Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 192614 times)

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #480 on: January 03, 2015, 10:26:01 pm »
On the comic side Granville Noel by Brian Talbot, splendid as always, a one shot Shadow: Agents of Shadow, fairly straight forward but enjoyable. Shadow Show a celebration of Ray Bradbury, The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury and Backward in Seville are the episodes in the current issue and splendid.

I finished The Ghost Pirates by William hope Hodgson, I enjoyed it, a corss between the Sargasso sea & The House on the Borderland. Also a short SF set in the far flung 1970's after the first flight to Mars when 2 go and only 1 comes back in Judith Merrill's The Tomorrow People (no not those.) a slight but enjoyable tale.

Wayne

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2015, 06:58:43 am »
Just read The Very Best of Kate Elliott, which I enjoyed a lot. I think it might be her complete short fiction rather than a selection of the best, but I wouldn't have guessed from how good it all was. Now reading Zenith by Grant Morrison and Steve Yeowell.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 15, 2015, 06:45:16 am »
Reading Black Gods Kiss, the PS Publishing collection of Gorel stories by Lavie Tidhar, and enjoying it very much. He's one of my very favourite authors at the moment.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 17, 2015, 04:51:32 pm »
Currently reading The Whispering Swarm by Michael Moorcock. It's very gossipy. I like the bit where the character Michael Moorcock talks about writing his paperback fantasies in three days, but taking a whole ten days for his literary books.

Offline James Everington

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Scattershot Writing
« Reply #484 on: February 23, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
Reading the short story collection Nightingale Songs by Simon Strantzas. Great stuff, including one story which is the most Aickmanesque thing either read outside of Robert Aickman.
-- James Everington
Scattershot Writing

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #485 on: February 24, 2015, 04:53:33 pm »
Reading the short story collection Nightingale Songs by Simon Strantzas. Great stuff, including one story which is the most Aickmanesque thing either read outside of Robert Aickman.

That's a great collection

Offline James Everington

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Scattershot Writing
« Reply #486 on: February 26, 2015, 08:12:21 am »
Yes it is. Some horrendous formating issues in the ebook version I have though. One story just stops mid-sentence right towards the end; then the end of that stories appears directly after the climax of the next story in the book, ruining the experience of reading both.

I downloaded it awhile ago, so hopefully fixed by now, but it's a real shame as the stories themselves are great.
-- James Everington
Scattershot Writing

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 10, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »
I've been digging into the Subterranean Press Humble Bundle this month. So far I've read Nobody's Home by Tim Powers, Brayan's Gold by Peter Brett, Salvage and Demolition, also by Tim Powers, The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein by Thomas Ligotti, and Muse of Fire by Dan Simmons. Brayan's Gold, about a courier travelling through demon-haunted mountains, was probably my favourite, but they were all good.

I've also just read Welcome to Just a Minute by Nicholas Parsons, possibly the longest book I've ever read in a single day - I've been too poorly with a cold to do anything other than read. It was also the first full-length print book I've read in over a year. Plus All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, an sf take on Groundhog Day, which was neat and thrilling without making tons of sense.

Offline UnsungStories

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Unsung Stories
« Reply #488 on: March 13, 2015, 03:53:40 pm »
Yes it is. Some horrendous formating issues in the ebook version I have though. One story just stops mid-sentence right towards the end; then the end of that stories appears directly after the climax of the next story in the book, ruining the experience of reading both.

Drives me round the bend, this. Also, OCR errors where they've clearly scanned a physical copy but not proofread it. This is why my kindle has teeth marks on it.

Reading though? The Master and Margarita, finally. It's surprisingly tongue-in-cheek for something so adored by literary types. I'm 85% sure Monty Python lifted bits for The Life of Brian as well.
With sorcery, as everyone knows, once it starts there's no stopping it.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 13, 2015, 04:08:51 pm »
Drives me round the bend, this. Also, OCR errors where they've clearly scanned a physical copy but not proofread it. This is why my kindle has teeth marks on it.

Yes, the SF Gateway collection is notorious for this, and their books aren't cheap either!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 15, 2015, 07:26:15 am »
Just read The Wizard's Coming by Juliet McKenna, a brutal fantasy story, Black Hat Jack by Joe Lansdale, a brutal western, and Tortured Souls by Clive Barker, a fluffy bunny tale... No, that was pretty brutal too. It collects short stories that originally appeared in the packaging of a series of action figures, so it's a bit disjointed, but I liked his idea that on Sunday God, rather than resting, made all the monsters. Before those I read The Usagi Yojimbo Saga, Vol. 1 by Stan Sakai, which really is a fluffy bunny tale - that book was so brilliant even a cameo from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles couldn't harm it. Poetry in every panel.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 28, 2015, 07:44:55 am »
Reading a bunch of comics all at once: Alien Legion Omnibus 2 (okay apart from the new female recruit's battle armour sporting high heels!), John Carter of Mars (Dark Horse's collection of the Marvel series; includes some spectacular Carmine Infantino artwork), Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago 1 (begins with Star Wars and then shows what happened after), and Grendel Omnibus 1 (short stories about a supervillain assassin and crime boss).

Offline UnsungStories

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Unsung Stories
« Reply #492 on: March 30, 2015, 11:18:10 am »
On to Roadside Picnic here (finally!). Vandermeer's Annihiliation trilogy already makes a lot more sense.
With sorcery, as everyone knows, once it starts there's no stopping it.

Offline James Everington

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Scattershot Writing
« Reply #493 on: April 03, 2015, 07:50:35 am »
Almost finished the collection Hair Side, Flesh Side by Helen Marshall.

Damn, she's good. After reading Gifts For The One Who Comes After (her second collection) last year, I was slightly worried her debut wouldn't be as great. I was very wrong. Moving, soulful, surreal, scary weird stories. Just what we like to see.
-- James Everington
Scattershot Writing

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 03, 2015, 11:25:43 am »
I'm reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi, and enjoying it a lot. Reminds me of J.K. Rowling in a way. What she did with classic English children's books - echoing the good and trying to update the bad - he seems to be doing there with Robert Heinlein's early work. I'd forgotten how much I loved some Heinlein books, but Old Man's War brings it all back.