Author Topic: Steppenwolf...  (Read 3700 times)

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
Steppenwolf...
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:11:15 am »
...written by Hermann Hesse. I read it over twenty years ago and its themes fascinated me then and do now. The book explores the duality of human nature and it has been interpreted in many ways. For Harry Haller - What is real? What is fantasy? Well worth the read.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: Steppenwolf...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 01:41:02 pm »
I read this when I was a teen and it had a huge impact on me. It was around the same time I was reading things like the Gormenghast trilogy. I was fascinated by any books with a message, or which seemed to be questioning whether human beings really were the nice creatures I'd been led to believe they were as I was growing up.

I don't remember the details of the story as it was so long ago (far more than 20 years!), but it'd be interesting to revisit it and see what I think of it now ...
 :)

LATER EDIT: In fact, did he do another book called Damien, or was that a character in Steppenwolf? Or was that another author altogether? That rings a bell from that time too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 01:43:05 pm by CarolineC »
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:31:29 pm »
I think it taught me to strive for balance. Perhaps to not to be too hard on myself sometimes and also to take a few more risks and have some fun. I read that he thought that is was misunderstood by many people and I've interpreted as it a message of hope rather than despair. There will be other readings of it though. Black listed by the nazis and celebrated in the '60's by some in America. 

I don't recognise the character you name. I don't think he is in Siddhartha or The Glass Bead Game. Mind you my memory isn't great.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:35:02 pm by allybird »

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:08:43 am »
Ah - he wrote DEMIAN in 1919. Haven't read it yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demian

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:16:25 pm »
Yes! That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks Ally. I was going to look it up myself some time but hadn't got around to it yet.

Another book which I recall having a great impact on me when I was a disillusioned teen was Kafka's "Metamorphosis". I was reading Hesse, Kafka and Peake shortly after I'd graduated from reading "Lord of the Rings"!  :D
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 01:31:37 pm »
A girl after my own heart...which I keep in a jar.... :)