Author Topic: Introduce yourself...  (Read 144837 times)

Dave Cook

Stick? What stick???
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2004, 05:23:26 pm »
Wayne, don?t worry. The barge stick was my own slip-up, creation, incarnation, call it what you will. So your late night net surfs are not to blame on this occasion!!! The blame rests entirely with me. Dave.  :)

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
It ain't my stick.
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2004, 11:11:39 pm »
So it was just me being paranoid, or trying to take the achievements of others. Hu hum.  :roll:

Sorry.

By the way do any of the new members have any ideas for drumming up support for the society?

Any ideas on improving the Forum? Do you have any problems with it?

In fact anyone can answer this.

Wayne.

Dave Cook

Creating interest in the BFS
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2004, 03:16:10 pm »
Something along the lines of a writing competition might generate a bit of interest. Many message boards have a special News board for announcing competitions and such like. In fact, that?s how I discovered the BFS. You?re certainly welcome to drop in to my message board at Horror World  anytime to announce future BFS events.

Dave.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2004, 10:13:50 pm »
We actually have our own magazine that publishes stories. I guess we should make a bigger song and dance about that, as well as doing special one off projects.

I know many including myself have sent off stuff with only the promise of being printed or getting a contributors' copy. What with stuff we get sent to review I guess we could use as prizes too. We get quite a lot of stuff for the raffle at FantasyCon. I'll pass tour thoughts onto the committee Dave.

Dark Horizons not only does fiction but poetry. We also publish non-fiction in Prism with recent articles on William Hope Hodgson and the father of Fantasy George MacDonald. Plus stuff on British folk law. I even write reviews for it myself.  :roll:

As new to the site how did you (Dave), K@ and Petra find navigating the site easy? I really am nosey aren't I?  :wink:  In fact if any else has an opinion let me know.

Wayne.

Dave Cook

Site navigation
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2004, 03:33:46 pm »
Site navigation is fairly easy, methinks. Though in my view, for easier reading purposes, the default ?Display Posts From Previous? setting (down at the bottom of the page) should be set to ?Newest First? rather than ?Oldest First?. I don't know how everyone else feels about it. Could just be a matter of getting used to it, I suppose.

Dave.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2004, 03:27:35 am »
Cheers Dave. I've passed on your words of wisdom and corrected some of my spelling mistakes.  :wink:

So what do the rest of you think?

How do we drum up support and improve the forum?

Wayne.

Offline Marie O'Regan

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.marieoregan.net
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2004, 11:39:55 am »
Hi,

Welcome to the boards, Dave and Chaz. To answer a few queries: Wish I could help on the book query Chaz, Prism's not now due to go out till May (February's is due back from the printer's any day now), so the quickest way for you to get some help, other than post it here as you've done, is to ask Gary Couzens to add it to the newsfeed.  You can do this by emailing newsfeed@britishfantasysociety.org.uk. Newsfeeds usually go out on a weekly basis, normally on a Sunday. If you still wish it to go in May's Prism, email me by 1 April. prismeditor@briitishfantasysociety.org.uk.

As far as the board configuration goes, the default setting looks as if it has to remain at oldest first. You do, of course, have the facility to change your own viewing option to newest first, as you've described.

Any other queries, please let me know, I'm always around  :)

Dave Cook

Cheers for the info...
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2004, 01:30:27 pm »
Marie, looking forward to reading the latest Prism. Thanks for the info, and keep up the good work!

As for that default config setting, I'm getting used to it already!  :)

Dave.

Offline Marie O'Regan

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.marieoregan.net
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2004, 01:36:04 pm »
Thanks Dave, Prism should be mailing out next week, along with Dark Horizons, Award Nomination Forms (yes, it's that time again  :) ) and FantasyCon registration forms. That should keep you busy for a while  :)

Oh yes, site will be updated over the weekend to allow nominations for the 2004 BFS Awards online, and details of the Open Night Schedule for 2004 have been added  here: http://www.britishfantasysociety.org.uk/info/opennights.htm..

Dave Cook

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2004, 02:11:02 pm »
Quote from: "Marie O'Regan"
Thanks Dave, Prism should be mailing out next week, along with Dark Horizons, Award Nomination Forms (yes, it's that time again  :) ) and FantasyCon registration forms. That should keep you busy for a while  :)

Oh, goodie! I?m chomping at the bit already. Received some old stuff from BFS when I joined a couple of weeks ago (Dark Horizons and Prism) and I?ve really enjoyed reading it all.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know how the Stephen Laws evening at the The Cluny went? As a fellow Geordie, I would have loved being there; only my health hasn?t been that good lately. Maybe next time?

Dave.

Nicki Robson

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2004, 07:48:15 pm »
Hi, yes I was at Stephen Laws' event.  It was certainly interesting to get the inside information on the novel!

It started with a short tour of the immediate area where Steve explained that he'd played in and around the abandoned warehouse (that's now the Cluny) as a kid.  He told tales from his childhood that have ended up in the book.  He swears the rat running across the path was not staged!

After that we went back inside where Steve said a bit more - to the 50 or so people there - and then the drinking and chat began.

Steve signed books and gave away quite a few of the posters he'd put up around the room. He'd had them made up from Spectre book covers from the first time around - the French issue, and German etc.

I think a good time was had by all - as I say plenty of booze and chat - what more do you want?!  Oh, I think he sold a few books too!   :wink:

Dave Cook

Steve Laws at The Cluny
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2004, 10:18:57 am »
Hi Nicki,

Thanks for the rundown on Stephen?s event at The Cluny. Sounds like everyone had a great time (including the great man himself) and now I?m feeling even more miffed with myself for missing it! Oh, well, maybe next time.

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2004, 07:16:50 pm »
Glad the reading went well. I hope I can get to the next one too.

I like to write and just had some short stories rejected, again.  :cry:

One is a bit weird and the other one was done as a drabble but I don't think it really fits the 100 word length, a little bit more explanation was needed. I guess I'm vague at the best of times. Doing it on purpose means the reader stands no chance.

Looking forward to the next Prism. Which reminds me I owe some reviews. Ooops.  :roll:

Wayne.

Dave Cook

Introduce yourself...
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2004, 10:06:33 pm »
Wayne, those 100-word stories can be pretty demanding. We all need a tough skin at times, but at least failure will make the successes seem all the more rewarding. Better luck next time...

Dave.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Introduce yourself...
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2004, 04:46:12 am »
They can be quite a puzzler, but I do like the demand of choosing words to fit the constricting space. I'm dyslexic and doing these really helps.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Luckily I have a thick skin. 2 sister help lots.

Wayne.