Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 198629 times)

Offline stewartguitar

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #405 on: June 14, 2013, 09:10:02 am »
I've just finished Christopher Brookmyre's Bedlam which was entertaining and funny, but had so many gamer references that I got annoyed with them.  If you're just a few years younger than me and have played lots of computer games you'll probably love it.

It's good that an established crime writer like Brookmyre is trying his hand at science fiction, having already had a fairly successful wee shot at horror in Pandemonium.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:47:05 pm by stewartguitar »

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #406 on: June 28, 2013, 11:59:02 pm »
Brent M Kelley's Chuggie and the Bleeding Gateways a bizarre antiheroic fantasy where the protagonist is a drunkard "embodiment of drought" half-demon trying to haplessly rectify the chaos he created in the last book ... why ? because the love of his life is shaming him into action which is a kind of nagging he can't escape since she has haunted his mind after blood-sealing herself on a page of her spellbook he has promised to carry for ... so he's trying to find a boy he left in the woods who may have been captured by rather small wildmen or eaten by rather nasty tortoises ... Chuggie is accompanied by deferential ghosts of people he has happened to murder when failing to save a city from desecration, encounters a amateur winemaker who's obsessed with making stew in order to tick off his neighbour as well as other strange subplots

what's it like ?

Douglas Adams gene-spliced with Scherrazad writing about brere rabbit going on a pub crawl/killing spree with an arsenal of magical weapons - good old fashioned absurd fantasy adventure with a smattering of inebriated cursing for good measure 8)  
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #407 on: July 06, 2013, 11:58:48 pm »
Oh myyy !  there goes the internet by George Takei

"that Zulu guy from Star Trek"

- halfway through - a bit pricey for a short book but plenty of laffs and social commentary about his decisions about Twitter and Facebook - the chapter where he's rigged up as Spider-man is hilarious - a few illustrations nabbed from his posts which are tiny on a Kindle and some only suitable for the myopics amongst us but the charm of this is if you've 'liked' his page a few months back it puts those past memes in context
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Stu

« Reply #408 on: July 19, 2013, 10:40:06 am »
Dipping into various anthologies: 65 Great Murder Mysteries by Mary Danby; Black Wings by S.T. Joshi; Inferno by Ellen Daltow; A Book of Horrors, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, various volumes of Best New Horror, all by Stephen Jones.

Also dipping into various short story collections: More Tomorrow by Michael Marshall Smith, A Glow of Candles by Charles L Grant, Polyphemus by Michael Shea.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #409 on: July 23, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »
currently 70% through Vampsov by Daniel Ribot ... it's about vampires and 40s soviet Russia

I found the first 3 chapters a bit telling, I'm not too keen on adverbs in novels although these were sparse, but I'm glad I stuck with it because this habit soon evaporates creating a more involving style

... strangely, the stuff I'm most enjoying is in the female lead's domestic issues which are nicely handled.  The other strength is the way that Ribot shows the historical points - the main characters have a love for Stalin but the writing subtly nods to the image history has since painted of him, which ends up adding necessary authenticity.  :)
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #410 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:24 am »
I'm reading Path of Needles by Alison Littlewood, though it's been taking me a while since I don't like reading scary things at bedtime! It's about an inexperienced police officer who's working the kind of case you'd normally ask Luther to investigate.

Before that I enjoyed Tobias Buckell's Arctic Rising, about hijinks around the North Pole after the ice melts, and I'm looking forward to Children of Fire by Drew Karpyshyn, which arrived for review this week. He was a writer on the Mass Effect games, which I'm very fond of.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 17, 2013, 12:04:25 pm »
Finished quite a few comics on holiday, plus a couple of books:

Doctor Who: The Silurian Gift - okay. Just a Quick Read, not a lot to it.
Archie: The Vampire Saga - Archie comics are very relaxing.
Judge Dredd: Complete Case Files 01 - surprised to find Mega City 1 was dropped from the strip for so long.
The Avengers by Bendis, Volume 1 - pretty but nonsense. Apart from the time travel stuff, when would Spidey and Wolverine find time to be in the Avengers?
Vampire Cheerleaders, Vol. 2 - bought in a sale, not very good.
Locke and Key, Vol. 5 - good without blowing me away.
Finches of Mars, Brian Aldiss - very good, kind of pitiless; reminded me of AI.

