Author Topic: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction  (Read 63488 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2016, 05:07:22 pm »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #54 is out now, and it features a new short story by Charles Wilkinson, "Septs", and an entire novella – complete in this issue! – by Patrick Whittaker, former winner of the BFS Short Story Competition. "The Policeman and the Silence" concerns a murder investigation in the weird town of Kaza-Blanka. The issue also includes a potentially controversial and inescapably tedious editorial, plus seventy pages of reviews by Douglas J. Ogurek, Jacob Edwards and me.

As ever, the issue is free to download in various ebook formats, and as cheap as we can make it in print, where it's a 196pp paperback with a tremendous wraparound cover by Howard Watts. More info and download links here: http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/theakers54.html

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2016, 08:59:52 am »
If you have ever contributed to Theaker's Quarterly Fiction, you'll probably know that we have a long-standing offer to run free advertisements for suitable projects in the magazine. And if you don't, sorry, it's because I forgot to say, but it still applies!

I thought it might be nice to collect smaller bits of news from contributors too, for a section in the magazine, maybe also for blog posts, if there were enough to make a blog post worthwhile.

So if you've been a contributor to the magazine, and have any news about what you're up to now, here's the link. Bookmark it and let us know whenever you've got something going on.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2016, 05:08:36 pm »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #55 is guest edited by our long-time cover artist, Howard Watts, and includes stories inspired by his art, including competition winner "The Departure" by Mark Lewis, "Our Sad Triangle" by Len Saculla, and "The Stone Gods of Superspace" by Howard Phillips (a TQF crossover special featuring many friends from past issues), plus the more tangentially related "This Alien I" by Antonella Coriander and "The Little Shop That Sold My Heart", and an entire weird novella from Anthony Thomson, "My Place". Then a sixty-page review section features the work of Douglas J. Ogurek, Jacob Edwards, Howard Watts, Rafe McGregor and me. The cover art is by Howard Watts.

It's a fiver in print (this is a 234pp issue), or a free ebook download. More info and download links here: www.theakersquarterly.blogspot.com/2016/07/theakers55.html

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2016, 11:36:30 am »
Last call for our Unsplatterpunk special issue. It's a non-paying hobby project, so don't waste your time clicking on the link if writing fiction is how you make your living!

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2016, 09:21:14 pm »
Really cool idea! I wish I was writing these days, because I'd love to play with this idea. :) (Even if I'm inspired in the next few days, I pretty much guarantee I won't have time to write it in the next month, though.) I look forward to seeing the issue you all end up with.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2016, 05:12:43 pm »
Issue fifty-six of Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction is now out.

It's 240pp long, free in epub, mobi and pdf, and as cheap as we can possibly make it in paperback (£5.17, because it's such a long issue). It features sixty-odd pages of reviews, and six stories of fantasy, horror and science fiction: “Concerning Strange Events at the Manor of Sir Hugh de Villiers, Valiant Knight” David Penn (transcribed from the Middle English), “Three Bodies” by Cam Rhys Lay, “The Christmas Cracker” by Rafe McGregor, “Mr Kitchell Says Thank You” by Charles Wilkinson, “The Cutting Room” by Chuck Von Nordheim, and “Gliese and the Walking Man” by Howard Watts, who has also supplied the spectacularly superheroic cover. My good friend Howard Phillips stepped in to write the editorial on my behalf.

More info and download links here.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2016, 11:20:22 am »
Ten of our Kindle exclusives are free this week: http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/ten-free-ebooks-from-paperback-library.html. I highly recommend the three that weren't written by me.

Offline Stephen Palmer

• Thaumaturge
  • author of novels
    • View Profile
    • http://stephenpalmersf.wordpress.com
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2016, 11:48:30 am »
 ;D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2016, 08:43:25 am »
Issue fifty-seven of Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction is now out. It is one hundred and sixty-eight pages long, and features five tales of fantasy, horror and science fiction: “The Elder Secret’s Lair” by Rafe McGregor, “Nold” by me, “On Loan” by Howard Watts, “The Battle Word” by Antonella Coriander (me), and “With Echoing Feet He Threaded” by Walt Brunston (me). The spectacular wraparound cover is by Howard Watts, and the editorial includes exciting news about the magazine’s plans for 2017, including next year's inaugural TQF Awards! The issue also includes forty pages of reviews, and some sneaky interior art from John Greenwood (not me).

