Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 207164 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #315 on: December 10, 2011, 08:54:47 am »
I just finished off Ted McKeever's Meta 4, a comic about an astronaut who wakes up in the desert. One of those collections where you suddenly realise the last chunk of the book is going to be sketches and bonus covers and hey, what, that was actually the end of the story..? I think I'll need to read it again.

Offline Jay Eales

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Factor  Fiction
« Reply #316 on: December 11, 2011, 02:46:39 pm »
I just finished off Ted McKeever's Meta 4, a comic about an astronaut who wakes up in the desert. One of those collections where you suddenly realise the last chunk of the book is going to be sketches and bonus covers and hey, what, that was actually the end of the story..? I think I'll need to read it again.

My thoughts too, Stephen. It was a bit too oblique for me, after Transit, Eddy Current and Metropol.

Jay

Offline Joe Botting

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The world of the trilobites
« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2012, 04:41:27 am »
Picked up Exiles of the Rynth by Carole Nelson Douglas in a second-hand shop while back in the UK. It's part of a series that I've not seen before, and few people seem to have written any reviews of. It's strange how some '80s fantasy could have been written today, but this definitely had a Moorcock or Tolkien-like feel to it - "heroic" but with the narration somewhat remote from the characters, who are difficult to really empathise with (and just a tad stereotypical... at least, they are now). I also don't think too much thought went into creating a truly believable world, and it was more about a vehicle for the abstract concepts and narrative ideas. Some of the ideas are really quite interesting, though, and I confess I quite enjoyed it. Must write a review for Amazon at some point - it deserves that much, at least.
Another day, another universe to explore...

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2012, 09:32:00 am »
Read the Ramsey Campbell story in Book of Horrors last night. Absolutely brilliant, it's scary, and I could so relate to the topic.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #319 on: January 09, 2012, 02:35:16 pm »
just finished a 1950s American text book on Greek mythology which I found as a freebie on Kindle.  It was a riot reading how the author cautiously described the morality and sexuality: delicate descriptions of drapery on classical statues ...   :D

About to start Abattoir in the Aether - the latest in the Space 1889 and beyond series.

And the very weird Chuggie and the Desecretation of Stagwater by Brent Michael Kelley - a book where the protagonist has a ship's anchor wrapped round his neck ... need I say more ?
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline che2000

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2012, 12:40:54 am »
Just started Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake and am reminded once again what a wonderful writer he was.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2012, 11:12:48 am »
Currently reading seven books, according to Goodreads:

- Theme Planet, Andy Remic
- Red Sonja Digital Omnibus 1
- Bluebeard, Angela Carter
- Mere Anarchy, Woody Allen
- Best American Comics 2011, ed. Alison Bechdel
- Do Not Pass Go, Joel Lane
- Citizen Rex, Gilbert Hernandez

Really must stop myself starting any new ones till I've cleared the decks a bit!

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2012, 02:45:14 pm »
Picked up Exiles of the Rynth by Carole Nelson Douglas in a second-hand shop while back in the UK. It's part of a series that I've not seen before, and few people seem to have written any reviews of. It's strange how some '80s fantasy could have been written today, but this definitely had a Moorcock or Tolkien-like feel to it - "heroic" but with the narration somewhat remote from the characters, who are difficult to really empathise with (and just a tad stereotypical... at least, they are now). I also don't think too much thought went into creating a truly believable world, and it was more about a vehicle for the abstract concepts and narrative ideas. Some of the ideas are really quite interesting, though, and I confess I quite enjoyed it. Must write a review for Amazon at some point - it deserves that much, at least.
That is the 2nd in the series here is the listing
Six of Swords
Exiles of the Rynth
Seven of Swords
Heir of Rengarth
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2012, 06:51:36 pm »
Just finished The Hunger Games (bk 1) by Suzanne Collins, which I enjoyed as lots of action plus interesting characterisation.

Currently reading
- Carnacki: The Ghost Finder by William Hope Hodgson, as I've come across Carnacki in other books/TV but not read any of the original stories. Like the fact that some of the solutions are supernatural and some not. Reading this on the eReader & have also downloaded some John Silence stories for the same reason.

- Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen : an interesting, oversize illustrated novel about a precious 12 year old cartographer. Will probably take me a while as most pages have illustrated footnotes or side notes, which ass to the story or characterisation. The intriguing cover made me pick it up last time we were in Gosh Comics in London (when down for the BFS Open Night).

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 11, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »
I read all nine original Carnacki tales & all six John Silence stories recently. I have to say I really preferred the John Silence stories & I think it's such a shame that the character has been neglected by newer authors, compared to the number of Carnacki pastiches out there.

By the way, I'm currently reading William Meikle's Carnacki collection & will submit a review to the BFS website when I'm done. It's very good indeed so far.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2012, 07:39:45 pm »
A Princess of Mars E R Burroughs.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2012, 10:15:16 pm »
Just started Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake and am reminded once again what a wonderful writer he was.

I loved his book Mr Pye
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 02, 2012, 05:47:30 pm »
Just finishing off Rhysop's Fables by Rhys Hughes, and loving it. Didn't mean to read it, was just having a glance after it downloaded, and before I knew it I was twenty-odd fables in...

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #328 on: February 02, 2012, 05:56:23 pm »
Rhys is certainly a great writer.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2012, 05:09:48 pm »
DC have had the whole Flashpoint crossover on sale for 69p an issue on Comixology, and I ended up enjoying it so much that I bought several of the spin-off mini-series as well as the main one.

The post-Crisis DC universe has turned into a nightmare thanks to some time-meddling, and Flash (Barry Allen) is the only one who remembers how things used to be. Loved for example the surprises about the Batman of this changed reality, the gang of foster kids who have all got a chunk of Captain Marvel's powers, and The Outsider, a new Indian supervillain.

In the end Flash manages to go back and fix what went wrong, but things aren't quite the same, and that's where the new DC universe begins. Lots of good reading.