Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 217693 times)

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #330 on: February 07, 2012, 12:11:40 pm »
I tried Flashpoint, but honestly I couldn't get through it. Maybe I'd have been better not to have tried to read all the tie-ins in the right order, between issues of the main mini.

At least it's simplifying the DC universe for a while. Of course, I'm sure it'll be less than a year before they announce another mega event & start to mess it all up again.

It's been so long since it was possible to follow a good creative team, on a good book, without finding oneself caught up in the middle of a company wide mess. The fact that both DC & Marvel have been doing this more & more often since the early 90s has pretty much stopped me reading most of their books.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #331 on: February 07, 2012, 06:33:14 pm »
Yes, I just bought and read the main series, which hangs together pretty well on its own, then bought a few of the others. You're right about crossovers - they're horribly disruptive, although it's sometimes interesting to see how different creators handle them. Worst one for me was Millennium, where one supporting character in every comic had to be revealed to be a robot manhunter. But I liked DC One Million, where you got a future version of everyone, and The Final Night, where it basically just snowed for an issue.

I hadn't bought any monthly comics for ages, since about 2000-2001, when Preacher, Hitman, The Invisibles and Grant Morrison's JLA all finished, and that just left Hellblazer of those I'd been collecting a long time, and I switched to trades for that. But I've been enjoying Justice League Dark. And now it looks like Hellblazer has gone day-and-date digital: after years of murky trade paperbacks seeing it on the iPad is a revelation. I've also been buying Kirby Genesis as it comes out, and that's very impressive.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 08, 2012, 02:24:50 pm »
Worst one for me was Millennium, where one supporting character in every comic had to be revealed to be a robot manhunter.

I hadn't realised the similarity to Marvel's 'Secret Invasion', in which assorted characters were revealed as being Skrull spies.

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 09, 2012, 02:13:59 pm »
Just on the last section of Neal Stephenson's Reamde a large tome but rather good, a mixture of gaming cyber culture,spy and jihadist terrorism all wrapped together which is a bit of a page turner. ;D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 16, 2012, 07:10:51 pm »
An 1100-page comic book on sale at half-price on Comixology? Couldn't resist, but unfortunately The Darkness Compendium is a right load of rubbish so far. The Garth Ennis issues weren't too bad, though I was always trying to peer beyond the pin-up art to imagine what it might have been like with Steve Dillon or John McCrea illustrating, but the post-Ennis issues have been completely incoherent so far. Money badly spent.

Also reading Giant Thief, by David Tallerman, whose stories appeared in some of my issues of Dark Horizons. It's a slick fantasy about a thief who steals a giant and rides him off the battlefield, and is as much fun as that sounds. I mean slick in a good way - Gorillaz rather than Luther Vandross...

Also read the first issue of the Adventure Time comic, which was almost as brilliant as the TV series.

Offline Karen Stevens

• BFS Reviewers
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 07, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »
Just finished Shadow Prowler by Alexy Pekov and recommend it to everyone. Narrated in first person by our protagonist, Shadow Harold (a thief with a collection of gizmos that seem to come from the maddest D&D game ever), the plot (Nameless One rising again, small band of heroes must find the one magical artifact needed to stop him) may sound like it comes straight from the fantasy cliche bin, but Alexy gleefully inverts all of these apparent fantasy standards with wry, knowing humour (goblin jesters, anyone?). With action, dark humour and, best of all, a fantasy world that feels real, this is one of the best fantasy books I've read for a long while.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 21, 2012, 07:39:20 am »
Finally read the last five volumes of Scott Pilgrim, having loved the film, the game and all three soundtracks. Not a great surprise then that I loved the books too!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2012, 05:57:31 pm »
Read The Not Yet by Moira Crone for review in Interzone (you cannot imagine how thrilled I am to be writing for that magazine!) and liked it a lot. It's from the University of New Orleans Press, and imagines a future where that region is mostly beneath the waves.

Offline SAWatts

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2012, 10:56:07 pm »
Just been re reading Fevre Dream - love it.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 28, 2012, 09:00:17 pm »
Picked up the first four books of the British Fantasy Award-winning Locke & Key in a sale on Comixology. First one's pretty good so far.

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #340 on: March 29, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »
I seem to be partway through a load of books at the minute, but I'm really enjoying The Steel Seraglio by Mike, Lin & Louise Carey from ChiZine Press.

Inspired by the format and setting of The Arabian Nights it has tales within tales, all woven around the central plot of how 300 odd concubines go from about to be executed in the desert to taking over a city.

Offline Ray

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 30, 2012, 10:59:29 am »
I've got a little lot on the go, too - Game of Thrones for me occasionally, with New Cthulhu anthology and Hellbound Hearts anthology and in and out of Palahnuik's Haunted.  Enjoying them all for different reasons.  Once in a while I pick up The Passage again, but as much as I'm enjoying it when I do I'm never in a rush to do so.

Easter break nearly here, so I keep looking at my 'to read' pile with longing and barely contained excitement.

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #342 on: March 31, 2012, 12:42:14 pm »
Just finished Jonathan Oliver's House of Fear anthology and Angela Slater's 'The Girl with No Hands' - both really good; but now I'm reading the brilliant Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
« Reply #343 on: March 31, 2012, 05:55:03 pm »
Just finished Jonathan Oliver's House of Fear anthology and Angela Slater's 'The Girl with No Hands' - both really good; but now I'm reading the brilliant Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.

Really enjoyed Rivers of London & Moon Over Soho. Looking forward to the 3rd book later in the year.

I am about to go on a YA binge as I just bought a load in the scholastic 1 a book sale.

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #344 on: March 31, 2012, 05:57:25 pm »
I am about to go on a YA binge as I just bought a load in the scholastic 1 a book sale.

Where is this mythical sale?