Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 207901 times)

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #285 on: June 17, 2011, 11:37:02 am »
I've picked up a hardback copy of James Herbert's The Spear - the first edition, with the expanded prologue and the war time flashback scenes that had to be taken out due to a legal argument with Trevor Ravenscroft.

I can understand the wartime sequences taken out - the argument being that Herbert was under the impression that they were real, documented events and therefore a public source, when in actual fact it was all fiction on Ravenscroft's account - but that doesn't explain the cutting of the prologue.

It's told through the eyes of the centurion who pierced Christ's side with the spear - he does so because the Temple Guard are coming to break the legs and skulls of the crucified, as Jewish tradition forbids execution on the Sabbath. The centurion vows to give Christ a soldier's death, hence the piercing.

Any ideas why this was cut?

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2011, 03:30:23 pm »
Just finished Book I of Stonewielder by Ian Cameron Esslemont, which was pretty good.

Now I'm onto Dragon's Time, a Pern novel by Anne & Todd McCaffrey (although the letter to readers at the beginning seems to say it was pretty much written by Todd) which I'm reading for review. I think the previous Pern book I read was 20 or so books earlier in the series...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 01, 2011, 07:59:00 am »
I'm reading Ventiloquism by Catherynne M. Valente, which has been quite stunning so far, even if there's a story every now and again that completely baffles me. I was also reading Do Not Pass Go, a chapbook of crime stories by Joel Lane, but I'm not sure where it's got to.

Offline che2000

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 02, 2011, 07:42:48 pm »
I've just finished The Infernal Desire Machines of Dr Hoffman by Angela Carter - an amazing, mind-warping novel that I'm still trying to fully digest.

Offline P.G.Bell

• Initiate
  • Writer, reader, reviewer and podcaster of sf/f/h.
    • View Profile
    • Impossible Podcasts
« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2011, 04:31:42 pm »
I'm reading "The Girl in a Swing" by Richard Adams. It's the only thing of his I've read beyond "Watership Down" and I must say that, so far, I'm impressed. It's billed as an erotic/romantic mystery with tinges of dark fantasy. Well, his fantasy is very dark indeed and, although it's a very slow burning story, it's building up an impressive head of steam.
IMPOSSIBLE PODCASTS - Reviews and discussions of science fiction and fantasy on television, in books and in films, by a group of Cardiff-based fans! http://impossiblepodcasts.blogspot.com/

Offline Ramsey Campbell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ramsey Campbell
« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2011, 04:09:07 pm »
I've picked up a hardback copy of James Herbert's The Spear - the first edition, with the expanded prologue and the war time flashback scenes that had to be taken out due to a legal argument with Trevor Ravenscroft.

I can understand the wartime sequences taken out - the argument being that Herbert was under the impression that they were real, documented events and therefore a public source, when in actual fact it was all fiction on Ravenscroft's account - but that doesn't explain the cutting of the prologue.

It's told through the eyes of the centurion who pierced Christ's side with the spear - he does so because the Temple Guard are coming to break the legs and skulls of the crucified, as Jewish tradition forbids execution on the Sabbath. The centurion vows to give Christ a soldier's death, hence the piercing.

Any ideas why this was cut?

Here's the actual argument from the court case - I'm not saying I agree:

http://www.100megsfree4.com/andrewmurray/Herbert.pdf

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 22, 2011, 09:23:28 am »
Been reading a lot of Dumarest since the SF Gateway titles appeared on Amazon - on the fourth now, Kalin. Very much enjoying them, although it feels like Gollancz are crowdsourcing the proofreading - lots of bad mistakes in there.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 22, 2011, 12:40:06 pm »
Just finished Guy Adams' excellent World House books. I've started The Scarlet Skull, a scarce US paperback original by C. E. Owston. The author is a friend of mine & I was curious, despite Chuck's warnings that he wrote it over 40 years ago & it isn't very good.
I have Md Lachlan's Wolfsangel on the heap, plus Kim Newman's latest & Guy Adams' Sherlock Holmes book. I'm also working my way through a load of older stuff on the Kindle... Currently the John Silence stories of Algernon Blackwood.

Having read a lot of the grumbles about the BFS focusing more on horror than fantasy, I'm inclined to check out some of the better new fantasy books, but to be honest I'm not sure what I should be looking for in that line.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #293 on: October 22, 2011, 11:32:49 pm »
Having read a lot of the grumbles about the BFS focusing more on horror than fantasy, I'm inclined to check out some of the better new fantasy books, but to be honest I'm not sure what I should be looking for in that line.

Cursed by Jeremy C Shipp - simply written, weird and wonderful  :)
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 23, 2011, 12:52:15 am »
Interesting, 'cos when I look Mr. Shipp up on wiki, it says...

"Jeremy C. Shipp is an American novelist and short story writer of Bizarro fiction and horror. His fiction has appeared or is forthcoming in publications such as Cemetery Dance, ChiZine, Apex Magazine, Pseudopod, and Rosebud. His newest novel, Cursed, was nominated for the Bram Stoker Award."

Now 'Cursed' is clearly not out & out horror as such, from reading the description, but Shipp does apparently write horror & 'Cursed' was up for a Bram Stoker, which most would see as a horror award.
It just goes to show really that it's all down to perception. There may have been a marked horror slant in the awards this year, but that's possibly down to the tastes of the people involved in the choices for nominees, or more likely it just happened that the works which made the most impression this year happened to lean in that direction, but I really don't see there being any sort of bias in the BFS as a whole. To be honest the lines between the various genres are too blurred for that to be a real issue.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #295 on: October 23, 2011, 01:46:02 am »
it has a strong psychological element but I personally wouldn't call it horror, just as I wouldn't call Alice in Wonderland horror despite Lewis Carroll writing some very dark and disturbing moments ... that said, Jeremy does write horror, quite often, in fact...

I've always thought Cursed to be weird, fantastical and bordering on bizarro

It just goes to show really that it's all down to perception. There may have been a marked horror slant in the awards this year, but that's possibly down to the tastes of the people involved in the choices for nominees, or more likely it just happened that the works which made the most impression this year happened to lean in that direction, but I really don't see there being any sort of bias in the BFS as a whole. To be honest the lines between the various genres are too blurred for that to be a real issue.

yep, too true ... I also think people vote for what they like and genres aside for a mo' (because I think it's smokescreening what's also going on), some people like escapism whilst others like it heavy - and there's nothing wrong with either
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #296 on: October 23, 2011, 06:23:51 am »
Long Shadows Nightmare Light by Mark Morris, and The Black Eyed Kids by Ian Rogers

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #297 on: October 23, 2011, 08:58:50 am »
incidentally David, I asked Jeremy C Shipp: is Cursed horror?
this was his reply:

I sometimes call it a horror book. But there are also elements of suspense, mystery, fantasy, comedy. I think it could be classified in different ways, depending on who's doing the classifying.

which pretty much echoes what you were saying about perception.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline stewartguitar

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 04, 2011, 10:04:50 am »
Just finished The Horror Anthology of Horror Anthologies - excellent.  I posted a review on the Amazon page http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horror-Anthology-Anthologies/dp/1447757351/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320401953&sr=8-1

Have now started on the only Lovecraft I haven't read before, Omnibus 1, At The Mountains of Madness.  It's surprisingly subtle so far.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:19:46 am by stewartguitar »

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #299 on: November 04, 2011, 11:35:54 pm »
Dostievsky's Crime and Punishment - just past the scene about the pony - nail biting stuff and beautifully played with the twist ...   ;D

A re-read of Armand Marie Leroy's Mutants - on the forms, varieties and errors of the human body is on the cards when I finish the above.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.