Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 196288 times)

Offline FictionFanX

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #270 on: April 29, 2011, 11:08:51 am »
Fiction:

THE GRAYS (Whitley Strieber)

Non-fiction:

MAN, BEAST AND ZOMBIE - What Science Can and Cannot Tell Us About Human Nature (Kenan Malik)

PHYSICS OF THE IMPOSSIBLE (Michio Kaku)

Offline FictionFanX

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 01, 2011, 07:38:24 am »
Also started:

WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS (J. M. Coetzee)

"A remarkable and original book" - Graham Greene

"A powerful - even prophetic - intelligence at work" - The Independent

"This is a voice at once authoritative and subtle: a very powerful combination" - The Observer

"Waiting for the Barbarians is a distinguished piece of fiction" - The New York Times

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #272 on: May 04, 2011, 07:24:50 am »
Non-fiction:

I'm a third of the way through this book, now...
What did you think of it?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #273 on: May 05, 2011, 08:33:55 am »
I have a spare paperback copy sitting around somewhere If you want it, just PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post the next time I'm near a post office

Hey, thanks for the offer, but I hardly ever get around to reading print books nowadays!

Offline FictionFanX

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 05, 2011, 09:31:21 pm »
Non-fiction:

I'm a third of the way through this book, now...
What did you think of it?
I like the book for what it is: intriguing pop-science sprinkled with humour (I'm also professionally interested in certain discussion points, as my Ph.D. is in Physical Chemistry). Kaku, world-leading theoretical physicist and best-selling author, summarizes the current research forefronts in several interdisciplinary fields of physics/chemistry/engineering. Kaku provides a nice overview with scattered references throughout. It's not a technical book; it's a text for the mainstream. Those who want a deeper insight into quantum theory and string theory will have to look elsewhere.
I'm a Kaku fan, I admit. I've just purchased his new best-seller: PHYSICS OF THE FUTURE.

Stu

« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:24 am »
‎70 pages into Hell's Bells by John Connolly and so far it's absolutely brilliant.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2011, 05:36:54 pm »
I'm taking another stab at John Buchan's Greenmantle. I'd probably be enjoying it if it wasn't for the incessant racism and the homophobia... I imagine it would be sexist too if there were any female characters.  :P

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 02, 2011, 11:59:31 am »
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has more than one book on the go; usually a novel and a volume of short stories. However, it is unusual for me to have THREE novels on the go:

The Arthur C. Clarke award-winning The Sparrow (1996) by Mary Doria Russell. A beautifully characterized work, by turns funny and tragic. A fresh examination of the question, if there's no God then what does it all mean? This is a library copy, so I read it at work and in the pub and such as it didn't matter if it got a little grubby.

A Game of Thrones (1996) by George R. R. Martin. Wonderful intrigue, grimy and realistic. Nearing the end of listening to the unabridged 33 hour audio edition, whilst travelling to and from work. Currently saving up the HBO adaptation on our Sky box so Audrey and I can watch it all later.

On Stranger Tides (1988) by Tim Powers. Reading this only at home as it's a first edition and don't want to get it damaged. Recently reissued in paperback. Been a good season for reissues, what with Anno Dracula by Kim Newman and Infernal Devices by K. W. Jeter.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 03, 2011, 10:03:40 am »
I have only the vaguest memories of On Stranger Tides - I forgot I'd even read it for years! But the film seemed vaguely familiar at times.

I'm currently reading The Green Gods by Nathalie Henneberg. A French sf novel with the grand, theatrical feel of a seventies sf film like Logan's Run or Planet of the Apes, translated by C.J. Cherryh.

And The Mushroom Jungle by Steve Holland, about the post-war boom in paperback publishing. I'd seen this one mentioned a lot in The Paperback Fanatic and on the Vault of Evil, and I'm interested in the history of publishing (I'll file this with books like The Target Book by David Howe, The English Common Reader by Richard Altick, and Penguin Special by Jeremy Lewis). Seems relevant to the similar boom (in number of publications if not necessarily sales) that we're now seeing in the Kindle era.

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:04 am »
Ass Goblins of Auschwitz, by Cameron Pierce.

Not sure what to make of it...I've never read anything like it before, that's for sure!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2011, 02:34:59 pm »
I'm really not a fan of Bizzaro, I think in the main it's just trying to be like the smart arsed kid in the class

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #281 on: June 07, 2011, 04:46:04 pm »
Just finished Side Jobs by Jim Butcher, which is a collection of the Dresden Files related short stories and novellas. Fun and/or interesting additions to the novel series, but don't read them before reading the relevant novels (like I did!), as they contain spoilers!

Also the HP Lovecraft Anthology Vol 1 graphic novel - enjoyed reading these comic strip adaptations of some of his short stories, as I haven't read any original Lovecraft. Wonderfully illustrated.

Currently reading:
The Thief of Time by John Boyne.
Power of Three by Diana Wynne Jones.
Dipping into Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #282 on: June 10, 2011, 09:06:00 am »

I'm currently reading a brand new book courtesy of being one of the jurists for the HWA's Stoker Award for best novel. This one is Willy by Robert Dunbar, published by Uninvited Books. A strange, dark novel set in a school, most of whose pupils are boarders and all of whom seem oddly damaged. Mind you, most of the staff seem oddly damaged too.

The writing is vaguely reminiscent of Catcher in the Rye, though it's not a pastiche or anything like that. It's a real-time journal kept by one of the damaged pupils, whose roommate is a charismatic but possibly doomed young teenager called Willy.

This took me a short while to get into, possibly because of the way it's written, but it's sucked me in now and, though nothing overtly horrifying has happened yet, there are enough premonitions that things are not going to turn out well...

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2011, 01:06:36 am »
Just a few stories into Fangs for the Mamories ed. by Esther Friesner only two well known (to me anyway) authors are Jody Lyn Nye & Robin Wanye Baily plus the editor as well, it's a light fun read so far. ;D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #284 on: June 17, 2011, 06:40:16 am »
Sartre's 'Age of Reason'. I thought I wouldn't like it but its bloody good