Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 207905 times)

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2011, 05:39:11 pm »
I am almost ashamed to say that I am reading one of the Sookie Stackhouse novels  :-[ I actually enjoy the writing and the characters.

My name is Selina and I'm a paranormal romance fan.... well actually I read lots of stuff, but I do enjoy several of the paranormal series, the Sookie books being one, others being ones from Rachel Caine and Kelley Armstrong. It's like any other genre/sub-genre, some are well written with interesting characters and world set-ups. Others are jumping on the band wagon. Others stray far more into erotica territory so it depends on people's tastes on what they'll like.,

Currently reading Frankenstein (been trying to use my eReader to catch up on classics I've never read), after seeing the National Theatre production through their National Theatre Live screenings. It's very interesting to read and compare with how the character is portrayed in the films etc.

Also Jasper Fforde's One of our Thursdays is Missing, the graphic novel Depresso by Brick and Jay's NaNoWriMo novel from 2006 to help him pick out sections that can be re-worked as short stories. Jasper's book is fun and inventive as usual, but requires a lot of concentration! Depresso is about Brick's experiences with depression so is very intense, hence the need to read it in small chunks.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #256 on: April 07, 2011, 10:26:04 am »
I've just finished Joe Hill's "Heart Shaped Box", and I'm really, really cross with myself for not having read it sooner. I genuinely thought it was brilliant. A fantastic mix of supernatural and real horror - and I loved Hill's style & language. Great book.

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 07, 2011, 12:53:20 pm »
Yes, I liked that very much too.  After 20th Century Ghost I embarassingly told my classes to 'watch this guy, he's going to be big' and 'I've not liked anyone like this since discovering Stephen King.  In fact, Hill reminds me of old school King with a modern edge'.  And then I found out who he was...

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 07, 2011, 07:46:24 pm »
Have you both read 'Horns'? Much as I enjoyed 'Heart-Shaped Box', I think I liked 'Horns' more.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2011, 08:29:26 am »
Earlier in the week I finished Vampire Warlords by Andy Remic, which didn't live up to expectations. I was hoping for a bit of the old ultraviolence, but got Gibbs and DiNozzo on a never-ending camping trip. It livened up towards the end, though.

Now I'm reading Move Under Ground by Nick Mamatas, a first-person account of Jack Kerouac's experiences following the rising of R'lyeh. Super so far.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2011, 08:47:51 am »
Earlier in the week I finished Vampire Warlords by Andy Remic, which didn't live up to expectations. I was hoping for a bit of the old ultraviolence, but got Gibbs and DiNozzo on a never-ending camping trip. It livened up towards the end, though.

Now I'm reading Move Under Ground by Nick Mamatas, a first-person account of Jack Kerouac's experiences following the rising of R'lyeh. Super so far.

Read that Mamatas a good few years ago if you like it you shouls check out Under My Roof by him

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:40 am »
Hi John - yeah, really enjoyed Horns too. My favourite of his, though, is Pop Art.  Amazing.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2011, 12:28:11 pm »
Have you both read 'Horns'? Much as I enjoyed 'Heart-Shaped Box', I think I liked 'Horns' more.

I've actually got that earmarked as my "plane to World Horror" book!  ;D

Isn't it wonderful when you read a book by someone new, and you can't wait to get your hands on something else they wrote? Great feeling.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #263 on: April 08, 2011, 05:58:47 pm »
The Painter, the Creature and the Father of Lies -- Clive Barker

Offline johnny mains

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 08, 2011, 07:02:10 pm »
The Man Who Wrote Dracula - a biography of Bram Stoker by Daniel Farson. Fast paced, enjoyable biography - worth a look in for those who haven't read it.
‎"The duty of an enthusiast about a forgotten author is constantly to bring his name before the public, in hope that such forgotten writers and the treasures of their work may be rescued from undeserved oblivion" - Herbert van Thal

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #265 on: April 10, 2011, 02:44:09 am »
Just finished William Meikle's Berserker.

Vikings versus yetis (the latter referred to as Alma in the book); historical pulp action with some nice supernatural overtones.

Highly recommended.
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #266 on: April 10, 2011, 06:45:08 pm »
Flashman and the Dragon. Taipan rebellion. More horror in ten minutes than we could all write in a  lifetime.

Offline FictionFan01

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 24, 2011, 09:19:13 pm »
THE TIME OF THE HERO by Mario Vargas Llosa, the 2010 Nobel Prize winner in Literature. Definitely one of the most powerful novels I've ever read. And in places, very tough reading indeed. An assault on the senses. Vargas Llosa, one of the most important Latin American authors of the 20th century, does not hold back. On its first publication in 1962, the book was considered so scandalous that a thousand copies were burned in an official ceremony by the Peruvian military. That same year, THE TIME OF THE HERO won the Biblioteca Breve Prize, an award given to the best work of fiction in the Spanish language.

"Makes the majority of novels written in our day look shabby and thin by comparison" - Alastair Reid

"A harsh and honest piece of fiction" - The New York Review of Books

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2011, 09:46:32 am »
Currently reading The Damned Busters by Matthew Hughes. I adored the last book I read by him, Quartet & Triptych, but not sure about this one yet.

Read that Mamatas a good few years ago if you like it you shouls check out Under My Roof by him

Thanks for the recommendation! I liked Move Under Ground a lot so I'll keep an eye out for that one being released on Kindle.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12:37 am »
I have a spare paperback copy sitting around somewhere If you want it, just PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post the next time I'm near a post office