Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 57275 times)

Offline Colin (Black Abyss)

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Black Abyss
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 10:38:53 AM »
I got the Hammer Collection a while back and still working through that. 21 discs varying from the sublime to the ridiculous but all brimmed full of nostalgia ( not to mention heaving bosoms :o).

Martin Roberts

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »
I've got the Hammer Collection - Helen got it for me as a Christmas gift -  so far I've managed to watch two movies! :(

Offline Colin (Black Abyss)

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Black Abyss
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 09:36:21 AM »
Just reached The Vengeance Of She...oh dear!!

There's some strange choices on here, some classics not on it and some poor substitutes like the Vengeance.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 12:25:25 PM »
Good call on JCVD a remarkable film considering JC's usual fare ;D

JCVD is on telly next week

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 12:01:47 PM »
I watched JCVD last night on TV. It was amusing, yes, and very self referential. But after, I thought I could've spent the time being more productive. Glad I didn't buy the DVD.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 04:32:12 PM »
Watched "Let The Right One In" recently - thought it was ok with some nice touches, but the swimming pool ending was rather comical than horrific.

However, it knocked the socks off "The Happening" which I saw the other day. It's been a long while since I've seen such a badly scripted, poorly executed movie.

And tonight, "Diva". Gotta love the French!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 11:58:24 PM »
Been watching Mrs Theaker's birthday DVDs. Race to Witch Mountain was okay, but nothing spectacular. The kind of film I wouldn't bother writing a review of because I can't think of anything very interesting to say about it. And for some reason I thought the original was one of her favourite films as a kid, whereas in fact she never really liked it, so rather a dud present.

We'd hoped to follow it with The Day the Earth Stood Still to make it a double bill of alien visitor remakes, but she got poorly and had an early night, leaving me to finish God of War (the PS2 game).

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
Crank 2 - fun but not as good as the first one.

The Boat That Rocked - alright but overlong and weighed down by a pointless POV character.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
"The Baader-Meinhoff Complex" - excellent film about a very interesting part of history. Thoroughly thought-provoking.

ChrisT

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2009, 09:46:59 AM »
However, it knocked the socks off "The Happening" which I saw the other day. It's been a long while since I've seen such a badly scripted, poorly executed movie.

I'd go so far and call it fucking shit, but you're far more eloquent than me Andrew!

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
We watched "Moon" the other night: absolutely fantastic film. Very atmospheric, great writing and the models used for all the exterior shots are beautiful - it reminded me very strongly of "2001..", which I suppose was rather the point.

I'd been looking forward to this one for a while and it didn't disappoint at all - I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Leemanchee

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 03:30:02 PM »
I recently watched a DVD called 'The Killing Room'. The write up had huge potential.

Basically a group of people are locked into a room for a government experiment. Things turn ugly for the members and they are systematically picked off until only one remains.

Sounds good, but failed to go anywhere and the reasoning behind it all was good, but it never explored the god stuff. It also ended with a huh, moment, which is never a good thing.

At the cinema I was dragged to 'Valentine'. The new Hollywood celeb filled romance. It was bad, even by my girlfriends standards. She hated it too. Waste of rtime and pointless. I don't have anything good to say.

ElspethCooper

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 09:10:09 PM »
Quote from: LouM
We watched "Moon" the other night: absolutely fantastic film. Very atmospheric, great writing and the models used for all the exterior shots are beautiful - it reminded me very strongly of "2001..", which I suppose was rather the point.

I'd been looking forward to this one for a while and it didn't disappoint at all - I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Seconded.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tonight's fare was "Defiance". Too long, and even Daniel Craig's baby blues couldn't make me forgive his wandering accent and so-so performance, but I did learn a bit about the German occupation of Belarus, so the two hours and ten minutes wasn't entirely wasted.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
We bought a few months of Sky Player for the Xbox, which is really excellent, so we've watched a lot of movies lately.

Lesbian Vampire Killers was funnier than I expected.

Underworld 3 was pretty good fun, though I couldn't help laughing whenever I saw the castle guards. Who would choose to spend eternal life standing around in a corridor..? And I couldn't help adding Tony Blair dialogue to Michael Sheen's fight scenes. "You wanted weapons of mass destruction? I got 'em!"

The Final Destination - (we watched this on DVD) this series is the inverse of Star Trek - the even-numbered films are rubbish. This fourth instalment was ruined by the protagonist having visions of each death before it happened, meaning very little came as a surprise, and by 3D CGI effects that just looked lame on a 2D television.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:47:34 AM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »
I watched the British gangster movie Rise of the Footsoldier the other night on DVD. Must be one of the most violent films ever and makes The Hostel look pretty tame by comparison, especially when it is supposed to be based (whatever that means in film terms) on a true story.

David