Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: LOST
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 07:30:09 pm »
Well, you're past the pod now, which is where a lot of people got stuck (though I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed them).

But like Peter says, you shouldn't force yourself to watch something you're not enjoying!

The stories of the characters can be an end in themselves, just like the action adventures on the island. The mysteries and clues are there to add a bit of spice to the drama, but if you don't enjoy the actual meal there's little point watching!

I thought Echo's story was very powerful... Would the programme really have been better if his character had never been in it? And of course his history did explain some important things from the very earliest episodes, and in his death we got our first really good look at the black smoke.

Owen

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 07:52:10 am »
It's not that I am not enjoying the show (which, I admit, is a little bit odd for someone that has mini-rants about it here). It's well acted and the production values are high. I think a lot of it has to with the fact that I am watching it in quick bursts of 5-6 episodes over the course of a few days, at which point it become apparent that not a lot's happened.

I liked the character of Echo - I thought he was the most interesting person in there, but after his death it did kinds scream 'PLOT DEVICE!!!'. He was there to evolve the character of Locke; to get the bald old guy 'back on the path'. As soon as that happened they got rid of him, which was a shame. Locke needed to go through a crisis of faith to make his story more dramatic, and they did the job well, but his back story and the whole building of the church (which went on for aaaaaages only to then be ignored as soon as Echo had something to do) seems somewhat redundant after his ass-whupping by Mr Smokey.

It's still suffering the same plague as season 2; a really slow start before picking up. Hopefully S3 will pick up pace a little quicker, but I will continue to watch as it now has an end in sight and the producers might (just might) actually have an end in sight and planned out, rather than the cynical 'just making it up as they go along' thing.

As for the stories of the characters being an end to themselves, I've got to disagree. A brilliant plot without good characters makes for a bad story, but brilliant characters with a bad plot makes the same. Lost could have both, but seems obsessed with squeezing the story out drip by drip and leaving it to the characters to make up for it.

I like lost, I really do, but it frustrates me!

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 12:32:51 pm »
Aaaaaaaaaand it's back!  Oh yes indeedy!  Season five has now started on Sky One and it had a completely wonderful start. 

** Possible spoilers if you don't have Sky or haven't found means to watch it elsewhere... **

Now we find out where they moved the island to.  Kind of!  And was Sun showing distinct tones of evil-ness in the eppy 2 when she was being all innocent conversational with Kate?   :o  And ooh, her at the end with the black eyes and the 70 hours deadline... wasn't she in one of the earlier season episodes.  One of the Desmond-centric ones wasn't it?  And should we know thingy at the butcher's shop?  Her introduction implied we should.  Ignore Jack and Kate, they still suck the life out of any scene but badass Sayid can kill you with his dishwasher.   ;) 

So is the mysterious whispering anything to do with the time hopping shenanigans?  And who the heck were the soldier dudes with?  They were English so possible Widmore connection?  And Daniel!  Dude!  So many questions!  How is he knowing all these things?!  And that little construction worker bit! 

Brain 'splodes...   ;D   :-*

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 04:14:12 pm »
I've never seen a single episode (or even so much as an entire minute) or Lost, and nothing I've seen or heard about it makes me think I've missed anything! ???

Sorry...
Mike Chinn

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 04:47:32 pm »
That's what I thought, Jen - was she the one who noticed that Desmond was on his second go-round and chatted to him about it?

I thought the soldiers were just regular Dharma guards, but I might have been wrong.

Great idea about the whispering. I hadn't thought of that.

A brilliant start to the new season!

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 08:04:43 pm »
was she the one who noticed that Desmond was on his second go-round and chatted to him about it?

::does quick bit of web fu...::  Ah yes, Finola Flanagan, season three, had the jewellery shop where he was going to buy the engagement ring for Penny and insisted that actually, first time round, he'd changed his mind and never bought it.  And there was a thing with a guy with red shoes who got killed by falling rubble or something, and she used it to illustrate how you can't use foreknowledge to change events because they'll find a way to happen anyway.  Which tied into the 101 ways Des tried to save Charlie from dying on the island thing... 

But is she Daniel's mysterious mother?  Seeing as she has a passing understanding of the whole Lost time-shenanigans malarkey... :o

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 04:28:34 pm »
was she the one who noticed that Desmond was on his second go-round and chatted to him about it?

::does quick bit of web fu...::  Ah yes, Finola Flanagan, season three, had the jewellery shop where he was going to buy the engagement ring for Penny and insisted that actually, first time round, he'd changed his mind and never bought it.  And there was a thing with a guy with red shoes who got killed by falling rubble or something, and she used it to illustrate how you can't use foreknowledge to change events because they'll find a way to happen anyway.  Which tied into the 101 ways Des tried to save Charlie from dying on the island thing... 

But is she Daniel's mysterious mother?  Seeing as she has a passing understanding of the whole Lost time-shenanigans malarkey... :o

Oh
My
God...
Mike Chinn

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 04:40:52 pm »
You wait, Mike, I'll write a review for Prism saying how great it is and then that will be The Official Opinion Of The British Fantasy Society.  ;D

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 08:47:57 pm »

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 11:31:07 am »
Ooh, episode three then... awesomeness or what!  :o  (Mike, close your ears!)   ;)

So that was the Widmore connection then!   ;D  And what do we reckon - does the blond soldier chick grow up to become Daniel's mum?  And just what is going on with the immortal Richard Alpert and his magical eyeliner?!   :D   

But the 'John Locke is destined to lead' stuff from last season makes a new kind of sense now - especially Richard's statement that he was supposed to be a scientist, as time hopping shenanigans show that he'd have associated Locke with the scientists that visited them in the fifties.

Ooh, and is that the last of the red shirts gone now?  (Excepting random Others)

And 'Others 101'!   ;D    And a big awwww to Penny and Desmond! 

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 01:51:03 pm »
If I may iterate a previous posting: Oh my God...
Doesn't it all sound absurb?
I suspect the clue is in the title: the programme makers are so lost, they have no idea how to end the series.

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 03:29:58 pm »
But darlin', that's why it's so much fun!   ;D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 06:05:52 pm »
Peter, if recent episodes have shown anything, it's that all the times you thought the writers were a bit lost before, they absolutely weren't - it's all adding up. :) Plus, they brought Brian K. Vaughn on board last year, and his experience of plotting an ongoing story (from his comics work) has really been evident since then.

Jen, these episodes have been great, but I'd been hoping we might see them back in Black Rock times - maybe next week...

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 07:58:12 pm »
Ooh yes, and find out just how the ship crashed into the middle of the island in the first place...