Author Topic: Demons  (Read 6403 times)

Offline Tony Williams

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Home page
Demons
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:24:48 pm »
I've been watching the ITV series Demons. Not my usual fare, but I was drawn to it because it features Philip Glenister, the star of Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. I'm still watching it for reasons which I can't quite understand, but probably because it's so bad that it's become perversely irresistible. For those of you fortunate enough to have avoided the snare, it concerns a team of heroes in present-day London who spend their time hunting a varied collection of nasty supernatural beings. They are led by Glenister (with a dodgy American accent), and include a lad who is the last surviving member of the Van Helsing family, his would-be girlfriend, and a blind female seer.

In the last episode, the latest big bad demon managed to get into the team's hideout and set a time bomb next to the seer, who had been knocked unconscious. First "huh?" moment: he set the timer for a full 45 minutes, thereby helpfully setting up a long-drawn-out drama as the girlfriend arrives and wonders what to do. Does she carry the bomb away so it explodes somewhere harmless? Nope. Does she drag the seer out of harms's way and let the bomb destroy the hideout? Nope. Does she say "sod it" and get the hell out of there? Nope. She spends nearly all the time researching explosives in the library, then finally gives up and goes to sit by the bomb before, in the very last second, cutting through a wire at random and thereby stopping the clock. I was rather sorry that it didn't explode. Meanwhile, Glenister and the Van Helsing have been decoyed away in search of the demon, and find themselves trapped in a room in the sewers which has a sturdy grille in the ceiling with a trapdoor in it. Now these two heroes invariably carry a range of hardware including some fancy guns for disposing of demons. So when the demon duly appears above them, do they spring into action and start shooting? Nope. Not even when the demon helpfully opens the trapdoor to give them a clear shot plus a means of escape? Nope. They just stand there and trade insults, until the demon tires of the game and bolts down the trapdoor. Sadly, the girlfriend and the seer arrive in time to save them as the room floods, with only a fraction of a second to spare.

The next episode's on tonight. I can hardly wait…

(An extract from my SFF blog)

Anthony G Williams homepage and SFF blog

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: Demons
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:32:54 pm »
I'd recorded the first episode of this a few weeks back, but have been so busy I never got the chance to watch it. So, having missed the first, I haven't bothered with any more. Reading your comments, Tony, I'm glad I didn't waste my time on it now! I must admit, from the trailers they were showing before it started, it looked pretty awful anyway (and they usually try to show the best bits in trailers!   :D).
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:31:29 am »
Loved that review of Demons. That just about sums up my own feelings about that dreadful series, which managed to be even worse than Torchwood, something I didn't think was possible! In fact, you probably wrote more about it than that dire drivvle deserves.

David

Offline Shaun Jeffrey

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shaunjeffrey.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:52:03 pm »
What I find annoying is how they wrap up the endings so fast. Find the demon; shoot it, end of story. There's no drama :-[
The Kult

People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:57:08 pm »
It's an obvious Buffy-rip-off: the teacher, the reluctant hero, the side kick... I have no issue with that, except that the programme (Demons) is so badly done. It lacks everything that the American show had -- compassion, humour, personalities. The same is true of almost all UK cop/thriller shows, when compared with US ones. I much rather watch Numb3rs or NCIS or Bones than Waking the Dead, Bonekickers, and countless others I am unable to sit through. Why are UK film/programme makers so entrenched in the British sterotype? Someone want to write a thesis for their media degree?

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 05:29:58 pm »
It lacks everything that the American show had -- compassion, humour, personalities.
That's an excellent point and so accurate.
And please don't mention Bonekickers. I only watched one episode of that and that was enough. I have never seen such an embarrassing load of hogwash in my life.
What puzzles me is why so many British productions like this lack the ability to present relationships between their characters that have any sort of credibility. It's as if they were written by immature ten-year olds who had only ever experienced "real life" through watching British soaps or sit-coms. Even the best of the bunch, such as Doctor Who, suffers from this.

David

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:11:17 am »
It's an obvious Buffy-rip-off: the teacher, the reluctant hero, the side kick...

Even down to ripping-off/pastiching Giles' comment from Buffy #! "The slayer kills vampires; Buffy's a slayer; don't tell anyone." Mina said almost exactly the same thing in the opening episode.

What burns me, though, is the obvious contempt the writer(s) have for their audience. Do they honestly think we wouldn't figure out who Mina and Quincy are within seconds? (Oh sorry - I was forgetting: the target auduience is probably as dim and poorly-read as Luke and his incredibly annoying girlfriend. The sooner she gets her throat ripped out the better!)
Mike Chinn

Offline Tony Williams

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:47:35 am »
I was a tad rude about Demons last week, so in all fairness I should say that episode 4, in which Mina's vampiric past comes back to haunt her, was a great improvement.  Actually enjoyable for the right reasons…but possibly I was only impressed because my expectations were so low!

(An extract from my SFF blog)
Anthony G Williams homepage and SFF blog

kymrukatz

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:43:57 am »
'Demons' is only watchable for Mr. Glenister, but I hope he's being paid well. Anyone got any comments on 'Being Human'? I love the premise -- Vampire (reformed, but not for long), Werewolf, and Ghost sharing a flat in Bristol...

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 11:47:44 am »
I watched the first episode and thought it looked promising, though I can't say it made me feel hooked. Missed it so far this week - forgot about it. Will have to catch up. It could be okay. Only time will tell. Hopefully, the vampire story arc will prove big and menacing enough to draw me in.

It's still head and shoulders and a hell of a lot better than Demons. Even Glenister isn't really good in that abysmal mess. A bad career choice in my view.

David

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 04:55:30 pm »
I was a tad rude about Demons last week, so in all fairness I should say that episode 4, in which Mina's vampiric past comes back to haunt her, was a great improvement.  Actually enjoyable for the right reasons…but possibly I was only impressed because my expectations were so low!

Thing is, after two and a half episodes I decided that Demons wasn't worth wasting my time on, so I won't persevere with it. At my age I can't afford to squander too much time on material I do not enjoy.

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 09:36:20 pm »
I watched the first episode and thought it looked promising, though I can't say it made me feel hooked. Missed it so far this week - forgot about it. Will have to catch up. It could be okay. Only time will tell. Hopefully, the vampire story arc will prove big and menacing enough to draw me in.

It's still head and shoulders and a hell of a lot better than Demons. Even Glenister isn't really good in that abysmal mess. A bad career choice in my view.

David
Watching it just hope it gets better has not grabbed me yet. :-\
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:39:20 pm »

David
Watching it just hope it gets better has not grabbed me yet. :-\
simular with Demons watchable but not worried if I miss it.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline D. J. R. Allkins

• Thaumaturge
  • AKA , D.J.R. Allkins
    • View Profile
    • Tides from a scribbling sea
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 09:33:16 pm »
Saw the 1st episode, so bad, I haven't bothered watching any more.