Author Topic: Whitechapel  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Whitechapel
« on: February 16, 2009, 01:01:27 pm »
Despite my observations (elsewhere) on British TV, I have to admit to enjoying this mini-series. The last episode is on ITV tonight -- and that's another amazing thing: ITV producing something that is dark and not wholesome family entertainment. No prizes for guessing the topic of the series; well, the title is a dead giveaway. I hope episode three doesn't disappoint.

Offline Shaun Jeffrey

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shaunjeffrey.com
Re: Whitechapel
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:06:29 am »
I recorded the final episode, but I haven't had chance to watch it yet. I enjoyed the first two parts, so I too hope the conclusion doesn't disappoint. The characters have all been well thought out, and it's been an 'entertaining' show.
The Kult

People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill.

Offline Mark_Yon

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:06:35 am »
Yes: one of the few I've enjoyed lately, though the ending was a little 'hyperactive'. (Don't want to spoil it for Shaun, who hasn't seen it yet. :)  )

But after the risable Demons and Merlin and not-bad-but-still-not-good Survivors and Apparitions ... well, most of them lately, I was beginning to think it was just me.

And it is a surprise that it's ITV rather than the BBC.

I understand that it's out on DVD today, for those who missed it.

Mark

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:08:27 am by Mark_Yon »
aka Hobbit, SFFWorld

Offline Stephen Volk

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:31:43 am »
in the last episode why was the last victim, in modern times, given the name "Frances Coles", one of the much-disputed victims of the original Jack? Surely it could only be an in-joke for Ripperologists: but a pointless one.

Offline Mark_Yon

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:06:42 am »
I understand there was a lot of in-jokes for Ripperologists, Stephen, but I'm not an expert. They do seem to have tried to add levels of complexity, whether needed or not. I understand they were quite keen to film on location, in the 'real places', for example, but I read somewhere (Radio Times, i think!) they were refused permission for at least one.

I would've thought such references are fun though (if you can call such a serial killing fun!). If you know about it, you'll get it. But you don't have to be an expert to enjoy the programme.

For what it's worth, I thought it was pretty good, or perhaps my standards are slipping....   ;)

aka Hobbit, SFFWorld

ChrisT

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45:32 pm »
It looked good, but working nights I only caught bits and pieces whilst I was getting ready... quite gruesome too.

For it's faults, it surely can't be has bad as Patricia Cornwell's so-called proof...

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 04:12:25 pm »
Surely it could only be an in-joke for Ripperologists: but a pointless one.

In-jokes are never pointless if you're in on them.

I'm impressed that the writer felt the inclination. I was, of course, impressed by the drama too.

David

PS I didn't notice this particular in-joke, though, not being a Ripperologist.