Author Topic: LOST  (Read 9651 times)

Owen

LOST
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:38:48 pm »
Righty-Oh... I watched the first season back when it came out and loved it. It seemed like a more intelligent kind of show that treated the audience with a little respect and didn't feel the need to explain everything immediately.

Then I started watching season two, and about a third of the way into it I realised that absolutely nothing had happened in about seven episodes so I gave up and although I've been tempted to venture back into the world of Jack and Co. the bad taste that S2 left has stopped me.

However...

I recently got BT Vision, which has the first 3 seasons available on demand, so I have started to watch it again, struggling through the second season. I'm about 20 episodes in and, other than the arrival of 'Henry Gale' the rest just feels like filler to me. The introduction of the second group, which should have had a monumental effect on the series, whimpered out rather quickly. Anna Lucia has stopped being a threatening or even interesting and Mr Echo has spent the last god knows how long building something.

I am almost through the season and, so far, it seems like I could have skipped the entire thing and moved onto season three as, no doubt, the entire season will be condensed into a 1 minute montage that fully explains it.

Does it get any better of have I wasted what amounts to virtually an entire day watching something that is bobbins?

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: LOST
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 10:22:40 pm »

I'm afraid that Lost rather lost me
Or I lost interest in it

It's another example of repeating the easy stuff in order to match an initial success. A friend of mine likened this sort of thing to flogging a dead horse -- although to me that phrase conjures up more disturbing images.

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:12:11 am »
Season 3 was a bit here and there, IIRC, but Season 4 was ace (so long as you ignored the eppies that focussed on Jack and Kate, cos, YAWN!)  There was lots of time hopping and fab jaw dropping moments and the season finale... gosh...  :o  Am looking forward to S5 just to see where they're going to take it...   ;D 

Owen

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 07:53:29 am »
That seems to be the reason that most people continue to watch the show - to see how they resolve it. Most freely admit that it hasn't been as good since S1, but feel like they deserve to know what is actually going on. It's like they invested so much with the first year that they're willing to put up with any amount of dross to get the answer.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:29:39 am »
That seems to be the reason that most people continue to watch the show - to see how they resolve it. Most freely admit that it hasn't been as good since S1, but feel like they deserve to know what is actually going on. It's like they invested so much with the first year that they're willing to put up with any amount of dross to get the answer.

I couldn't disagree more - I mean, some people might see things the way you say, but bear in mind you're in the middle of the programme's one and only dip. The problem it had at that point was that there wasn't much new to reveal in the flashbacks. It had a dip, but it didn't have a Heroes-style meltdown.

But once you get past the six-episode pod at the beginning of season three, Lost goes from strength to strength, not only equalling but surpassing those early episodes again and again. At risk of spoilers, I won't point you to any particular articles or episodes, but Matt Rousch at TV Guide, for example, has been raving about it for the last year.

In the UK I think Lost has always been handicapped - part of the fun are the discoveries you make while watching it. But here, newspapers and magazines think nothing of giving those things away in advance. I remember reading a feature in the Radio Times when the programme first launched here, and how shocked I was that it set out everyone's backgrounds and backstories - effectively destroying all the suspense from the flashbacks in season one.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:37:52 am »
I try to avoid reading reviews and articles beforehand about films and TV programs, because I have had my enjoyment of them tarnished, if not exacrlt spoiled, by having too much revealed beforehand. I absolutely hate that kind of thing.

Though, saying that, I'm afraid I have never got into watching LOST. That's something I will one day catch up on via DVD.

David

Owen

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 08:45:01 pm »

I couldn't disagree more - I mean, some people might see things the way you say, but bear in mind you're in the middle of the programme's one and only dip. The problem it had at that point was that there wasn't much new to reveal in the flashbacks. It had a dip, but it didn't have a Heroes-style meltdown.

But once you get past the six-episode pod at the beginning of season three, Lost goes from strength to strength, not only equalling but surpassing those early episodes again and again. At risk of spoilers, I won't point you to any particular articles or episodes, but Matt Rousch at TV Guide, for example, has been raving about it for the last year.

In the UK I think Lost has always been handicapped - part of the fun are the discoveries you make while watching it. But here, newspapers and magazines think nothing of giving those things away in advance. I remember reading a feature in the Radio Times when the programme first launched here, and how shocked I was that it set out everyone's backgrounds and backstories - effectively destroying all the suspense from the flashbacks in season one.

