Author Topic: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction  (Read 58557 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2013, 06:54:16 am »
To coincide with its sequel's release, The Mercury Annual by Michael Thomas is free on Kindle for the next few days. Here it is on Amazon UK, and here it is in on Amazon US.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2013, 05:22:49 pm »
Hey, Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #45 is now available for free download and features four stories: “The Colour of the Wind Erodes the Shape of Time” by Howard Watts, “We Slept Through the Apocalypse” by Howard Phillips, “Kingdom Automata” by Katharine Coldiron and “Carcosa, Found” by Robin Wyatt Dunn. The typically tedious editorial concerns my recent conversion to the cult of Scrivener.

The issue also includes six book reviews by me (Arctic Rising, Finches of Mars, The Resurrectionist, Alien Legion Omnibus, Claudia’s Story and Saga, Vol. 2), two film reviews by Jacob Edwards (Elysium and Man of Steel), and one film review each from Douglas J. Ogurek (The Conjuring) and Howard Watts (Star Trek Into Darkness). Howard also supplies the cover art.

More details here!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2013, 07:55:39 am »
TQF co-editor John Greenwood has a new story in No Monsters Allowed, a new anthology from Dog Horn Press, edited by Alex Davis.

I am desperately jealous, but apparently this is the kind of thing that can happen if you actually write stories and submit them to people, rather than constantly planning to write them.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2013, 07:25:52 pm »
A really nice review of Pilgrims at the White Horizon: http://sciencefictionfantasy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/pilgrims-at-white-horizon-by-michael.html. (Ebook/print copies are available for reviewers.)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2014, 03:45:09 pm »
Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #46 is now out, and features alphabetically-ordered stories by Gary Budgen, Mitchell Edgeworth, Josie Gowler, Stephen Palmer, Jessy Randall, Charles Wilkinson and Ross Gresham, plus eighteen reviews from me, Jacob Edwards and Douglas J. Ogurek, and spacechristmassy cover art by Howard Watts. As always, the ebook is free, the print edition as cheap as we can possibly make it:

http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/theakers46.html

The deadline for submissions for issue 47 is February 28.

This'll be my last post on the BFS forum for a little while - it's still an absolute nightmare getting on here (same for the BSFA, Newcon and a few others) and though I've found a couple of workarounds (a free proxy, a 3G Kindle) posting is still terribly time-consuming. Back as soon as the problem's sorted out - email if you need anything.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:20 am »
A Goodreads giveaway of Pilgrims at the White Horizon. UK only, 5 print copies up for grabs.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2014, 04:18:52 pm »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #47 is now out and features four stories. “Abandon” by Mitchell Edgeworth takes the Black Swan into spooky territory. Antonella Coriander, who almost definitely exists, and is almost definitely not a pseudonym used to disguise our woeful lack of female contributors, begins her new serial Les Aventures Fantastiques de Beatrice et Veronique with “Bike Ride to Peril”. In Chris Roper’s story “Witchinga” a guy finds out that there are worse things than losing your job, even in the USA. And finally Anthony Malone’s satire “Zombie & Son” does its best to get us into legal trouble with a parody of beloved members of the British establishment which almost certainly does not reflect the real nature of any of the persons concerned.

The issue also includes reviews by Douglas J. Ogurek, Jacob Edwards and me of: Divergent, Doctor Who: The Web of Fear, Elvenquest: The Complete Second Series, The Exploits of Engelbrecht by Maurice Richardson, Ghost Train to New Orleans by Mur Lafferty, The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza by James Kochalka, Her, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, I, Frankenstein, Justice League of America, Vol. 1, New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, Template by Matthew Hughes, Terra Obscura: S.M.A.S.H. of Two Worlds, The Winds of Gath by E.C. Tubb, and Wonder Woman Unbound by Tim Hanley.

As usual the issue is available for free epub, mobi and pdf download, and available as cheaply as possible in print and the Kindle store.

To celebrate this awesome event all of our Kindle exclusive books are free for the rest of the week, including all six of my novels. I spent as many as twenty days on some of them, so you know they'll be good.

Full details and links here: http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/theakers-47.html

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2014, 05:19:27 pm »
Why was I expecting a visit from the police while reading Life, the Universe and Everything? What book do I read almost every day? What was the worst decision I ever made? What was the first book I got out of the big library? Which book completely derailed my education? Do I only read novels about orphans? All these secrets and more have been revealed in the #bookaday series of posts on our blog.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2014, 02:39:28 pm »
We're working on Theaker's #48 at the moment, with #49 due for September, and then it's the big one at Christmas: #50! We're hoping to make that issue a celebration of the zine's history, so if you're a former contributor we'd love to hear from you again for that one.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2014, 05:45:24 pm »
Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #48, out now, features six stories and twenty-two reviews. The fiction includes epic punk fantasy (“A Thousand Eyes See All I Do” by Charles Wilkinson), Oulippean island adventure (“Beatrice et Veronique: Into the Island” by Antonella Coriander), meetings with the almost-dead (“The Collection Agent” by John Greenwood and “Contractual Obligations” by Howard Watts), self-published silliness (“I Couldn’t See Past the Spider” by Stephen Theaker) and even some genuine wisdom (“The Riches” by Tim Jeffreys). The cover is by Howard Watts.

Books by Charlie Human, Carrie Patel, Eviatar Zerubavel, Matthew Hughes, Ian McDonald, Katherine Addison, Giuseppe Tomasi Di Lampedusa, Joe Schreiber and Henri Vernes are reviewed, and there are also reviews of comics (A.B.C. Warriors, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Luther Strode), films (Edge of Tomorrow, Ernest et Célestine, Godzilla, Maleficent), and television programmes (From Dusk Till Dawn, Game of Thrones, The Tripods, True Detective). Plus a game (Injustice: Gods Among Us) and an album (Indie Cindy by the Pixies).

Download links and further information here.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2014, 05:50:15 pm »
Great to see you're publishing a story by Tim Jeffreys, Stephen. I've been raving about his writing since the old days of Pantechnicon ezine.  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2014, 06:48:06 pm »
Great to see you're publishing a story by Tim Jeffreys, Stephen. I've been raving about his writing since the old days of Pantechnicon ezine.  :)

indeed, and I think it was you who put me on to his work, Caroline. My review in Feb 2012 of one of his books: http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/the-haunted-grove-tim-jeffreys/
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2014, 04:27:03 pm »
Great to see you're publishing a story by Tim Jeffreys, Stephen. I've been raving about his writing since the old days of Pantechnicon ezine.  :)

Ah, Pantechnicon, the hare to TQF's tortoise - always good to be reminded of our fallen rivals! Can't think of many other UK fiction zines from back then that are still going. Jupiter SF is the only one that comes to mind. Morpheus Tales is still going strong, but began a bit later in 2008.

Hope you enjoy this story by Tim, if you haven't already read it. It reminded me of my wife: short, clever and good.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2014, 04:49:45 pm »
Morpheus Tales is still going strong, but began a bit later in 2008.

Just for interest, Adam Bradley - the main man behind MORPHEUS TALES, I believe - started with BLACK TEARS and VIOLENT SPECTRES in the early 1990s. One of those actually published the original version of Mark Samuels' famous THE WHITE HANDS, under the title AMELIA, if I remember correctly.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2014, 06:50:57 pm »
A new interview on our blog with Kathryn Allan and Djibril al-Ayad, about their crowdfunding project Accessing the Future:

http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/accessing-future-interview-with-kathryn.html