Author Topic: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction  (Read 62046 times)

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
Re: Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2014, 11:26:37 pm »
Thanks for posting this interview, Stephen! A pleasure to be popping into the TQF pages again…

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2014, 04:18:13 pm »
Is there anything you've ever wanted to ask the TQF staff? Why are we so mean to Howard Phillips? Is John Greenwood really a pseudonym? How ashamed are we of the cover art of issue 21? Now's your chance! In issue 50 we'd like to answer all your questions, about anything you like! And our answers will be honest. Or funny. To us, anyway.

Click here to submit your questions.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2014, 04:04:56 pm »
Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #49 is now out, and available in ebook formats for free and in print as cheaply as we can make it. It features novellas by Ross Gresham (“Ut in Fumum!”) and Michael B. Tager (“Nebuchadnezzar”), and an Oulippean story by Antonella Coriander (“Beatrice et Veronique: Tunnel Panic!”), plus cover art by Howard Watts, reviews by Tim Atkinson, Jacob Edwards, Rafe McGregor, Stephen Theaker and Douglas J. Ogurek, and an interview with Kathryn Allan and Djibril al-Ayad.

Download links and further information here.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2015, 10:56:29 am »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #50 is now available to download for free or to buy in a three hundred and twenty-four page paperback. Many former contributors return to help celebrate fifty issues and ten years of this most amateur of magazines, including David Tallerman, Douglas J. Ogurek, Michael Wyndham Thomas and Rafe McGregor. BFS Journal #13 cover artist Howard Watts takes us through his process, the team answer your most probing questions, and we rate and review almost a hundred books, films and games. Plus all our Amazon exclusive ebooks are free for the next few days. More info here.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2015, 09:13:34 am »
Now available for pre-order, the first ebook novella from Theaker's Paperback Library. It's a reprint of Walt Brunston's Space University Trent: Hyperparasite, his adaptation of the classic (but rarely seen) television episode, which first appeared in TQF13. It'll be out on April 30.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2015, 06:47:05 pm »
Theaker's Quarterly Fiction #51 is now out.

We have six stories this time: “Too Much Light Makes the Day Go Blind” by Marshall Moore, “One Slough and Crust of Sin” by Walt Brunston, “Water Imperial” by Charles Wilkinson, “The Assassin’s Lair” by Howard Phillips, “Whale on a Tilt” by Andrea M. Pawley and “Cybertronica” by Antonella Coriander. There are also fifteen reviews, by Douglas J. Ogurek, Jacob Edwards and me.

We review books by Lavie Tidhar, Grant Morrison and Steve Yeowell, Henry Kuttner, David Ramirez and Joe Abercrombie, plus a Brenda & Effie audio play by Paul Magrs. We also consider Space Battleship Yamato, Jupiter Ascending, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (twice), the Kindle Voyage, the Amazon Fire TV, season nine of Supernatural, season one of The Leftovers, and season one of Constantine.

The deadline for submissions for #52 is 31 May 2015. Guidelines here!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2015, 10:36:08 am »
Our blog has been busy this week, in the run-up to a new issue of our amateur magazine emerging on Friday:

Pork pies in the gardens: my FantasyCon 2014 – a reprint of the convention report that originally ran in BFS Journal #13

The Future Fire fundraiser! – a post about our friends at The Future Fire, who are raising money to fund a tenth anniversary special

Pixels | review by Douglas J. Ogurek – that rarest of things these days, a positive review for an Adam Sandler film (which I'm sure I'll love too)

Apologies for neglecting you, dear readers! – some excuses for why the TQF blog has been so quiet of late, some of them BFS-related

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2015, 07:11:28 am »
Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #52 is late and a little shorter than usual, but still features four great stories: Rocking Horse Traffic by Yarrow Paisley, Quest for Lost Beauty by Howard Phillips, Zom-Boyz Have All the Luck by Len Saculla, and “Surprise Thee Ranging With Thy Peers”, the latest Two Husbands episode from Walt Brunston. The Quarterly Review from Douglas J. Ogurek, Jacob Edwards and me includes reviews of It Follows, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Insurgent, Memory Lane, Jurassic World, Holy Cow by David Duchovny, The Dark Defiles by Richard Morgan, The Glorkian Warrior Eats Adventure Pie by James Kochalka, and many others.

