Author Topic: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction  (Read 63113 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2012, 10:23:05 am »
Theaker's 42 is now out, featuring stories by Sophia-Karin Psarras, Mitchell Edgeworth and R.M. Fradkin, plus reviews by Jacob Edwards, Stephen Theaker and Howard Watts. It's free on Kindle for the next few days, and the print version's now from Amazon rather than Lulu, so no more of those pesky postage charges if you use Super Saver Delivery...

And to tie in with the new issue, we've also made a pair of our older books available free on Kindle: The Mercury Annual and Quiet, the Tin Can Brains Are Hunting!

More info here.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2013, 12:23:30 am »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #43 is now out.

This issue features five science fiction stories: "Diving Bird" by Madeleine Beresford, "Through the Ages" by Gary Budgen, "Quasar Rise" by Douglas Thompson, "Dodge Sidestep’s Dastardly Plan" by Howard Watts, and "Flight" by Mitchell Edgeworth, plus my accidentally topical editorial about leaving Facebook, and two dozen reviews from Jacob Edwards, Douglas R. Ogurek, Howard Watts, John Greenwood, Harsh Grewal and me. The cover is by Howard Watts, illustrating his own melodious, murderous fiction confection.

It's available for free download in epub, mobi and pdf formats, while print and Kindle versions are available for purchase on Amazon. More info here.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2013, 01:53:39 pm »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #43 is now out.

This issue features five science fiction stories: "Diving Bird" by Madeleine Beresford, "Through the Ages" by Gary Budgen, "Quasar Rise" by Douglas Thompson, "Dodge Sidestep’s Dastardly Plan" by Howard Watts, and "Flight" by Mitchell Edgeworth, plus my accidentally topical editorial about leaving Facebook, and two dozen reviews from Jacob Edwards, Douglas R. Ogurek, Howard Watts, John Greenwood, Harsh Grewal and me. The cover is by Howard Watts, illustrating his own melodious, murderous fiction confection.

It's available for free download in epub, mobi and pdf formats, while print and Kindle versions are available for purchase on Amazon. More info here.

I have started a RTRcausal of the fiction in TQF #43 here: http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/13881-2/
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2013, 04:07:13 pm »
Neat - thanks!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2013, 11:40:02 pm »
My TQF co-editor John Greenwood has begun to submit stories elsewhere. Here's one of them in Bourbon Penn: http://www.bourbonpenn.com/issue/07/

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2013, 09:34:48 am »
"Didcotts" by John Greenwood, TQF co-editor, appears in the forthcoming Rustblind and Silverbright, edited by David Rix and published by Eibonvale Press, along with stories by Nina Allan, Joel Lane, Andrew Hook, Aliya Whiteley and many more fine writers. He was at the London launch of the book, which should put to rest once and for all the idea that he's a pseudonym of mine!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2013, 01:24:42 pm »
"Didcotts" by John Greenwood, TQF co-editor, appears in the forthcoming Rustblind and Silverbright, edited by David Rix and published by Eibonvale Press, along with stories by Nina Allan, Joel Lane, Andrew Hook, Aliya Whiteley and many more fine writers. He was at the London launch of the book, which should put to rest once and for all the idea that he's a pseudonym of mine!

Just reviewed this story as part of my review of the whole book:
http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/14592-2/#comment-8427

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2013, 05:42:16 pm »
Cool - glad you liked John's story.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:52 pm »
We're currently putting the final touches to the magnificent zero hour for literature that is Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #44, while also looking at submissions of fiction and reviews for #45. The deadline is August 31.

The guidelines (which really need a spring-clean) are here: http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.co.uk/p/submission-guidelines.html

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2013, 01:07:59 pm »
Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #44 is now out! It features five stories, arranged roughly in the chronological order of their settings: “A Lesson from the Undergrowth” by Charles Wilkinson, “Snow Crime” by Allen Ashley, “The Return of the Terrible Darkness” by Howard Phillips, “Black Sun” by Douglas Thompson, and “Milo on Fire” by Ross Gresham.

You’re going to love them. (Except the Howard Phillips one.)

The review section isn’t quite as long as last issue’s, but it still features five books (Dodger, A Game of Groans, Martian Sands, Seńor 105 and the Elements of Danger and Star Wars: Scoundrels), three films (The Host, Star Trek Into Darkness and World War Z), and two television programmes (Astronauts and Doctor Who: Shada).

The editorial explains why I’m not retiring the magazine just yet, and the cover is once again by Howard Watts.

For full details, including links to download it for free (or pay for it in print), click here.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:22:41 pm by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2013, 06:09:46 pm »
The deadline for submissions for Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #46 is November 29. We're looking for fiction and reviews. Astonishingly long guidelines here!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 11:53:32 am »
My on-going review of THEAKER'S QUARTERLY FICTION #44:
http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/theakers-quarterly-fiction-44/

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 12:49:16 pm »
Super - thanks!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2013, 05:36:10 pm »
In 2009 we published a novel by Michael Wyndham Thomas, The Mercury Annual. That was a mistake. I love the book and I’m glad it’s been published, but it deserved a better publisher than me, one dedicated to publishing books and bringing them to readers’ attention rather than squeezing them in around a quarterly magazine! I haven’t made time to do any of the books I’ve published by other people any justice.

However, undeterred by my rubbishness Michael Thomas came back to us with the follow-up, and after a dilatory gestation period Pilgrims at the White Horizon will finally be launched this Friday, at 7.00 pm, at the Light House in Wolverhampton.

In this volume Keith is dragged off to Valiant Razalia, a far-off world hardly anyone remembers – because it only ever appeared in one panel of one comic strip in one British annual! – by bizarre alien beings who think he’s their creator and want him to finish the job. Along for the ride is Keith’s daughter, for whom it’s at least a break from her studies.

This will probably be the last book I publish for a while by anyone but me and John (unless I decide to give book publishing something more than a half-hearted go). I’ve taken an absolute age to get it ready for publication and I feel terrible about that. But it’s worth the wait. If you can’t make it to the Light House, watch out for it on Amazon this weekend.

Event: Book launch! Of Michael W. Thomas’s new novel, Pilgrims at the White Horizon. Date: Friday, 27 September 2013, 7.00 pm to 9.00 pm. Venue: The Light House Media Centre, Wolverhampton. http://www.light-house.co.uk/.

For more information about the author see: http://www.michaelwthomas.co.uk/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:17:30 am by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2013, 05:11:12 pm »
Pilgrims at the White Horizon is now out in print and Kindle. Details here.

I'm happy to supply a free ebook or pdf copy to anyone who writes reviews anywhere, no guarantee of a review appearing required. We realise it's rather an odd book that won't be to everyone's taste!