goodbye (although I don't think they are leaving the Society).

At the moment Guy and Helen are running unopposed. Between them they could end up with six or seven posts: chair (and Fantasycon organiser) and special publications for Guy; secretary, treasurer, awards administrator and short story competition administrator for Helen.

Only chair, secretary and treasurer are voted on, though - all the others (I think) are decided by the chair and the committee. And although Secretary and Treasurer are recognised as separate posts, they may be combined as and where necessary, so unless someone else stands for either secretary or treasurer, I think that means there will just be the two votes at the AGM.

All Fantasycon attendees can attend the AGM, but only BFS members can vote, so you'll have to join if you want to vote, Troo...

Offline Guy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 06:29:11 am »
Hello!

So... yes, I'm running as Chair (and lots else it would seem!).

Just want to say first of all: the decision to stand was not taken lightly though the decision to answer questions over on the Pantechnicon forum certainly was!  Spontaneity thy name was Adams.  Please don't think I was ignoring this forum, not my intention.  The offer was there and I snatched it! I think the conversation is comfortably placed over there though as I certainly don't take my election for granted there may be opposition yet! To waffle away theoretically in neutral ground seems a good thing therefore. Also questions from people that are not members but might like to be are more likely to find their way through (as has already happened).  Frankly discussion of the BFS elsewhere on the internet can only be a good thing.

I've not posted on this forum before (I've never been much of a social forum user to be honest this board has been ignored like so many others!) but believe the chair of the BFS is damned important so hope people will join in with the discussion both here and over at Pantechnicon.

Troo

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 11:24:29 am »
All Fantasycon attendees can attend the AGM, but only BFS members can vote, so you'll have to join if you want to vote, Troo...

Well, re-join. Which I shall be doing now that payday's come  ;D

That is, so long as Vicky can guarantee that she kept my membership number for me ;)

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 06:43:21 pm »
Trudy, I'll sort that one for you in a bit, I did notice your payment email so thanks for joining :-)

Guy - good luck to you, it's a big job but someone's got to do it.  Had it been a few years back I may have had a go but I've done my stint with the society, time for fresh people and fresh ideas.  It's a bit of a shame we've all decided to do a mass exodus but that's the way these things go, and we all have worked extremely hard and done our best for the society.  I didn't realise but I've been with the committee for about 8 years, where does the time go?

Vicky :)

ChrisT

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 02:14:48 pm »
I didn't realise but I've been with the committee for about 8 years, where does the time go?

Vicky :)

You sometimes get less for murder, Vicky.  :o

Ken Robbie

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 04:45:28 pm »
So far in 2008 -- two Prisms, one Dark Horizons and one New Horizons. and the special book (The Dick and Jane Primer which I have to own up and say i didn't really like that much; sorry) And it's just halfway through the year. this is a great start to a revitalised society. well done all. This bright start will be a sound starting place for Guy when/if he becomes chairman.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 06:42:51 pm »
So far in 2008 -- two Prisms, one Dark Horizons and one New Horizons. and the special book (The Dick and Jane Primer which I have to own up and say i didn't really like that much; sorry) And it's just halfway through the year. this is a great start to a revitalised society. well done all.

And the best is yet to come!  ;)

David

Troo

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:53 pm »
New Horizons #1 looks fabulous. Thanks for getting that mailing out so fast, Vicky :)