Author Topic: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction  (Read 33641 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »
We're reading submissions now for Theaker's #38 - a good time to submit! The longest guidelines in publishing can be read here.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »
Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #38 is now available in paperback and for free download in various ebook formats.

It features “The Lives and Spacetimes of Thornton Excelsior” by Rhys Hughes (actually eight stories in one); “Better than Llandudno, eh?” by Michael W. Thomas,  and “Old Preach’s Gods” by Z.J. Woods, as well as two stories by contributors to Dark Horizons and Full Fathom Forty: “The Daylight Witch” by Jim Steel and “Off and On Again” by Alison Littlewood.

Books from Paul Magrs, Reggie Oliver, Anne and Todd McCaffrey, Nathalie Henneberg, Glen Duncan, Vendela Vida, Wil Wheaton, Johnny Mains, Guy Haley, Ian Cameron Esslemont, and Catherynne M. Valente are up for review, as well as seven comics, six audio adventures, five films and one game.

Contributing reviewers include Jacob Edwards, Regina Edwards, Michael W. Thomas and Douglas J. Ogurek. Cover art by Howard Watts.

More information and links to downloads on the Theaker’s Quarterly blog.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »
I've also added to our blog a short piece about the BFS I wrote for the FantasyCon 2010 souvenir booklet.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 10:06:27 PM »
I'm very chuffed that TQF was thought to merit an entry in the new edition of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction - at university I used to go up to the library just to sit and read the earlier editions.

And they're really nice about us too: "Although the magazine states that its primary goal is 'to keep going', its real purpose is the publication of absurdist fiction which uses all of the images, tropes and concepts of science fiction and mutates them into indescribable forms."

Course, it's still the beta edition, so there's time for them to come to their senses..!

Offline Jim Steel

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Panglossian Hubris
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »
Nice - I'd missed that one.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 08:08:52 AM »
I'm very chuffed that TQF was thought to merit an entry in the new edition of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction -

Congratulations. Certainly, the one issue whose fiction I real-time reviewed on-line deserves as wide a readership as possible.  It was all truly excellent.  And I've said elsewhere about the reviews in TQF: "So, after the above research and more, I feel Theaker’s Quarterly Reviews are all certainly stimulating, often perceptive, sometimes eccentric …"
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2012, 10:01:10 AM »
Thanks, guys!

In Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #39 we have six more stories of Thornton Excelsior from the magnificent Rhys Hughes, mutant ultraviolence from Mike Sauve, a science fiction tale from our dear friend Douglas Thompson, and our very first interview, with Matthew Hughes. Ben Ludlam illustrates a Thornton adventure, and there are lots of reviews, from Jacob Edwards, Douglas Ogurek and me. The Christmassy cover art is from Howard Watts.

The 38-page review section includes books by Matthew Hughes and E.C. Tubb, audio adventures for Dick Barton and Doctor Who, and comics featuring Atomic Robo, Conan the Barbarian, Frank Miller's Holy Terror, Ian Churchill’s Marineman, the Incredible Change-Bots, Stan Nicholls' Orcs, Rascal Raccoon, and many more. We also look at Borderlands, Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team, Melancholia, Paranormal Activity 3, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn—Part 1, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

In the editorial, “Agendas, Plaudits and Plans”, I talk about my favourite things of 2011, our plans for 2012, the introduction of a new Theaker rule, and – at last! – I reveal the secrets of my hidden agenda.

As ever it's completely free to download, and even the gorgeous paperback version is only a few quid. Links here: http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.com/2011/12/theakers-quarterly-fiction-39-now.html

Happy new year everyone!

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
Thanks, guys!

In Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #39 we have six more stories of Thornton Excelsior from the magnificent Rhys Hughes, mutant ultraviolence from Mike Sauve, a science fiction tale from our dear friend Douglas Thompson, and our very first interview, with Matthew Hughes. Ben Ludlam illustrates a Thornton adventure, and there are lots of reviews, from Jacob Edwards, Douglas Ogurek and me. The Christmassy cover art is from Howard Watts.

The 38-page review section includes books by Matthew Hughes and E.C. Tubb, audio adventures for Dick Barton and Doctor Who, and comics featuring Atomic Robo, Conan the Barbarian, Frank Miller's Holy Terror, Ian Churchill’s Marineman, the Incredible Change-Bots, Stan Nicholls' Orcs, Rascal Raccoon, and many more. We also look at Borderlands, Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team, Melancholia, Paranormal Activity 3, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn—Part 1, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead.

In the editorial, “Agendas, Plaudits and Plans”, I talk about my favourite things of 2011, our plans for 2012, the introduction of a new Theaker rule, and – at last! – I reveal the secrets of my hidden agenda.

As ever it's completely free to download, and even the gorgeous paperback version is only a few quid. Links here: http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.com/2011/12/theakers-quarterly-fiction-39-now.html

Happy new year everyone!

Thanks, Stephen. Just downloaded this onto my brand new Kindle (a present for Christrmas).

A Happy New Year to you too!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2012, 11:31:50 AM »

Thanks, Stephen. Just downloaded this onto my brand new Kindle (a present for Christrmas).

A Happy New Year to you too!

I'm hoping to buy the book itself and RTR its fiction at some stage, as I did with a previous TQF.
Happy New Year to Stephen and David and everyone else.
des

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 05:51:53 PM »
Thanks, fellas! Welcome to the dark side, David!

If anyone with a blog, zine etc would like a free print copy for review, just PM or email me. (No need to guarantee a review, of course.)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »
And, as if by magic, it appears on the main website - without you even having to ask me, Stephen!  ;)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 07:11:24 AM »
Thank you, kind lady!  :)

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 08:02:35 AM »
Lulu has a special offer on the go (as usual - getting a bit worried about them, to be honest):

25% off any books
Coupon Code: LULUBOOKUK305
Coupon expires 31 January 2012
£50 Max Savings

You can find nearly all of our books and magazines here: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/silveragebooks

BFS members might also be interested in these books: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wilwheaton. Wil Wheaton played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: the Next Generation, and in Memories of the Future he watches the episodes he was in, talks about his reaction to them, lets them stir up a few memories. Often very funny - I did a short review of it here.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »
Having seen mags like Morpheus Tales and Andy Remic's Ultimate Adventure Magazine use Issuu, I thought we'd give it a go with a couple of recent issues. Here they are: http://issuu.com/rolnikov.