Author Topic: Introduce yourself...  (Read 106207 times)

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
Introduce yourself...
« on: April 23, 2003, 12:51:20 PM »
Hee!  Idea blatantly stolen from the Dead Cities forum....! :lol:

This thread here, right, is an easy way into the BFS forums for all you lurker types that haven't posted anything yet.

So to kick off:  Me = Jen  (the reviewer formally known as Jenny B).  I do the stock holder stuff for the BFS and publish a cute little mag by the name of 'Here & Now'.   :twisted:
Um..... what else....currently I'm in a manic graphic novel binge so I have no money and too many visions of the Invisibles/Transmetropolitan/Lucifer/Hellblazer/Planetary/Sandman/The Authority & Grant Morrison's run of New X-Men dancing in my head....
(and I'm champing at the wossname to get a comics forum on the boards...)

So, peeps, off you go.....who be you?

Morgan

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 02:01:21 PM »
Hey there, I'm Andrew Ewington, (Aka Morgan or Butwin in other forums)

Basically I spend my time trying to finish off my first blockbuster-of-a-project (a fantasy/comedy) and getting unsuspecting people to read it. Currently 3 publishers have requested sample chapters from the book and I'm awaiting feedback and/or a large cheque.

Otherwise I'm busy at work being a graphic designer and web designer.

:D

www.limpitmuskin.com

juzzza

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 12:02:34 PM »
Ello,

Justin Thorne here, known as Juzzza pretty much anywhere I get to register!!!

I live on an island (whoopee do) and am working on a couple of novel-length fantasy projects as well as sending off the odd (and I mean ODD) short stories.

Appeared lately in Here & Now, soon to feature in the final LEGEND ever ( :cry: ) and have submitted tales recently to Roadworks, Crimewave, Literal Latte and Here & Now again as it ROCKS.

Offline Marie O'Regan

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.marieoregan.net
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 12:28:36 PM »
Hiya,

Me? Marie O'Regan - I write, been published online on Quantum  Muse, Dusk, Savage Night; just had my first acceptance for a print mag, Roadworks (don't know yet which issue it'll be in though). I maintain the BFS website and designed and maintain the Elastic Press website. Oh, and I'm editor of Prism, too:)

Chappers

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 11:10:31 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've stumbled across this site after finally finishing my first novel (well its almost 90,000 words)  I've also written over 20 short stories and have now got ideas written down for 25 more.  I also have ideas written down for another 12 novels.  Oh and i wrote a novella about a year ago.  And now here comes my problem.

I have no idea what to do next.  My wife has read all my stories and she thinks they are good (no this doesnt count as it is a family member)  Anyhow any advice on what to do next would be very helpful.  I quite scared to take the next move as i dont know what to expect.

To be honest i only write for one person and that is me, i sort of dont care if anyone likes my writing because i do.  But at the same time i think i need to know if my writing is any good.

Also i interested in joining this site (need to justify it to the wifey first.)

Thanks

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 11:27:09 PM »
First never part with money. Whether for publication or for a reader.
Unless your are going to go into the world of publishing. If you do this, good luck with time and money.

The options are:

send stories to the amateur press, pro: more likely to be read. con: you'll never get rich.

Pointer: try and get guidelines from the publisher.

Send to a net site. Pro and con as above.

Pointer: read the site first, try and get feed back on the site from another forum.

Professional company: pro: money. con: unlikely to be read, esp. if no track record. They are out to get money.

Pointer: try to find out which editors deal with which genre. Networking here is the key.

Agent: pro and con: as above. pointer: as above.

how can BFS help. ASk people. plus we get magazines (general, fiction and a special) and use the links. there is the Fantasycon as well as open
nights. Plus read the site esp. The market news  and thank our hero Jen.

PS good luck and don't let the rejections get you down. Most of us have them. the only ones who don't, never sent stuff in. :)

Paul McAvoy

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2003, 10:27:52 PM »
My name is Paul, I am a writer (and a civil servant). Guess we would all like to be writers first, huh?

Rejection slips. There were times when I could not open the front door due to the pile of rejection slips there were there. The postman used to ask for double time when he knew a wad of my rejection slips where heading my way. The big tip is to keep plodding away. I have had a nice amount of stuff published now, because I have kept plodding on.

I am married with two young children and more info can be found at my site as to where you can read my works or all about be.

That's me...anyway.

Oh, and I have had a story published by Jen, who you might have met, in Here & Now (Great Mag) - and an artice is to be featured in that mag's issue four. She has another of my stories in her grasp as we speak...

Anyway - I must stop wittering on... It is getting late and I need my beauty sleep...

Offline Stephen Palmer

• Thaumaturge
  • author of novels
    • View Profile
    • http://stephenpalmersf.wordpress.com
yo!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 08:26:31 PM »
Yo!   :D

I'm Stephen Palmer; that is, STEVE...

I'm more of a skiffy type than a fantasy type, so hope you don't mind me popping over (don't call me an asylum seeker...)

I've had four novels published, two with Orbit and two with the small American publishers The Wildside Press. Fifth one coming out soon, but it's music based with skiffy and fantasy elements - set here in the lovely Westcountry, where I live, overlooking the sea.

Fantasy authors I lurve - Hobb, Vance, Cockayne, Mieville and of course Tolkien.