Would have read a lot more comics on the holiday if the children hadn't taken control of the Kindle Fire. Also read chunks of Madman, Vol. 3 and Nexus Omnibus, Vol. 2, both really good.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #412 on: August 21, 2013, 07:13:07 pm »
a third of a way through Candy House by Kate Jonez - it's a strange psychological horror tale of weird families in the middle class US suburbs - a bit like Amistead Maupin  in places - I'm enjoying it so far
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 22, 2013, 07:09:34 am »
Just started The Violent Century by Lavie Tidhar. Only a few chapters in but I think I'm going to like it a lot.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 15, 2013, 11:32:02 am »
I agree with you Stephen on Locke & Key, I'm getting it monthly (Now, now stop thinking that.) and the 3rd quarter was solid but nothing special. It picks up towards the end as the  revelations start to come together and the darkness really hits the fan. last issue is due out soon.

It Came from Titan is a 50's UK Invasion comic, I like this but at times it's too knowing. The 50's sensibility sometimes goes awry & too modern at times. It's a thin line between the sensibilities and chauvinism of the 50's and modern irony & this does not always get it. Still enjoyable hokum.

Reading Ash by James Herbert, I'm not as fast reading as you & Josh. I'm enjoying it, not his best but far from his worst. A solid read with some good scares with plenty of conspiracy theories thrown in. There are is also mass attack by animals which Herbert as always done so well. In a way it's full circle, like the Dark meets the Rats with his character Ash.

You know Josh I've never really thought of the use of adverbs in books.

Wayne.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #415 on: September 22, 2013, 11:24:45 am »
Candy House was great ... a fab little unexpected ending ... glad that Kate Jonez didn't sell out her plot.

just finished Monstrosities by Jeremy C Shipp a short anthology - Kindles can be deceptively priced as it's hard to judge how many pages you get for your lucre ... but I love anthologies and Shipp's characters leave a lasting impression so I guess you're buying the longevity of the idea ... the talking head approach he uses in his recent works make his brand of freaky surreality accessible

doing a bit of research into Euro mythology at the mo' - so reading various sources - and Sam Stone's The Darkness Within ... which I have to confess is not my usual cup of tea ... I like my reading matter a little grungy and Sam's world has a bit of bling ... nevertheless, it's good to spread your wings once in a while ...

You know Josh I've never really thought of the use of adverbs in books.

I think it's the critic in me that developed when I did my writing degree - my 'tell vs show' alert flashes.  I like the odd well placed adverb if it's in a monologue/dialogue as it shows a hint at character ... but mostly they're used like shorthand for lack of a strong noun or verb and a little voice tells me 'they could've done better.'
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

benedictjjones

« Reply #416 on: October 11, 2013, 04:41:55 pm »
'the house of small shadows' adam nevill and then it will be on to lloyd shepherds 'the poisoned isle'

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 11, 2013, 06:21:50 pm »
Robert Silverberg's The Last Song of Orpheus, which is well written but I'm still waiting for it to show why he wrote it. It seems like such a straight retelling of the story so far.

I've got The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen for review in the next Interzone and I'm looking forward to that. "Finland's best-kept literary secret"!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 19, 2013, 06:24:02 pm »
Just finishing off The Last Revelation of Gla'aki by Ramsey Campbell, a Lovecraft pastiche that came close to tipping into parody in places. I think I'd have adored it if it were the first mythos story I'd ever read.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 20, 2013, 12:13:06 pm »
Finished Fungus by Harry Adam Knight (AKA John Brosnan - sadly departed SF novelist.). It was a fun romp, eco-horror from the eighties. A lot better than the usual pulp, if you like Jack Yeovil (AKA Kim Newman.) the Orgy of the Blood Parasites you'll enjoy this. Superior 80's exploitative pulp.

Just started Big Thunder by Peter Atkins, we will see how it goes.

Also reading a book on New Scotland Yard from the 70's about the corruption in the late 60's & 70's that lead to a number of court cases, although a lot of people left for health & other reasons, I guess with the Saville enquiry it shows that they didn't far enough. I remember when the Operation Countryman was closed as a kid, a lot of this was then lost in the on going problems with unions & the tory government. Now with Hillsborough and Saville it starting to come out, along with the press involvement

Joshua I agree. The use of adjectives leads us into purple prose, gilding of the Lilly. I guess I do a similar thing to yourself but without technical knowledge, I notice when thing a get a bit florid or the writer is struggling to describe something and trying to hard, usually it does tend to weaken the impact. Having said that I do like Clark Ashton Smith & MP Shiel.

Wayne.