Author Topic: What Should Have Been a SHORT Introduction  (Read 4181 times)

AdrianF

What Should Have Been a SHORT Introduction
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:07:22 am »
Hello,

Despite being a BFS member for a year and having first registered on these forums nearly 2 years ago, I've never posted.  So here goes.

I'm Adrian, 35, from Surrey.  I predominantly write fantasy but I like taking tropes and twisting them gently, and tend to litter my work with splashes of Horror and Science Fiction (Lovecraftian B-Movie aliens anyone?).  I've had some success over the last 10 years in non-fiction (contributing to magazines and books), but all that came about as a detour from fiction.

For the last two years I've been working seriously on my fiction.  I'm a member of Thames Valley Writer's Circle, a very large group comprised of published and unpublished writers.  My writing, despite being the only SFF writer,  now regularly wins circle competitions and I recently got a Highly Commended for my humorous fantasy story, Red, in the National Association of Writers' Groups' Short Story competition.  That said I remain unpublished in fiction, something I desperately want to rectify.

As with most writers, I'm currently working on a novel, the first in a planned trilogy.  I'm about 60,000 words in, and it's a strange genre-bending mix of epic fantasy, urban fantasy, science fiction and maybe a splash of manga.   I like elves but only find them interesting when they come with Uzis and religious-intolerance.

I'm not very snobby with my influences.  I love pop culture and eagerly soak it up like a sponge whether books or comics, or TV or film.  Growing up probably Tolkien, CS Lewis and Clive Barker had the biggest literary influence on me.  In recent years, I really like what Scott Lynch is doing, and I keep waiting for Joe Abercrombie's books to come out as ebooks (I've gone digital) as I think they would be completely up my street.

I'll be attending Fantasycon next week, with a view to networking and getting to know other poor souls who have strange tales running round their heads that they just want to write down (we should form a support group).  I hope to make some new friends (not that there's anything wrong with the old ones, but the closest they get to fantasy is playing World of Warcraft) and get a better idea of short story market opportunities and the best way to progress my writing career.

So please when you see me looking lost and overwhelmed at Fantasycon, please say Hi, take me under your wing and drag me to a panel or two.  I'm very low maintenance.

Troo

Re: What Should Have Been a SHORT Introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:09:17 pm »
I like elves but only find them interesting when they come with Uzis and religious-intolerance.

You're in! Hello :D

Martin Roberts

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:23:25 pm »
Welcome aboard Adrian... I'll keep an eye out for you at FCon next week!

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Expertsí Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:30:57 pm »
Welcome! You're among friends here...

(quick, someone get his wallet and empty it, then fill his arms with books)
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 02:02:05 pm »
Welcome Adrian!

sink_plunger

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 04:27:56 pm »
Greetings from another newbie, Adrian.  I like the sound of your novel already - I'll certainly keep an eye open for you at FantasyCon.