In the Quarterly Review, Douglas J. Ogurek, Jacob Edwards, Rafe McGregor and me consider audios written by Colin Brake, Jonathan Morris, Justin Richards and Marc Platt, books by Cate Gardner, Erika L. Satifka, Harun Siljak, Joe Dever and Karl Edward Wagner, and comics from Joshua Williamson and Fernando Dagnino, G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona, and Erik Larsen, plus the films Don’t Breathe, Ghostbusters: Answer the Call, Ouija: Origin of Evil and Suicide Squad, and the television programmes Preacher season one and The X-Files season ten.

It's free to download, or as cheap as we can possibly make it in print.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2017, 11:21:10 am »
Voting is now open in the first ever, utterly magnificent TQF awards: http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/tqfawards2017.html

Or click here to go directly to the voting form.

The only eligible items are those reviewed in our zine during 2016, but you can vote for as many of them as you like in each category. The winners will probably be announced in Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #59, due out in March.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2017, 10:06:11 am »
Now out: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #58: Unsplatterpunk!

Guest-edited by our American film correspondent Douglas J. Ogurek, this is a special issue, an anthology featuring five founding tales of unsplatterpunk, a brand new genre: “A Desert of Shadow and Bone” by M.S. Swift, “Quand les queues s’allongèrent” by Antonella Coriander, “The Fisherman’s Ring” by Drew Tapley, “The Armageddon Coat” by Howard Watts, and "Scrotal Quilt" by Douglas himself, who describes the genre as featuring "extreme horror stories [that] offer a positive message, whether blatant or subtle, within their otherwise vile contents".

The issue also includes reviews from Douglas, Rafe McGregor and Rose M. Rye, who look at the work of Martin Charbonneau, Joe Dever, Gary Chalk, Neil Gaiman and Daniel Egnéus, as well as the films Arrival and Doctor Strange, and season eleven of the television show Supernatural. The issue concludes with twenty-four pages of notes and ratings for almost everything I read during 2016 but didn't have time to review. The cover is by Howard Watts, his 28th in a row for us!

As ever, it's free to download, and as cheap as possible in print. (Currently £3.34, and you can get a pound of that back with no-rush delivery.)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2017, 03:38:07 pm »
Just one day left to help some lucky blighter become one of the first ever recipients of the Theaker's Quarterly award. They may look like mere rulers, but they represent so much more! Cast your vote here. Ties will be broken by the star ratings items received from our reviewers (where available and relevant), and if that's not enough we will ask Alexa to roll an appropriate dice.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Red Nose Day reviews
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2017, 04:07:03 pm »
This Friday, Red Nose Day, we at TQF will be raising money for Comic Relief by casting aside our scruples, our principles, the very core of our being! That is to say, we will give your book (or any book you choose) a glowing review – without reading it, in the style of fake internet reviews! – if you donate five pounds to Comic Relief.

Click here to donate and book your slot:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/corrupt-reviews-for-cash

We will write and post the reviews in a marathon on Red Nose Day, and they will appear on the TQF blog and in a subsequent issue of the magazine.

If you are an indie author or a small press publisher, this could be a great way to publicise your projects and support a good cause. They will be clearly flagged as our joke Red Nose reviews, so don't worry about anyone thinking you have done something shady!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2017, 09:27:26 am »
Jim McLeod at Ginger Nuts of Horror has been kind enough to host my guest post about fake internet reviews and how I'm using them to raise money for Comic Relief:

http://gingernutsofhorror.com/features/fake-internet-reviews-and-the-one-time-you-should-buy-them

Please take a look, and share if you can. Halfway to my fundraising goal so far!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2017, 10:25:25 am »
We reached our goal of a hundred pounds! And there's a cheque in the post, too. The fake internet reviews are here:

Professor Challenger in Space by SW Theaker
Children of Eden by Joey Graceffa
Letters to Barack Obama from Handsworth
These United States by Clive Tern
There Will Be Walrus: First Volume V
Sea-Girt Jungles by Cyril Collenette
Clovenhoof and the Trump of Doom by Heide Goody and Iain Grant
This is the Quickest Way Down by Charles Christian
Three books by Howard Phillips

It was fun, but quite a challenge. The hardest was Sea-Girt Jungles, because all I had to go on was the title and the author. I ended up doing real research on it, working my way back to a real book review in a journal from the 1920s.