I work part-time (being an author is *crap* pay...) at Waterstones. Boy, has *that* given me an insight into the publishing industry!

Pop over to my site for more stuff:-

http://www.stephenpalmer.co.uk

See ya!

STEVE...
 :lol:

PattieB

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 08:11:47 PM »
Hi, I'm Pattie. Not a fantasy writer, although I have had a few articles published  (not lately though 'cos I'm too idle)  but I thought I would pop in anyway! I confess to being a slightly lapsed BFS member, but I can be found at Fantasycon, usually moving furniture or manning someone's book stall (sad I know but it just happens). I love urban type fantasy and anything of the (believable) spooky variety. I never miss a Prism or Dark Horizons (due to my secret supplier).

I love the new look message boards, hope they will help to bring in lots of interest and new members. The BFS is great but needs more publicity, hey- this is too good to keep to ourselves.

Cheers,  
 8)

murray vincent

Re: Introduce yourself...
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 11:44:32 PM »
Quote from: "Jen"
Hee!  Idea blatantly stolen from the Dead Cities forum....! :lol:

This thread here, right, is an easy way into the BFS forums for all you lurker types that haven't posted anything yet.

So to kick off:  Me = Jen  (the reviewer formally known as Jenny B).  I do the stock holder stuff for the BFS and publish a cute little mag by the name of 'Here & Now'.   :twisted:
Um..... what else....currently I'm in a manic graphic novel binge so I have no money and too many visions of the Invisibles/Transmetropolitan/Lucifer/Hellblazer/Planetary/Sandman/The Authority & Grant Morrison's run of New X-Men dancing in my head....
(and I'm champing at the wossname to get a comics forum on the boards...)

no idea wot a thread is being totally computer new but one day get my on line gallery up and humming.hi,jen, this is new member murray or vincent , i paint,oils and always liked the art of the mind,or Fantasy as they call it, so u should get a comix forum up and i,ll back u up if u want,anyway i work in oils,watercolours ,pencils ,pretty much anything u can draw  with.went thru 2 art colleges fine art and illustration,always wanted to work  on covers etc.maybe if i win a competition somewhere out there. :idea:

williemeikle

Re: Introduce yourself...
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2003, 10:10:42 AM »
Quote from: "Jen"

I'm Willie Meikle, 40-something Scotsman, intermittent BFS member and writer.

I have 3 novels published:  Island Life (Barclay Books 2001), and the first 2 books of my Watchers trilogy, The Coming of the King and the Battle for the Throne (Black Death Books 2003). I have 3 more novels coming from Black Death Books in 2004/5.

I have also had more than 150 short stories in the genre press in such late lamented British stalwarts as Kimota, Xenos, Grotesque and Flickers n' Frames, with four honourable mentions in the Datlow and Windlings anthologies and a chapbook "Millennium Macabre" (Enigmatic Press 2000)

I also edit Moonlicht Nicht, a Scottish Supernatural ezine, do some non fiction work as a contributing editor for WritingNow.com and work as a researcher for Google Answers.

By day I'm an IT Project Manager in Edinburgh....by night I chew the scenery.

Willie
http://www.willie.meikle.btinternet.co.uk

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 03:22:45 AM »
Hello Willie,

Glad you could join us. Hopefully we can give this site a bit more life.

Have to admit I really miss Kimoto. its not just because of the old radio special they did either. Though me little sister has lost my disc with the radio programmes on  :cry: .

Is there a link for Moonlicht Nicht? And when its updated could you post here to tell us? I'm only on a few sites and I get in trouble for being on them too long as it is.

Paul McAvoy

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2003, 09:12:36 PM »
Kimota was a great magazine. I had two stories published in it and was proud to be part of it in some way. Really sad to see it go. I emailed Greame Hurry a few times and he always seemed a really nice guy, almost met him a few times too, but did not get round to it.

Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Willie - welcome to the board mate! Great news about the publishing deals. I checked out their website, but it appears they only accept posted submissions and sending them all the way to USA could be costly, no?

Nicki Robson

Hi there
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 07:34:08 PM »
Hi - Nicki here.  Thought I'd better put in an appearance and introduce myself!

Not only do I organise FantasyCon but this year I kind of got myself voted in as Chair (I refuse to call myself "chairperson" and people will be confused if I use "chairman" with me not being a chap!).

My aim is to find out what members want... then completely ignore it...!  :wink:

No, seriously folks - if any members want to email me (chair@britishfantasysociety.org.uk) with suggestions or criticims they're welcome to... if it's impolite I'll not reply!

I've instigated a couple of projects that should be of interest/benefit to members and there are always new ideas bubbling up.  As ever funding can be an issue as we're not rolling in dosh!

Now I've rediscovered the message board I intend to stop by more often to pick up on comments and find out what people think.... next stop Downing Street!   :twisted:

Offline M P Ericson

• BFS Reviewers
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2004, 12:52:45 PM »
Hi, I'm Petra to my friends. I've been lurking for a while now (daunted by the scary registration form), but finally plucked up courage to register. It hardly hurt at all.

I'm an aspiring fantasy writer, with a fair collection of short stories doing the rounds and several novel mss being hammered into shape. Mostly I'm interested in myths, fairy tales, and folklore, but I also have a mild obsession with swords. Read into that what you will...

When I'm not writing I like to read (obviously), take long moorland walks, eat good food, and generally enjoy life.