Author Topic: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction  (Read 58408 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 08:04:55 am »
Although, ironically, I spend most of my time on any typesetting job in Word, tidying up and coding the text. I love Word, passionately! I just wouldn't want to use it for the actual layout.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:34 am »
Word is great -- deals with most of the issues before you use the DTP program. I should point out that my praise was for the PDF version, although I'm sure the others are as good. The print version of #38 and 39 have high production values.

After all this praise, Mr T, I expect a beer, at least. :)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2012, 08:28:14 am »
There are lots of different approaches, but mine is to use Word to code with Quark tags whatever I need to keep (headings, italics, bold, etc), then save to text-only and import to Quark and let it flow... Keeps what I need, ignores what I don't. An ordinary novel without any special requirements should only take an hour or so to typeset.

(Design, on the other hand, can take forever, and I am useless at it!)

The ebook version of TQF could be better, too; I think next issue we might start hand-making them rather than just using Feedbooks, to have a bit more control.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2012, 03:34:26 pm »
Just ordered TQF40 the book from Lulu. Looking forward to it.
des

My real-time review of the fiction in TQF#40 is now complete:
http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/real-time-review-of-tqf-40/
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2012, 10:14:13 am »
Thanks for that - it's nice to know we have a reader!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2012, 09:44:54 am »
I bet you're going on holiday soon, aren't you? And you probably haven't got anything to read. And if you have, I bet you'll read the first page and immediately get bored of it! Why take the chance! Download issue forty-one of Theaker's Quarterly Fiction – or buy a print copy if you're so inclined! – and you'll be assured of a brilliant holiday! And if you don't get a copy I'm going to keep using exclamation marks until you do!

This issue features two long stories – "Milo Don't Count Coup", by Ross Gresham, and Notes on the Bone" by Charles Wilkinson – a shorter one by our old friend Douglas Thompson – "DogBot™" – and fifty (FIFTY!) pages of reviews by me, my daughter Lorelei (now four times as old as she was the last time she wrote a review for us!), Howard Watts, Jacob Edwards, John Greenwood and Douglas J. Ogurek. The ace cover art is by Howard Watts.

This 130pp issue is available in all the usual formats, all free except the print edition, which we’ve priced as cheaply as possible. (Just £3.50 at present!) More information here.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2012, 10:14:00 am »
And I almost forgot - FREE BOOKS!

From now on, with each announcement of Theaker's Quarterly Fiction we hope to offer one or more of our books free of charge on Kindle. These books will be free from now until Thursday:

The Mercury Annual, by Michael Wyndham Thomas

Howard Phillips in His Nerves Extruded – by me!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2012, 12:52:23 pm »
Just bought the print version. :)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2012, 12:59:05 pm »
Excellent! Might actually be the last print edition we do for a bit... I'm thinking about making a Kindle edition the lead version next time, and collecting the issues in a print volume once a year. But I'll see what John says. I often have such notions from which he dissuades me at our monthly editorial meetings!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2012, 01:46:31 pm »
That's the 4th TQF I've bought for the physical bookshelf...an heirloom for my children.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2012, 01:49:27 pm »
That's the 4th TQF I've bought for the physical bookshelf...an heirloom for my children.

Do you have the one which was a double-edition - TQF on one side, turn it round and you had the last ever Pantechnicon edited by yours truly? Not that I'm plugging it or anything, but ....  ;) ;D
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »
Do you have the one which was a double-edition - TQF on one side, turn it round and you had the last ever Pantechnicon edited by yours truly?

No, I'm afraid not. I'll see if it's still for sale.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2012, 02:40:00 pm »
Here it is, Theaker's 32. I made a mistake with that one, and ran the cover pdf off using the wrong choice out of RGB and CMYK, which is why it looks a bit odd. I made the same mistake with Dark Horizons 56.

Have you seen Real Steel, Caroline? Reminded me a lot of the robot fighting story you had in that Pantechnicon.

I did love John's Newton Braddell stories, which came to an end in that issue of TQF. We'll have to put them out as a book this year. He wrote two sequels in a very different style when taking part in Nanowrimo, but he's never let me read them.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2012, 07:07:47 pm »
Have you seen Real Steel, Caroline? Reminded me a lot of the robot fighting story you had in that Pantechnicon.

Thanks, Stephen. No, I haven't. To be honest, I can't remember much of what was in it now. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then! Was that the one by Adam Christopher? (who, of course, is doing great things now with his Angry Robot books)

I do remember, though, that you were a very hard taskmaster when it came to getting the editing spot on. When I sent it to you, I thought I'd done OK - and then you came back with even more things which still needed work on them! But, I was very inexperienced then. I was thrown in at the deep end and learning the hard way!  :D

If you get it, Des, hope you enjoy it!  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2012, 11:30:52 am »
I deleted my Facebook account a few weeks back - and how I miss it! :'( - to encourage myself to use my free time more productively, but any Facebookers missing my particular brand of Whovian tedium and mild controversy can find me behind the counter of the Theaker's Quarterly Facebook page.