As ever it's free to download, and just a couple of quid in paperback. Links and further details here.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2015, 05:21:19 pm »
A short blog post apologising for the lateness of TQF53, and explaining why I'll probably be very quiet this month: http://theakersquarterly.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/gone-till-end-of-november.html

If you need to ask me about anything BFS-related this month, best to email rather than post here on the forum. I'll only be free to range online for half an hour each morning, and that's just to download podcasts and let Dropbox sync.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2016, 07:38:37 pm »
Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction #53 is out at last, having been delayed by my work on BFS Horizons last year. It contains three fantastic stories. In “Restitution” Mitchell Edgeworth takes us back to the Black Swan, its crew double-crossed by the thief Nisha. In “Dodge Sidestep’s (and Martin’s) Final Dastardly Plan” regular TQF cover artist Howard Watts completes his absurdist musical trilogy. And “Rathfern’s Menagerie” is a bodyswapping science fantasy from BFS tentpole Allen Ashley. The issue also contains fifty pages of reviews by Jacob Edwards, Douglas Ogurek and me.

Between us we review work by Adam Warren, Alastair Reynolds, Aliette de Bodard, Andrew Cartmel, Brian K. Vaughan, Cate Gardner, Disasterpeace, Geoff Johns, Greg Pak, Ian Edginton, Ian Marter, J.M. DeMatteis, James Goss, James Kochalka, Jean-Claude Forest, John Dorney, John Logan, Justin Richards, Keith Giffen, Kurt Busiek, Laeta Kalogridis, Lavie Tidhar, Mario Alberti, Paul Magrs, Rare, Robert Kirkman, Ryan Ottley, Simon Guerrier, Steve Yeowell, Vaughan Stanger, Volition Software and others besides.

The cover art is by the ever-adorable Howard Watts.

It's free to download in mobi, epub and pdf formats, merely £3.47 in print. And if you're on Amazon Prime you can choose no-rush delivery and get a pound of that back to spend on music.

Download links and additional info here.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2016, 07:57:21 pm »
TQF54 will be out later this month, but we're already looking ahead to issue 58, our Christmas 2016 issue, which will be guest-edited by Douglas Ogurek.

The theme of the issue will be unsplatterpunk: all the gore, depravity, and violence of splatterpunk, plus a positive message. The deadline for submissions is 31 August 2016, but as ever we're a non-paying, amateur market so this call for submissions is unlikely to be of interest to professional writers.

More info here.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2016, 09:21:24 pm »
I wouldn't immediately write off pros; I think pro authors recognize quality, which can sometimes matter more than the pay rate for a venue. (Authors who are desperate to rack up the "pro"-paying sales are another matter, of course…)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2016, 07:48:27 am »
Yes, for sure, and we've been lucky enough to publish some very nice stories in the past from pro writers, and people who have gone on (or will go on) to be pro writers. But we want it to be really clear that we're not expecting or encouraging people who write for a living to write for us for free. We're not positioning ourselves as a rung on the ladder, or saying that we hope to start paying at some indeterminate point in the future, or any of those other mealy-mouthed excuses.

The reasons I'm making a bit more of a point of it this time are that the climate is currently quite hostile to non-paying publications - e.g. a high-profile website recently declared any non-paying publication despicable and said they won't review them any more, to loud applause (even though they don't pay contributors either!) - and that this particular issue has an American editor, which could take it into the orbit of more US writers, who tend to be even more against non-paying publications.

What I don't want is anyone reading through the guidelines, starting to think about the story they might write, then getting to the end and seeing there's no pay, and feeling they've been tricked into it.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2016, 08:41:40 pm »
Yes, I absolutely agree with all of that. And while yes, the pay (low or none, or otherwise) should be made clear from the start, the only thing I was objecting to (not even that--mollifying, perhaps) was the "pro writers won't be interested" line. Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot by second guessing them, eh? ;)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2016, 07:55:21 am »
Unlikely rather than won't... I don't see it as shooting myself in the foot - it's always been an important part of our ethos. We see ourselves as Sunday morning footballers. When David Beckham wanders by and wants to join in, we'll have a kickaround with him and count ourselves very lucky, but we don't want half the premiership turning up every Sunday, demanding to know why we're asking them to play in a park with jumpers for goalposts.