Author Topic: Introduce yourself...  (Read 152056 times)

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 10:12:18 pm »
Hello Petra,

Welcome to the board. Sorry I've been a little slow in the welcome.

What authors do you read? At the FantasyCon Robert Holdstock will be there, one of the Guests og Honour, with Muriel Gray. Mythago Wood is one of the major Fantasy works, IMHO.

Have you seen any of the LOTR films. I just saw the last one and it is as good as the last one. Shame Christopher Lee was cut. The end of the film does drag a fair bit, a fault of the book, though the problems of the Shire have gone.

Hope to hear more from you,

Wayne.

Madness'_Muse

Hello All
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 02:31:30 pm »
I guess I'd be one of those hopless newbies, student still and recently started the planning for a novel and eventual series (it's more research than my uni asks for!)

I have never had anything published  :roll: but I get to be all hopefull and wide-eyed still. I also really want to attend the next fantasy con though I am unsure whether my budget (ahem overdraught) will allow for it.

By day I'm a music student, by other days I work in a net cafe and when I'm not producing exciting essays I am lost in my own world (at least the one that is insisting on being written)

K@

Offline M P Ericson

• BFS Reviewers
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2004, 04:00:07 pm »
Hi Wayne

Putting me on the spot at once, eh?  :)  I'm not nearly as well-read in the genre as I'd like to be -- work and studies took precedence for far too long -- but I like Tanith Lee and Storm Constantine, and I seldom miss a Pratchett. I couldn't get into Mythago Wood at all. Maybe I should give it another try.

Tolkien is unsurpassed, in my view, but I haven't seen any of the LotR films yet (gasp!). Getting to a cinema is too much hassle, and the clips I've caught haven't exactly inspired me. But I look forward to watching the DVDs in due course and being proved wrong.

It's a shame Legend went. I enjoyed that magazine.

And 'hi' to you also, Muse!

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2004, 05:47:57 pm »
Hello Petra,

Sorry for putting you on the spot. I follow a lot of horror more than Fantasy. I love the Pratchett stuff and I've read the Eddings and Brooks stuff. Not all. I'm also a roleplayer (Doing PBeM at the moment). I seen the LOTR films at the pictures and really enjoyed them. The last one dragged on at the end though. Tolkien is the must read in the fantasy genre. In horror our own Ramsey Campbell is a firm favourite. At the moment I'm reading Warhammer 40k for review reasons. Not bad.

There was a nice telling of a Tanith Lee story on BBC7 late last year, the short Rose Red.

Hello Muse, too. By the way I' m the new student relations people, I was without portfolio on the commitee,  but they wanted me to do something, not to do with radio.

So what uni. are you at? Do they have any fantasy, horror, SF or Roleplaying stuff? Is there a place I can go on the net to find out?

I finished a uni. in 2000, though I may be going back. Possibly.

Just wondering how you actually go about your research. How do you actually do the nuts and bolts stuff? Any tips? Does the story come from the research or other wise.

Wayne.

Madness'_Muse

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2004, 09:57:56 pm »
Hello and thank you for the warm reception,

I seem to have neglected my name, well it's Kat or Kathryn.

Hello Wayne, I am at sussex university but I am unaware of any groups relating to fantasy or roleplaying etc... If there is anything it will be on this site... (I haven't really explored it since the revamp) http://www.ussu.info/index.html

What did you study and what will you study if you return?

Well the actual research side off things relate to details like some acadenmic knowledge of horse maintainence etc... At the moment I'm looking into a little geology as one of my characters has some history on masonry.

What I am mostly doing is keeping a note book that I jot down ideas and develop them so that I do not either forget/go to far off track while writing. The world I have envisioned is quite detailed and my characters start off with a fairly good knowledge base of their own parts in it, so I figure I have to have a fairly comfortable understanding of it as well. :)

I wouldn't say the main aims and overal plot of my story comes from my research but much of what will flesh out and delinearise (if that is a word) it.

K@

K@

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2004, 01:18:48 am »
Thanks for the help k@.

I originally did Computers at Liverpool Poly, but dropped out. I found I could program etc. I just hated working with computers all day, it only took me 6 years to find out. When I went back at the Manchester Met. I ended up with a degree in Social Science (International Studies). I now know how to create a questionairre.  :wink:  What are you doing at the moment? Me I'll probably do the teacher training for primary school. Looks like they've dumped the bursary though.

I picked up a copy of HP Lovecraft's Commonplace Book. It was nice to see he just scribbled down ideas etc.

How do you actually get the info? Trips to the library and/or net or do you do a more hands on approach?

