Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 110906 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 05:45:53 PM »
For the first time in a while, I'm reading something for pleasure instead of review.

Fallen by Tim Lebbon, and I actually bought it! Forgot what it's like to buy your own books.

I know what you mean - I could quite easily (and happily) read nothing but the review pdfs from PS Publishing.

I'm reading Dark Horizons submissions now.

Offline Robert Lock

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 11:45:52 AM »
I've just finished Stan Nicholls' Orcs which was an interesting book. It tells the tale of the encroaching humans on the native land of sub-humans (orcs-faeries-gremlins-pixies etc etc) and their 'eating' (unknowingly) of the land's magic. It is written from the orcs' viewpoint and is quite entertaining. If I was to nitpick the only thing I would point out is Nicholls' use of weird speech tags (something which I've been told off about using!) I couldn't help but notice a plethora of - he blurted - he intoned - he slurred - he barked - the second lieutenant fawned - she coaxed - she purred sweetly etc etc. As you can see it drew my attention towards them somewhat which distracted me a little from the story. Other than that I would say it's a good read.

I've just started Jim Butcher's Proven Guilty and mistakenly thought it was the first of the Harry Dresden books, but it isn't so I'm reading about things that have obviously happened in earlier editions which I'm a little sorry about (I'd have preferred to have started with the first) however, as I'm getting into the story now I can't put it down and go look for the first book so I'll just carry on, so far, so good :)

Bob

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 12:26:51 PM »
The Haunter of the Ring and Other Tales by Robert E. Howard. The Dream Snake gave me a nightmare last night - first time in a long time that a writer has done that for me.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:31:46 PM by allybird »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »
I'm reading Broken Symmetries by Steve Redwood and The Smell of Telescopes by Rhys Hughes at the moment. Probably not a good idea to read them at the same time, since I'll get them muddled, but I'm really enjoying both of them.

I've just started Jim Butcher's Proven Guilty and mistakenly thought it was the first of the Harry Dresden books, but it isn't so I'm reading about things that have obviously happened in earlier editions which I'm a little sorry about...

That can be a good thing - I started watching Stargate SG-1 from season seven or something - what had been flimsy nonsense six years before was suddenly a richly crafted tapestry with an astonishing backstory. Every episode had an amazing revelation about past events...  :)

Offline IanH

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 11:44:43 PM »
I've just finished tonight, in the bath - too much information, I know, "One" by Conrad Williams, brilliant prose as always, and surely the winner of the best novel award next year. I do a monthly thang on my website at www.ian-hunter.co.uk called "The Now", and "One" is the read of the month, but on the bedside table are currently:
Finding Violet Park by Jenny Valentine
Attica by Garry Kilworth
The Hundred-Towered City also by Garry Kilworth
The Battle for Gullywith by Susan Hill
Weight by Jeanette Winterson
Promethea Book 5 by Alan Moore and J.H. Williams III
Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 11:53:43 PM »
I'm reading "Solaris" by Stanislaw Lem - I expected it to be good, but didn't expect it to be totally gripping and utterly absorbing.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
Just finished the last of Virgin Books recent titles: Primal by Robin Baker, Thieving Fear by Ramsey Campbell and One by Conrad Williams.

My thoughts on Primal can be found here. Ramsey's, in the character of Ellen, features the best portrayal of a woman he has ever written. Indeed, the characterisation of all four of the cousins in this story is solid, and Conrad's new novel is simply remarkable: Richard's determination and unquenchable hope in finding his missing son is superbly and heartrendingly conveyed.

See, this is the reason I like written horror: Hollywood is all about plot and body-horror. Character development is the first thing to go out the window. Hollywood horror is just one big yawn. Of the hundred-some DVDs that my wife and I own not one of them is a horror movie. Frankly, they're barely worth watching once nevermind repeatedly.

AdrianF

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »
Currently Reading "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie.

Been really impressed by the characterization so far but it's a real effort to read and not critique

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 01:24:16 PM »
The Beloved of My Beloved by Ian Watson and Robert Quaglia - great FUN!

Offline Mathew F. Riley

• Mathew F. Riley
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Night Man
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »
Half-way through the much-hyped The Strain by Del Toro and Chuck Hogan - this could be the start of a blurring of the lines between vampaires and zombies...
The Night Man is coming... http://thenightman.wordpress.com
Horror Geek book reviews and publishing chat... http://www.bookgeeks.co.uk
Genre and post-apocalyptic movie reviews and interviews... http://www.quietearth.us

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:31 PM »
Half-way through the much-hyped The Strain by Del Toro and Chuck Hogan - this could be the start of a blurring of the lines between vampaires and zombies...

I heard about that. Is it all it's cracked up to be?
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 08:05:18 AM »
Just finished Mind the Gap by Tim Lebbon and Christopher Golden.  Cor, that was fun!   ;D  (Coincidentally, read it on the train on the way to London!  Which adds a little something, given the story!   ;D  )  Definitely recommended.   :-*

Online David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »
Almost finished reading the superb Midnight House collection of contes cruel, The Harlem Horror by Charles Birkin. As contrast I've just started Graham Greene's Travels with my Aunt, which is beautifully well written, witty and amusing. A bit of a contrast.

David

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »
Finished reading Dark Horizons submissions (acceptances and rejections are going out over the course of this week - it's going to be a good issue!), and then finished off Steve Redwood's forthcoming collection of short stories, Broken Symmetries. Stories of all kinds, but all top quality! My favourite was the one about checking ladies out from the library.

Next up: the BFA best novel nominees! Got five of them out of the library, and I'm trying to get hold of the sixth (Rain Dogs - bit harder to get hold of than the rest). I've started off with The Graveyard Book. Neil Gaiman writes so well.

Martin Roberts

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 02:21:58 AM »
I'm always behind when it comes to reading current books, so like Stephen I'm currently engaged in an effort to read as much on the BFA short list as possible.

I just finished reading Ramsey's Thieving Fear and I made a brief start on Gary McMahon Rain Dogs late last night.

David - I have the Charles Birkin and what I've read so far is indeed excellent. I picked up a couple of the Tandem paperbacks based on the stories I read from this... do you have news on your collection by the way?