Author Topic: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction  (Read 34466 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:35:20 PM »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #25 is out now: as ever it's free to download, and outrageously expensive to buy on paper.

HORROR
Jack, by Bob Lock
Strangers Wear Masks of Your Face, by Ralph Robert Moore
Mississippi Sunshine, by J.R. Parks
In the Vale of Pnath, by John Hall

FANTASY
Murder in the Minster, by Rafe McGregor
Naked Before Mine Enemies: a Tale of Tiana, by Richard K Lyon & Andrew J Offutt

SCIENCE FICTION
Newton Braddell and His Inconclusive Researches into the Unknown: In the Mountain of Sanity; Bombshells; and The Start of a Long Descent, by John Greenwood

There are also a lot of reviews and a few second-hand news items...

benedictjjones

Re: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »
lovely, cheers steve

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »
I'm running a bit late with Theaker's 26, having tried to cram a bit too much in. But I have done something: I've made the last two issues available on Feedbooks. Here's issue 24 and here's issue 25.

It's a great source of (and a great way of distributing) free reading material for ebook readers of all kinds.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:05:13 AM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #26
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:45:58 PM »
TQF26: now out!

This issue of Theaker's Quarterly Fiction has one of our best ever covers, courtesy of the marvellous John Shanks. It shows the three kings doing battle with a demon on their way to Bethlehem. Eric Lowther tells this seasonal story in "We Three Kings".

In the last of our series of stories by Richard K. Lyon & Andrew J. Offutt, Tiana pays a visit to the "Inn of the White Cat". In John Greenwood's series that never ends, Newton Braddell researches "The Cruellest Month". And then John Hall tells the chilling story of "The Burrower Beneath". In the last quarter of the issue we have reviews of the latest from PS Publishing, among others. It's a rather shorter issue than usual (we had to hold some material over to next time), but it's a very nice one.

The editorial is a bit rubbish ? I'm still working through my feelings about losing at NaNoWriMo, so you'll have to bear with me ? but if you skip that bit you'll have a great time with Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #26.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:53:25 PM »
Theaker's 28 is now running wild...

You can download it from our website as a free pdf (click here), buy it as a paperback book from Lulu (click here), or grab it in a variety of ebook formats from Feedbooks (click here).

This is one of our most varied issues yet. It starts in the best possible way with "Quadrant Five" – a bunch of people on a spaceship going who knows where. That's followed by the next riveting instalment of Newton Braddell and a short-short from Josie Gowler, "Soldier", before things get rather literary with the double-barrelled strangeness of "Breaking Out of Sleep" and "Anatomy of a Wounded House", from Barry Pomeroy and Douglas Thompson respectively. Then John Hall wonders whether you dare descend "The Stairs in the Crypt", and Jason Hinchcliffe tells the saga of the "Bloodbegotten".

I round out the issue with a bunch of reviews.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #29
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:49:42 AM »
Now available for free: TQF29, seven stories high. Douglas Thompson takes the lead, with the eerie and poetic "Madame Mortadore & the Clouds". "Foundling" by Nick Sansone follows a painter through a troubled life. "Imaginary Prisons" by David Tallerman has a good deal to say on the subject of prophecies. John Hall delivers the last of his forgotten stories to our horror section, "The Feaster from the Stars". (Its final image is unforgettable.) John Greenwood then lets us have it three times in the third eye, as Newton Braddell continues to wend his hopeless way across the world. The review section contains the usual batch from me, as well as ones by John Greenwood, Rafe McGregor and Steve Redwood, who consider Morpheus Tales #3, a Hound of the Baskervilles graphic novel, and Midnight Street #12 respectively.

As usual, you can download it from our website as a free pdf (click here), buy it as a paperback book from Lulu (click here), or grab it in a variety of ebook formats from Feedbooks (click here).

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 08:22:33 AM »
Click here for an interview with me about TQF...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »
Issue 30 of TQF features not one but two writers using the initials K and J. How many other magazines can say that? Black Static, Interzone, Postscripts and McSweeney's all have their fans, but only Theaker's Quarterly would dare to bring you two K.J.s in a single issue!

The issue opens with "Citadel Ninety-Nine" by Michael Canfield, in which a bloodthirsty army tears its way across a strange, strange world. Also in this issue…

John Greenwood plots the next point in Newton Braddell's weary journey. Jon Vagg shows what really goes on at conventions in "DeadSoulsCon". K.J. Hays tells the story of "The Zombie Who Went to Town in Style". K.J. Hannah Greenberg writes about creatures in mailboxes in "Just One Case of Flash: Another Chimera Story". And Ben Thomas & Skadi meic Beorh win this issue's best title award with "The Periodic Honking of the Fruit-Seller's Truck".