Does the stuff you find tend to push some stories in directions you never thought of?

Wayne.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2004, 08:11:26 pm »
K@

There is a writer's society there, no info. on the site and a surrealist society.

There is a Roleplaying/wargaming/magic society (SWARM) The s is for Sussex.

Don't know if you have any comments on the above?

Wayne.

Madness'_Muse

Hello again
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2004, 12:56:33 pm »
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I am studying music and philosophy as an interdisciplinary course (very useful for writing or at least having important themes). That all equates to writing essays?and more essays?.oh and there is another essay. I guess the practice is always good and I am going to include several extracts from historical books in my world.

The research is all over the place at the moment, the problem is that I don?t want to read a whole test book on geology for one example of stone. I guess that it defines parts of my world and that will alter how I get the story to where it is going but the foundations of the plot are unlikely to change too much at this stage unless I find gaping holes along the way. So I?d say research only changes the middle, rather than the beginning and the end for me.

I am surprised to see that there are three societies but I have no idea whether they are actually active and attract members. I guess I always feel that student run societies are generally terrible, they should at least be initiated by someone who knows anything at all about business so that at least the ground work is firm.

Sorry I couldn?t help you more.

Dave Cook

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2004, 03:14:39 pm »
Hi folks!

Well, what can I say? I stumbled upon the British Fantasy Society?s website just a couple of short weeks ago. I liked it so much that I am now a fully-paid up member. It?s obviously a great site, run by some very gifted people. Well done everyone!

A former writer of computer articles (for various UK magazines), I have only fairly recently turned my hand to writing horror. My first attempt (after the usual bucket-load of rejection slips) actually became a 245-page novel. It?s called A GIFT TO DIE FOR and was released in the USA last September (2003) by PublishAmerica.

My second bit of good fortune arose a month later when my first short story, PLENTY LONG ENOUGH, went on to win the very first DarkLines award for horror/SciFi stories based on 600 words or less. Needless to say, I was thrilled to bits. Please check out my official site (and drop me a line!) at:

http://www.dcook.co.uk

Thanks for your time!

Dave Cook.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2004, 11:04:33 pm »
Hi Dave,

Congratulations on not only winning Darklines, but on joining BFS becoming a member of our forum.

What PublishAmerica like? Not just be published by but what lists do they have out?

Well done and welcome to the Sunny world of Fantasy and Horror.

Wayne.

Dave Cook

Thanks Wayne
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2004, 09:28:08 am »
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your kind words.  Personally, I believe we Brits get something of a raw deal by publishers of mass market Fantasy and Horror, so organisations like the BFS are essential if we are to make them sit up and take notice.

What?s PublishAmerica like? Well, PublishAmerica is a good choice for first-time authors who have been turned down by the big boys. The books are of a quite high standard. They can be purchased from Amazon UK and the like, and the company carries a vast range of titles on every subject imaginable. The downside is that there is no advance payment to speak of. Royalties are paid in arrears, so no sales = no royalties. That said, I?ve received nothing but good feedback from folk who have read A GIFT TO DIE FOR - and I reckon the company deserves at least some of the credit for that.  :wink:

Dave.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2004, 11:06:28 pm »
Hi Dave,

Glad to here they are genuine and not some vanity publisher indisguise.

I also read the Ripper story, 3rd this time on the Darklines , I take it you are Toon on there. Did like the twists and turns of the tale and it looks like Darklines like your stuff too, as does the Ripper site.

Cheers,

Wayne.

Dave Cook

How about you?
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2004, 02:33:57 pm »
Hi Wayne,

Yup, PublishAmerica is a genuine royalty-based book publishing company. Personally, I wouldn?t touch a vanity publisher with someone else?s barge stick let alone my own.  :wink:

As for the Darklines site, well spotted! I am indeed known there as Toon. Did you also manage to read Plenty Long Enough? It had to be written in under 600 words, so I had to be quite frugal with the storyline, but I think it worked.

Thanks again for the kind words. Receiving feedback on something I?ve written means a lot to me. It?s appreciated. How about you, Wayne? Do you like to write?

Cheers,
Dave.

Dave Cook

Re: How about you?
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2004, 02:45:44 pm »
Quote from: "Dave Cook"
Personally, I wouldn?t touch a vanity publisher with someone else?s barge stick let alone my own.  :wink:

Or even a bargepole!   :)

Dave.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2004, 02:18:52 pm »
Barge Stick. Ooopppss.  :oops:

I'm going to have to stop the late night insomnia net surfs. My spelling is bad enough as it is without making up new words.

Maybe if I use a bargepole to type with......  :wink:

Wayne.