Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 203488 times)

Martin Roberts

Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2009, 08:12:58 pm »
Whilst I enjoyed reading Ramsey's latest I don't think its one of is best Stephen... I spotted the tea making in Rain Dogs too, it brought back memories of a short film we had to watch.

We got to see the full-on suspense of the main character making a cup of tea, and I mean the full experience from tea bag insertion to waiting for the kettle to boil...

I thought Rain Dogs was a great debut novel and was not as critical about the kettle scene after surviving the above ;D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009, 11:18:31 pm »
Just finished Thieving Fear in time before the close of voting. If that's not his best, I'll look forward to the rest! It was a profoundly miserable reading experience, but a brilliant one. The weak point of human society and relationships (or maybe the thing that makes society possible!) is the imperfection of communication between us, and this book hammered away at that until it gave. Loved it.

Offline Colin (Black Abyss)

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Black Abyss
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 10:13:44 am »
White and Other Tales of Ruin by Tim Lebbon, never read a bad Tim Lebbon story yet and these are among his best.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 05:30:28 pm »
Jasmyn by Alex Bell. A woman is burying her hubby who died suddenly. During the funeral five black swans fall out of the sky, dead. A black horse gallops across the deck of Queen Elizabeth (the ship). Her husband, she learns, had lied to her about his jaunts around the world. I like the writing style -- direct and very easy to read. But the main character is just too introspective, and there's a bit too much repetition. The description of the laboratory was wrong: visitors to a lab are not taken into an area where brutal experiments are conducted on animals -- there are too many safeguards around to prevent that to happen. Nevertheless, I'm still enjoying the book a lot...

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2009, 11:41:37 am »
...visitors to a lab are not taken into an area where brutal experiments are conducted on animals -- there are too many safeguards around to prevent that to happen.

Safeguards against the brutal experiments on animals or against the people seeing the brutal experiments...  :-*

Keep meaning to pick up a copy of Jasmyn, I've had Bell's Ninth Circle on my To Read pile for ages...

I've just finished reading The Gypsy Morph by some guy called Terry Brooks...  that was fun, although a little distracting trying to mentally place geographical features from it into the later world of Shannara.  One of these days I'm going to have to go back and reread the early Shannaras.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 05:41:53 pm »
Jasmyn had a pretty decent review in the BSFA's latest mailing. It mentioned the book's weaknesses, but overall it was liked.

Martin Roberts

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 07:10:12 pm »
Currently and finally reading Charles Beaumont's Selected Stories, which has bee on the shelf for far too long!

Offline FictionFan01

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2009, 07:14:52 pm »
Virus (aka The Missing) by Sarah Langan.

Offline Jay Eales

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Factor  Fiction
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2009, 08:42:16 pm »
The Naming of the Beasts by Mike Carey. The latest Felix Castor novel. Unsurprisingly, I'm really enjoying it so far. I need to finish it before the weekend so Selina can take it with her on a lazy weekend on the canals with her folks.  :)

Offline FictionFan01

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2009, 09:12:22 am »
Creepers by David Morrell.

My first David Morrell novel. The reason why I picked this title up was that it won the Bram Stoker award a few years ago. I hope it's good. (As for the Bram Stoker award, it looks like any rubbish book can win it, unfortunately.)

Kadiss

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2009, 03:34:38 pm »
'The Bonehunters' by Steven Erikson, which is the sixth book in his series 'The Malazan Book of the Fallen'.

I was looking for something inspiring to read last year (after finishing Celia Friedman's 'Feast of Souls', the first book in her 'Magister' trilogy), and stumbled across Erikson. The first book was a somewhat strange reading experience, but as I've  worked my way through the series the sheer scope of what he's trying to achieve has just taken my breath away. I just hope that he manages to tie everything up properly!

I would definitely recommend the series.

Offline FictionFan01

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2009, 01:01:40 pm »
In the Night Room (Peter Straub)

Summary:

"Award-winning children's book author Willy Patrick seems to be having a breakdown. Figures from her past are coming to visit her, most frighteningly her dead daughter, Holly, who was murdered together with Willy's first husband. Then Willy discovers her mysterious fiance may well have been responsible for the deaths of her husband and daughter. After fleeing the house they are renovating she runs into Tim Underhill, also an author haunted by the deaths of loved ones. In fact, his long-deceased nine-year-old sister recently appeared to him on the way to his favourite diner, and he's been getting strange emails from people in his home town -- none of whom are still alive. But what really spooks him is the realization that Willy seems to be the heroine of the book he is currently working on, in precisely the mortal peril he has invented for her... "
- Amazon

----------

Nels

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2009, 09:25:52 am »
You Might Sleep... by Nick Mamatas, & The Imago Effect by Laird Barron.

Basically, what short horror fiction should look like in the 21st Century.

Mamatas is hilarious, scalpel-sharp, mixing in pop cultchah, splatterpunk, satire & vast reserves of venom, whilst Barron goes for the neo-baroque in the vein of Ligotti (cut with a healthy dose of noir) & nails it every time.

Long time since I read two small press horror collections & didn't cringe at a single story.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2009, 11:52:02 am »
What are you currently reading...?

:D ;D :o

Are you kidding?!

The last issue of Prism and the new one about to come out only have one review each by me. Why? Because EVERYONE waits until Fantasycon before releasing their new titles!  ::)

No wonder I spent 143 this year in the Dealers' Room! Sheesh...

So, Craig Lockley [Prism's indie-press editor] if you're out there then get ready to be hit with eight reviews by the end of the year:

Allen Ashley Once and Future Cities (Eibonvale)

Sarah Pinborough The Language of Dying (PS Publishing)

Joel Lane The Witnesses Are Gone (PS Publishing)

Gary McMahon Different Skins (Screaming Dreams)

Joel Lane The Terrible Changes (Ex Occidente)

Ramsey Campbell Just Behind You (PS Publishing)

Simon Strantzas Cold to the Touch (Tartarus)

Rio Youers Old Man Scratch (PS Publishing)

Only the Ashley and the Youers were free review copies (the Youers by way of a pdf file). All others were purchased  from the Dealers' Room last weekend. (There were others books which I bought, but these tended to be titles from last year or the year before which I had missed.)

Ashley's massive collection I'm currently half way through and the Pinborough I read on the train home from Nottingham. Currently reading Lane's novella The Witnesses Are Gone.

Expect a VERY glowing wearing-my-heart-on-my-sleeve review of Pinborough's novella. If you think Tim Lebbon's The reach of Children was astonishing...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2009, 04:59:55 pm »
I've got most of those to read too, some for review in TQF and some that I bought. Think I'll pick off the short ones first. A month spending novellas would be a lot of fun.

The next Prism is due out at the beginning of December, so aim to get what reviews you can to Craig well before then - probably by about November 9, unless David comes up with new deadlines. It depends to some extent what printer he'll be using.