Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 105174 times)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2010, 07:21:20 pm »
Finally got round to seeing "District 9" last night: what an interesting film. I wasn't sure whether it would live up to the hype, but as far as I was concerned it really did. One of the particularly clever things about it is that you can either buy into the social commentary or not: it doesn't feel forced - and after "Avatar", that's a huge relief! Think I'l be getting this one to add to our collection - I definitely want to see it again.

I watched it last night -- and was very impressed. The social commentary was obvious, of course (esp since it was set in South Africa, what with townships, etc). It was obvious that some kind of change would occur to the man when contaminated with the alien fluid. And it was a bit gung-ho at times. But overall, an intelliegnt SF movie. Will I feel the same of Avatar, once I get around to watching that?

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2010, 09:13:41 pm »

an intelliegnt SF movie. Will I feel the same of Avatar, once I get around to watching that?

Almost certainly not - Avatar's quite the opposite of an intelligent SF movie!

I went to see Iron Man 2 at the weekend, which I enjoyed a great deal. I'm not keen on the more introspective brand of superhero movie that's become increasingly prevalent in recent years, so it was great to see one which was just fun.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:10 am »
Finally got round to seeing "District 9" last night: what an interesting film. I wasn't sure whether it would live up to the hype, but as far as I was concerned it really did. One of the particularly clever things about it is that you can either buy into the social commentary or not: it doesn't feel forced - and after "Avatar", that's a huge relief! Think I'l be getting this one to add to our collection - I definitely want to see it again.

I watched it last night -- and was very impressed. The social commentary was obvious, of course (esp since it was set in South Africa, what with townships, etc). It was obvious that some kind of change would occur to the man when contaminated with the alien fluid. And it was a bit gung-ho at times. But overall, an intelliegnt SF movie. Will I feel the same of Avatar, once I get around to watching that?

Having seen both, I'm going to go out on a limb and say... no.  ;D

Blomkamp's short, "Alive in Joburg" - which developed into D9 from is online here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8, if you're interested. Worryingly, any of the interview pieces that don't specifically mention aliens are responses to questions asking how the interviewees feel about Zimbabwean & Nigerian refugees.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2010, 06:53:34 pm »

an intelliegnt SF movie. Will I feel the same of Avatar, once I get around to watching that?

I agree with your comment re Avatar

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2010, 03:56:47 pm »
I agree with your comment re Avatar

Another critical bashing for Avatar... (rated 5/10 on VideoVista):
http://www.videovista.net/reviews/june10/avatarb.html

I saw Agents secrets, an international spy movie starring Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci, that's watchable but very uneven - it's tone shifts awkwardly between sombre 'George Smiley' drama and 'James Bond' action thriller, albeit filtered through French politics and cultural angst.

Got a couple of French crime thrillers to see this month, both films with odd numbers-in-titles:
L.627 (Bertrand Tavernier)
MR 73 (Olivier Marchal)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:20:45 pm by Pigasus »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2010, 08:09:38 pm »
Have you seen OSS 117? I enjoyed it enough to want to watch the sequel.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »
Watched the Devils Backbone last night and looking forward to Pan's Labyrinth tonight - however, despite these being worthy and well made films  each night I sprawl on the couch and wish that I owned a huge digital screen and a copy of Starship Trooper.

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2010, 12:05:35 am »
I watched 'The Box' last night.

I haven't read the original Richard Matheson short story that it's based on but I do remember watching the Twilight Zone adaptation of it back in the day. Richard Kelly has expanded the original premise and taken it to some pretty far-out places in order to stretch it to a full-length feature. But nonetheless I really enjoyed it. Haunting, surreal, thought-provoking and downright weird.

If you 'got' Donnie Darko then it's definitely worth sticking this on your DVD list, otherwise it's probably going to be the cinematic equivalent of marmite for you. In my books it's easily good enough to redeem Kelly from the mess that was 'Southland Tales'.

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2010, 09:07:29 am »
Watched a DVD of The Girl Next Door last night. It was probably one of the most disturbing films I have ever watched. It was based on a novel by the American horror writer, Jack Ketchum, which was itself based on true events. It's the latter that most disturbs me. It's a sickeningly horrific account of a teenage girl's degradation, torture, rape and ultimately her death at the hands of her aunt, her sons and a group of local boys (and even some girls|) who the aunt seduces into being her accomplices. What perhaps disturbed me the most was the worrying suspicion that the film-makers sometimes veered dangerously close to voyeurism, though perhaps that was unavoidable given the subject matter. It's not a film I would care to watch twice.

One of the worst aspects was that the one sympathetic character, the film's narrator and one of the boy accomplices (albeit increasingly more unwilling) was so helpless much of the time to help the victim.

I have never seen a film like this before. It is true life horror that affected me far more than anything fictitious.

I doubt I will ever wish to read the book it's based on, though this probably does a disservice to Jack Ketchum, I don't know. It's certainly not a film you can watch and forget afterwards.

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2010, 12:34:14 pm »
Once I've convinced myself I've done enough tweaking, cutting and downright slashing to the short I'm working on, I shall sit back tonight and enjoy FORBIDDEN PLANET - from the 50th anniversary DVD set.
Mike Chinn

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2010, 11:13:21 pm »
Just watched the 90th birthday tribute to Ray Harryhausen on Newsnight - what a star!

...and something to add to your Blu-ray wish list:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/37170/first-details-jason-and-argonauts-hitting-blu-ray

Degsy

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:21:00 pm by Degsy »

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2010, 11:16:16 am »
Just watched the 90th birthday tribute to Ray Harryhausen on Newsnight - what a star!

...and something to add to your Blu-ray wish list:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/37170/first-details-jason-and-argonauts-hitting-blu-ray

Degsy

How wonderful. I must immediately put this on my list of favourites. An absolute classic of a film. I must have fought a million imaginary skeletons after I saw that as a wee lad

Offline Stephen Palmer

• Thaumaturge
  • author of novels
    • View Profile
    • http://stephenpalmersf.wordpress.com
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »
I watched 31 episodes of Shaun the Sheep over the weekend - does this count?

Offline Stephen Palmer

• Thaumaturge
  • author of novels
    • View Profile
    • http://stephenpalmersf.wordpress.com
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2010, 02:47:37 pm »
Spirited Away and Ponyo - on a bit of a Ghibli kick at the moment...

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2010, 03:10:29 pm »
I watched The Lovely Bones on Saturday night. I enjoyed it, though I sometimes felt it steered very carefully clear from the full horror of the protagonist's murder, perhaps too much of which was left to the imagination. The acting, though, was excellent, particularly the serial killer, who was chillingly creepy. The scene in which the younger sister breaks in his house to find evidence of what he's done is genuinely tense, and I could feel myself fearing for her - which shows how much I had become involved in the story. The heavenly bits were okay, but for me a bit overly pretty in a CGI way and didn't really convery any sense of the spiritual to me. I hardly felt like she was really on the cusp of entering Heaven. Nor did I feel the other victims of the killer she met had gone through the trauma of rape and murder. Still, it was an effective piece of filmmaking and kept me gripped to the end. Not in the same league as The Others or Stir of Echoes, but a cut above the average.