So I shouldn't simply give up? It's just that S2 seems littered with bad writing and plotting (I am getting a bit sick of episodes revolving around a character in flashback only for that person to die at the end of the episode - SO WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE EPISODE!?!, or simply treading water until the next revelation
- OOOOH... Sawyer's got all of the guns, I wonder what they're going to do with that? Oh, right, he's going to give them to anyone that asks nicely...).

I shall no doubt continue to watch it though - after all it's free.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 10:34:14 pm »
If you enjoyed season one at all, I'd definitely continue. In particular, the "game-changer" at the end of season three makes season four unmissable. And from season three on there are fewer episodes per season, so each of them really has to count (apart from one really dumb season three episode featuring the actor who was the Persian god-king in 300).

US programmes generally go on so long that you really have to want to watch them... At the moment I'm enjoying Chuck, but at the back of my mind I'm thinking, do I really want to watch another 100 or so episodes of this?

Owen

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:49:24 am »
Just about to watch the S2 finale - it had better be a doozy!!!

I am soooo late getting into stuff like this. I still haven't watched more than a couple of episodes of HEROES yet, although from what I hear it stuffers from Lost-syndrome as well.

Alasdair5000

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 01:43:46 pm »
Chances are quite a lot of Season 3, specifically the first six episodes are REALLY going to irritate you.

Stick with it.

Because there's one episode, Stranger in a Strange Land, I think that lands not long after that which is really rather astonishing.  Worth your time:)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 05:59:42 pm »
I don't think I understand this advice: stick with it for 1,2,3,4... episodes, or ignore the rotten season 2, etc, etc, because it gets better, especially the penultimate episode... I just don't think I have enough hours in my life to waste watching dross. I gave up on Lost, Robin Hood, Merlin, Bonekickers, Primeval, Jericho, Deadwood, and others I've forgotten. I'm fast losing interest in Heroes.

And when they manage to make an outstanding show -- Carnivale -- they dump it. Go figure.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 06:51:39 pm »
I gave up on Lost, Robin Hood, Merlin, Bonekickers, Primeval, Jericho, Deadwood, and others I've forgotten. I'm fast losing interest in Heroes.
Read a good book instead.

Me, the only genre-orientated programs I currently enjoy are Dexter, Reaper, Pushing Daisies and The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The rest...

David

Alasdair5000

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 09:34:26 pm »
I don't think I understand this advice: stick with it for 1,2,3,4... episodes, or ignore the rotten season 2, etc, etc, because it gets better, especially the penultimate episode... I just don't think I have enough hours in my life to waste watching dross. I gave up on Lost, Robin Hood, Merlin, Bonekickers, Primeval, Jericho, Deadwood, and others I've forgotten. I'm fast losing interest in Heroes.

And when they manage to make an outstanding show -- Carnivale -- they dump it. Go figure.

I take your point and I actually bailed on Lost back in the first season when one of them found a cable that clearly led somewhere nearby with a working telecommunications system and...didn't mention it for 64 episodes.

That being said, I think there's been a conflict at the heart of it for a long, long time between an occasionally horrific soap opera about plane crash survivors on an island and an overall plot which, for mainstream TV, is actually very odd and very ambitious.  That's made for some really interesting hours of TV if not consistent seasons.

Offline Guy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 12:26:27 pm »
I've consistently enjoyed it for precisely those ambitious reasons.  No, it's not been perfect but it has been enjoyable and exciting consistently enough that I for one am looking forward to Season 5 and the rest. 

It has never bored me and that's more than be said for a lot of America shows...

Owen

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 06:46:25 pm »
Well, I'm 7 episodes into season 3 aaaaaand... not a lot's happened.

Bugger all has really happened, and - yet again - we have an episode dedicated to a character (in this case Echo) only for the guy to die at the end of it. So that's Anna Lucia, annoying blonde chick and Echo that have all had their backstories delved into only for them to cark it at the end. It's as if to say; 'here y'are... a few tidbits to peak your interest and make you like the character a bit more... and now they're dead. Oh, well, never mind'.

It's refreshing to see a show where 'no one is safe' but it's getting a bit much. Does ANYTHING that we learned about Echo impact on the series AT ALL? I doubt it, so it was a waste of 45 minutes, really.