Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 217684 times)

Offline Selina

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Girly Comic & Blog
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #345 on: March 31, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »
I am about to go on a YA binge as I just bought a load in the scholastic 1 a book sale.

Where is this mythical sale?

Sorry, looks like it ended at midnight last night, but it was through their warehouse sale site, which seems to have them every so often: http://www5.scholastic.co.uk/static/warehouse/online.html

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2012, 06:02:49 pm »
Thanks, Selina. Looks like the next one is timed around my birthday. I shall have to put in some requests.

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2012, 10:01:28 pm »
I'm on the last book of Stan Nicholl's trilogy Orcs, quite enjoyable.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2012, 05:52:39 pm »
Having finished reading Reggie Oliver's excellent new collection, Shadow Plays, I've just downloaded to my kindle the first collection from Alex Miles, Glory and Splendour: Tales of the Weird.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007RX9MLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_ask_aalTD.0BNWVJC

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #349 on: April 19, 2012, 08:16:19 am »
I've been reading a couple of SF Gateway ebooks. Stepsons of Terra by Robert Silverberg isn't one of his masterworks, but had some interesting moments as a time-looped man feels guilty about the fates of his other selves.

The Super Barbarians by John Brunner sees humanity conquered by an alien race who turn out to be a bit useless. Good story so far, but it's another spectacularly shoddy job from the SF Gateway, full of scanning howlers. It's clear that Gollancz only got all those books out so quickly by cutting *all* the corners. And it's not as if the books are particularly cheap. They should be ashamed.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #350 on: April 19, 2012, 08:51:26 am »
I'm dipping in the autobiography of Mark Oliver Everetts. Fascinating.

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 19, 2012, 11:57:56 am »
Currently reading an advance promo review copy of Horror For Good.

https://www.facebook.com/horrorforgood

Currently only available directly from Createspace, but should hit amazon in both paper & kindle formats soon.

So far, this is turning out to be the best anthology I've seen in a very long time. The quality of the stories is absolutely top notch.

Offline Dragonladych

• Illustrator
  • Initiate
  • Dragon Whisperer
    • View Profile
    • devant Art gallery
« Reply #352 on: April 23, 2012, 08:19:30 pm »
Yesterday night I finished the book I anticipated most in the past months. "Hide Me Among The Graves" by my dear friend Tim Powers. Hard to be objective when you are friends and also a diehard fan for the past 25 years or so. I loved it. I would have like a couple of things developed more, but it was really all I was hoping for. I will write a little review on my blog.
The main thing for me is that I had a very vivid dream that went along the lines of the ending of the book, a sure sign that it was a very good story when this happens.

I am desperately slow otherwise as I only read about 30 min to an hour a day or even less if I worked until midnight and need to get up the next day. But I am also reading "The Court of The Air" by Stephen Hunt and enjoying it very much. Also "Le Dragon Griaule" by Lucius Shepard. For once I am reading it in French a thing I haven't done in years as I always prefer to read the original versions. But I liked the cover art so much, plus Lucius was there to sign the books when I met him in Nantes last year which was very cool.

Offline IanH

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 25, 2012, 04:44:21 pm »
Just finished Caitlin R. Kiernan's "The Red Tree" which was wonderfully spooky and weird. Bought her latest novel "The Drowning Girl" to read after I've read a couple of books to review for "Interzone".

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2012, 05:48:08 pm »
I've been reading the BFS Journal #5 (the Christmas one) and enjoying it so far. Mixing up the different types of writing has made it a lot of fun to read, every item having a chance to surprise. So far I've preferred the non-fiction to the fiction, although the former could have done with a bit of proofreading. As usual I loved the enthusiasm of Mark Morris's column.

And on the Kindle I've been reading the latest Obverse Quarterly, Zenith Lives!, featuring the Sexton Blake villain. I'm on to the long contribution from Michael Moorcock. Very much enjoying the book so far, although I keep getting sidetracked onto the brilliant website Blakiana, maintained by one of the contributors.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #355 on: April 27, 2012, 10:16:46 pm »
Just read the Devil's Tor, David Lindsay. It's the best fantasy novel I've read since A Voyage to Arcturus over thirty years ago. Beyond 'unique' I have no words to describe it really as its unlike anything i have ever read.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 03, 2012, 09:20:01 am »
Reading and enjoying Cloud Permutations by Lavie Tidhar, about a boy who wants to fly on a world where it isn't allowed. It's the first thing of his I've read, apart from the book he edited for the BFS, A Dick and Jane Primer. We've had quite a few of his books in for review at TQF over the last couple of years - could see myself catching up on all of them this year.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #357 on: May 03, 2012, 10:24:25 am »
Reading and enjoying Cloud Permutations by Lavie Tidhar, about a boy who wants to fly on a world where it isn't allowed. It's the first thing of his I've read, apart from the book he edited for the BFS, A Dick and Jane Primer. We've had quite a few of his books in for review at TQF over the last couple of years - could see myself catching up on all of them this year.

I've am proud to say that Lavie Tidhar's first published work was in 'Nemonymous'. :)
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 03, 2012, 10:27:17 am »
Cloud Permutations might be the second thing of his I've read, then!

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 03, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »
Mark Hodder's 'The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack'. It's rather good.
http://markhodder.blogspot.co.uk/p/novels-stories.html