Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 57124 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
What was the last movie you watched?
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:40:34 AM »
We watched The Mutant Chronicles last weekend. Grand, ambitious, badly-paced, nonsensical and miscast. Any film with not one but two Sean Pertwee death scenes can't be all bad, but it was hard work.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
The Mutant Chronicles was also the last filml I watched too - or tried to watch. I'm afraid I gave up on it before the end. Even Sean Pertwee couldn't save it for me.  :-\

David

PS Actually I lie. This was the last fantasy/SF film I watched. After giving up on Chronicles I put on a DVD of High Sierra starring Humphrey Bogart and Aida Lupino, which was far, far better.

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »
ELECTION 2, a Triad-gangsters drama from the prolific Johnnie To.
Packs a lot of grisly violence into just 90 minutes, and it's a rare case of the sequel being superior to the first one!

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:45:52 PM »
The remake of Rollerball where Jean Reno was the only saving grace and he was heavily under his usual par.

Got the Season 1 part 2 boxset of Full Metal Alchemist which is pretty damn fantastic, I might add.   ;D
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
The remake of Rollerball where Jean Reno was the only saving grace and he was heavily under his usual par.

Oh dear, that reminds me of the original - which I hated. Here's a little story about how I came to see that. Waaaaay back (was it in the early-mid 70s?) Rollerball and The Exorcist were on at our small town two-screen cinema at the same time. I wanted to see The Exorcist, my boyfriend at that time wanted to see Rollerball. He won. It was awful. I ditched him (actually that was some time later, not due to our tastes in film, but it sounds better like that!  ;D).  Anyway, I can't imagine that a remake would be any better.

I rarely go to see films nowadays, and I haven't watched one on TV/DVD for a while, but I am seriously considering going to see the new Star Trek film. I wonder if an old trekkie like me (I remember the original with fondness the first time it was on TV) will enjoy it?  ???
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Martin Roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:45:33 PM »
The Ties That Bind - a short film based on a story by Brian Keene...

...not bad for a low budget short and one that will screen at FantasyCon in September.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:53:53 PM »
[REC] - a very good Spanish horror film which doesn't outstay its welcome despite the handheld camera and slightly out of context ending. 7/10.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 03:52:05 AM »

Oh dear, that reminds me of the original - which I hated. Here's a little story about how I came to see that. Waaaaay back (was it in the early-mid 70s?) Rollerball and The Exorcist were on at our small town two-screen cinema at the same time. I wanted to see The Exorcist, my boyfriend at that time wanted to see Rollerball. He won. It was awful. I ditched him (actually that was some time later, not due to our tastes in film, but it sounds better like that!  ;D).  Anyway, I can't imagine that a remake would be any better.

I liked the original Rollerball as it was the first American movie that I saw that criticised the sports industry - game rigging, violence, futile rules and anti-hero idolatry.  I couldn't help thinking that they were all villains, especially the audience, and that I was violated by watching it. 

However, what was missing in the remake was it became pure spectacle and thus distanced itself from the viewer.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 09:22:54 AM »
I liked the original Rollerball...
However, what was missing in the remake was it became pure spectacle

I agree... where the original had a futuristic gladitorial arena, the remake showcased a circus. 
That said, the remake was unfairly panned by many critics. I thought it was good fun, at times.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »
Just watched The Mist - mostly brilliant, but they all seemed to lose their minds a bit quicky. In real disasters, people hang on for days beneath the rubble in the hope of being found. Maybe there was a psychotropic element in The Mist...

Offline CraigLockley

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Knifesedge PBeM RPGs
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 09:55:59 AM »
Directors Cut of Alien 3. I love that film, don't know what all the fuss was about!
Craig
BFS Indie Press and RPG Reviews Editor

So many books, so little time...

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 07:16:28 PM »
We spent three nights running over the Bank Holiday weekend watching the extended version DVDs of The Lord of the Rings.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:57 PM »
Not exactly movies but I've finally got to watching the final series of Deep Space 9 which after seeing the new series of Battlestar Galactica has a fresh appeal.  I can't help thinking where BSG looted most of its new ideas. 

And Sisko is a better Adama.

Although series 7 seems like a desperate attempt to give Nicole DeBeor (Ezri Dax) some status before the franchise climaxes, (I would've liked to see how she could've developed in an eighth series - sadly her character debuted too late) it still pulls some powerful punches - while the Ferengi seem to run out of ideas, it's the holograms that steal the limelight.

Silly, very silly at times, but like all nonsense it displays some powerful insights about the human condition.

Superb theatre.  :)
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

ChrisT

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 09:12:57 PM »
Just watched The Mist - mostly brilliant, but they all seemed to lose their minds a bit quicky. In real disasters, people hang on for days beneath the rubble in the hope of being found. Maybe there was a psychotropic element in The Mist...

I did wonder about that - the "collapse of society" was a bit sudden; they were in a supermarket, surrounded by food, so the "three meals from disaster" theory wouldn't held true.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 09:52:59 PM »
We watched The Transporter 3 - enjoyed the previous films, but this one was distressingly similar to Mr Bean's Holiday! None of it made a bit of sense. And what was the bit in the petrol station all about?  :o