Author Topic: What are you currently reading..?  (Read 203039 times)

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
Re: What are you currently reading..?
« Reply #510 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:20 am »
Sounds good, George. I have that to read. I was on the panel of World Fantasy Award judges when her previous novel, "Who Fears Death", won. It was easily a unanimous judges' decision, so I'm looking forward to "Lagoon" (and anything which messes with the novel excites me!)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #511 on: November 05, 2015, 07:19:37 am »
I enjoyed Lagoon as well. Tough one to review without giving too much away.

I'm reading another Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 17 now.

Offline Bevallen

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 15, 2015, 05:29:52 pm »
I'm loving Jodi Taylor's stories of St Mary's. The idea behind it is great and Max is a heroine for our time....and all other time in fact :)

Offline Mythago

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 20, 2015, 10:44:06 am »
Taking a break from wading through the Asimov universe and reading The Mystery of Fu-Manchu (with all its political incorrectness) and Tanith Lee's Birthgrave (thought I would have a bit of 70s nostalgia - bought a tatty paperback online that smells like an old bookshop - lovely).

But soon I will go back to Isaac as I realised chronologically I should have started with I, Robot: to Protect by Mickey Zucker Reichert.
Dancing the Entropy Tango.

Offline UnsungStories

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Unsung Stories
« Reply #514 on: November 20, 2015, 11:38:45 am »
I've slipped into fantasy proper here. On to M. John Harrison's Viriconium Masterwork collection by way of Smiler's Fair and John Gardner's Grendel. Then I've got Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog. Harrison doesn't waste a single word, does he?
With sorcery, as everyone knows, once it starts there's no stopping it.

Offline Mythago

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 20, 2015, 04:19:50 pm »
and he has what is probably my favourite book title: Things That Never Happen, although imagine if it were Things That Never Happened. Would that have been even better? It's either that or Phoenix in Obsidian.
Dancing the Entropy Tango.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:18 am »
M. John Harrison is an excellent writer. I haven't read Viriconium, but Things That Never Happen is a superb collection of stories and I enjoyed Light too.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 23, 2015, 07:33:56 pm »
I've been reading Bruce Campbell's If Chins Could Kill (a very entertaining memoir of his years in the film business, up to about 2001) and listening to John Hodgman's That Is All (an excellent audiobook collecting the ravings of a deranged millionaire, with guest stars like Paul Rudd and They Might Be Giants). Both are really good.

Weirdly, upon reaching the end of the Campbell book I saw in the acknowledgments that he was prompted to write the book by an enquiry from a New York literary agent... the same John Hodgman, in a previous incarnation.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #518 on: December 25, 2015, 04:14:37 pm »
re-reading Ovid's The Fall of Icarus - the imagery and allegory is vivid and has this amazing line.

"Surely every man is his own god. Fortune refuses her aid to those who merely pray and take no action."
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 10, 2016, 03:38:12 pm »
I'm currently reading David Tallerman's Patchwerk, about a device that sets off a series of reality shifts. Part of the new Tor.com novella line, which I think I'm really going to like. (Not just saying that because they're edited by our treasurer!) Also reading The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman, which doesn't look like a fantasy book but secretly is.

Offline MrGrimstone

• Peasant Arch Deacon of Greater Loogie
  • Initiate
  • Um.....nope, I have nothing.
    • View Profile
    • Official David Grimstone Website
« Reply #520 on: February 04, 2016, 09:12:56 am »

Currently reading (for the first time): The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Gaiman), We Are Here (Marshall), Halting State (Stross), Shepherd's Crown (Pratchett), Redshirts (Scalzi), Dark Horizons (BFS) and Game of Thrones (Martin)

Currently re-reading: Consider Phlebas (Banks), Smoke & Mirrors/Fragile Things (Gaiman) and What You Make It (Marshall Smith)
Author of The Illmoor Chronicles (2003-2007), Davey Swag (2008), Gladiator Boy (2009-2010), Undead Ed (2011-2012) and - forthcoming - Outcasts: Game (2016-2018) Publishers: Disney USA, Hodder UK, Penguin USA, Open Road USA /Agents: The Sophie Hicks Agency

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 04, 2016, 09:37:24 pm »
I'm currently reading Midnight Blue Light-Special by Seanan McGuire second of her InCryptid novels enjoying them so far.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline UnsungStories

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Unsung Stories
« Reply #522 on: February 05, 2016, 10:16:55 am »
After moderate badgering from a colleague, Priest's The Dream Archipelago. I also read Crime and Punishment last month though, which a) is excellent and b) may include the earliest incarnation of zombie fiction I've found - certainly the most unlikely...
With sorcery, as everyone knows, once it starts there's no stopping it.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 08, 2016, 09:29:50 am »
I really enjoyed The Dream Archipelago (and all of Priest's novels I've read, particularly "The Affirmation"), and I'm currently reading "The Extremes".

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 04, 2016, 05:21:50 pm »
I'm reading The Lantern Bearers, the third in Rosemary Sutcliff's Eagle of the Ninth series, where practically the last Roman soldier left in Britain gets captured by Jutes and made a thrall. If she wrote any outright fantasy or science fiction I'd love to read it.