The issue ends with our usual bountiful selection of reviews, including comment on all of this year's British Fantasy Award-nominated novels, two books from Rhys Hughes, and a collection by Steve Redwood.

And of course the editorial apologises for the lateness of this issue...

As usual, you can download it as a free pdf from our website (click here), buy it as a paperback book from Lulu (click here), or grab it in a variety of ebook formats from Feedbooks (click here).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:52:42 AM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 05:40:43 PM »
If you've had a good Christmas, it's about to get better! If you've had a bad one, here is its saving grace! Theaker's 31 is here for your pleasure, with eight terrific stories and nineteen reviews. We have fantasy from Zachary Jernigan and Heather Anastasiu, horror from Alex Smith and David M. Kinne, science fiction from Alison J. Littlewood, David Tallerman, Glynn Barrass and John Greenwood, though as ever these labels are applied somewhat loosely! The marvellous cover is by Howard Watts, while Douglas Ogurek, Rafe McGregor and the editor supply reviews.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 07:09:45 AM »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #32 is now available. This special issue of Theaker's Quarterly features the long-awaited conclusion of our very long-running serial, Newton Braddell's Inconclusive Researches into the Unknown. And on the flipside, a special treat, issue 10 of Pantechnicon! This issue of Pantechnicon includes Alex Davis (founder of Alt.Fiction and former BFS events organiser) on organising literary events and an interview with goremaster Herschell Gordon Lewis, as well as other stories and articles. The lovely TQF cover is by Howard Watts, the lovely Pantechnicon cover by Richard Dyke.

This is rather a sad issue for us. We’d hoped for many, many years that with issue 32 we would finally catch up with McSweeney’s Quarterly Concern – in terms of issue numbers if nothing else. It was a silly, arbitrary goal, but one that kept us going. It wasn’t to be: we’ve produced this issue a bit late, and McSweeney’s managed to sneak out an issue 33 just as the year turned.

The second reason for our sadness is that this issue concludes the saga of Newton Braddell, a virtual ever-present in the magazine since his first appearance in issue 8, back in 2005. Herein we have the final four episodes: the magazine will be forever lessened.

In the style of British comics of old, TQF has absorbed one of the final issues of Pantechnicon, a fellow zine that ran out of steam, as Caroline has announced in another thread. Though I am always glad to see our rivals tumble to their doom, I was more than happy to help them get their last issues out to the world.

You can download the issue as a free pdf here from us, or from Feedbooks in various ebook formats, or even buy a handsome print copy from Lulu.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:38:32 AM »
A bit of awards news...

Douglas Thompson's Anatomy of a Wounded House, from Theaker's #28, has been selected as one of the Notable Stories of 2009 in the StorySouth Million Writers Awards.

The StorySouth award celebrates online fiction, and is administered and I think ultimately judged by Jason Sanford. The list of notable stories every year is a fantastic guide to the breadth of online fiction currently being published.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 08:49:17 AM »
A new issue of Theaker's will be along soon, but in the meantime I've posted an old novel on Feedbooks for free download: Professor Challenger in Space.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 08:59:47 AM »
More awards news, again involving Douglas Thompson.

His collection Ultrameta (from Eibonvale Press), featuring stories that originally appeared in Theaker's Quarterly and Dark Horizons, is up for the Edge Hill award, won last year by Chris Beckett's The Turing Test.

I would use a smiley to show how happy I am but none of them look quite sincere enough...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »
I should be putting the finishing touches to Theaker's 33 today, but of course I'm procrastinating, so instead I've started a blog - Theaker's Quarterly & Paperbacks (http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.com).

We'll leave the old website up for the foreseeable future as an archive (the NaNoWriMo pdfs on there get downloaded thousands of times a year), but this is effectively our new website.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 08:00:36 PM »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #33, perhaps our strangest ever issue, is now available in all our usual formats, many of them entirely free.

Our lead story is "NON", by Douglas Ogurek, a dizzying blur of new words, new fashions and new ideas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as by Anthony Burgess.

Steve Redwood's "Nose Trek" is the story of a nose that implodes upon itself, and the brave souls who go inside to investigate. What happens once the mass of mucus in a nostril has passed the Chandrasekhar limit?

"Houseguest" by D. Harlan Wilson is as odd – and exciting – as anyone who's read his other work would expect, while "El Aullido del Diablo" by Dean M. Drinkel is so entertainingly barmy that I have to confess I'm not entirely sure what it's about. "Bird Talk" by Mark Lord is almost incongruously normal, despite its mix of witches, clerics and boozy tramps.

The cover is by the wonderful Howard Watts, while the reviews are unfortunately by me.

No Pantechnicon supplement this issue, but we have our fingers crossed that it will return, one last time, for #34.