Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 102523 times)

Offline brendanconnell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • www.brendanconnell.wordpress.com
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 03:52:06 pm »
I liked Rise of the Footsoldier. Violent, but I think a lot of it was more psychological. Saving Private Ryan for instance (which I hated) was probably more violent. Rise of the Footsoldier just made you feel every punch/brick bat etc.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 07:56:34 pm »
'To Let' the Spanish Horror film. Scared me senseless...

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 09:36:24 pm »
I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (although the original Swedish title, Men Who Hate Women, is more apt). I haven't read any of the novels, so I was going into it blind, but it was a wonderful, tough thriller. A really good, spooky central mystery, and some excellent barren landscapes. Well worth catching at the cinema.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 07:16:46 am »
I watched Stag Night last week for the BFS, but I wasn't all that impressed. Review here on the BFS website.

Last night we watched Infestation, which was okay but nothing special. It was like an 80 minute version of a Stephen King mini-series. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy films that have a jokey tone without actually being funny, like this, Lake Placid, Slither, Eight Legged Freaks, etc. I enjoy them, but they never become my favourite films.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 06:22:19 am »
Red Cliff

Best film I've seen in ten years

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2010, 09:07:02 am »
Red Cliff

Best film I've seen in ten years

Hope you saw the longer epic version, Craig.
Glad to hear someone else likes this film!
My review's at:
http://www.videovista.net/reviews/dec09/redclif.html

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2010, 09:13:31 am »
Not a horror film - though parts of it would fit in one with ease - I just watched Michael Caine's latest movie on DVD, Harry Brown. Stunning. Brilliant. One of his best films ever.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2010, 11:52:54 am »
'Red Cliff is a wholly astonishing triumph of world cinema, as we might expect from the most expensive Chinese film yet produced'

Well said Tony! Great review. I've liked Chinese films since Zu Warriors and I'd always considered the first two thirds of Zu Warriors to be unmatchable. Red Cliff however is a very rare jewel - I watched it with my brother who is an 'Aguirra Wrath of God' man and rather hard to please. When it ended after hours of silence we both simultaneously said 'perfect' which I believe it is.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2010, 01:49:30 pm »
Not a horror film - though parts of it would fit in one with ease - I just watched Michael Caine's latest movie on DVD, Harry Brown. Stunning. Brilliant. One of his best films ever.

I gotta get that, too. I gather that Caine is back on tip top form.

Being well behind the times -- just watched the fourth Indiana Jones movie. Very silly in all corners and the weakest of the IJ series. Still, it was fun.

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2010, 02:35:28 pm »
Finally got round to seeing "District 9" last night: what an interesting film. I wasn't sure whether it would live up to the hype, but as far as I was concerned it really did. One of the particularly clever things about it is that you can either buy into the social commentary or not: it doesn't feel forced - and after "Avatar", that's a huge relief! Think I'l be getting this one to add to our collection - I definitely want to see it again.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2010, 03:40:32 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing Red Cliff - I'm a big fan of the Dynasty Warriors games, based on the same novel, so I'm already very fond of the characters.

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2010, 08:08:08 pm »
I saw the Clash of the Titans remake.

I must say, I quite enjoyed it. A special place is reserved in my heart for the 1981 original - my parents took me to the cinema to see it as a birthday treat. That's how old I am.

The remake - well, I really liked the theme of men rebelling against the gods. A very modern theme, and for that reason perhaps ill-fitting for a tale of Greek myths. But it made the character of Perseus more interesting. Refusing the gifts of Big Daddy Zeus, determined to make it on his own...the 'reluctant hero' is a refreshing change from the watery 'Wow! Zeus is my old man? Great! Is my hair girly enough?' portrayal by Harry Hamlin.

Just a shame Sam Worthington was so wooden in it.

Effects - yes, really good, but suffers too much from this extra fast-paced, overly-jumpy editing that's in vogue at the moment. And the Medusa scene suffered because of it. It should've been a lot more slower paced to build up the fear, rather than an action set piece.

The giant scorpions were great, but seeing them tamed at the end of the scene and used as desert-crossing mounts ruined it for me.

And the 3-D is crap. Added as an afterthought, or cynical ploy to get more bums on seats.

Still, huge fun.
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2010, 08:23:07 pm »
Sad to hear Sam Worthington's not too good in it: he was shaping up to be the beefcake of choice this summer (as far as I was concerned, anyway.) Boo.  :(

This was a 3D conversion, wasn't it? Purely, one assumes, based on Avatar's success at the cinema; cynical indeed. Was it just not very good as an effect, or did it actually detract from the film?

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2010, 08:34:06 pm »
Sad to hear Sam Worthington's not too good in it: he was shaping up to be the beefcake of choice this summer (as far as I was concerned, anyway.) Boo.  :(

This was a 3D conversion, wasn't it? Purely, one assumes, based on Avatar's success at the cinema; cynical indeed. Was it just not very good as an effect, or did it actually detract from the film?

Sam Worthington makes a good action hero, without a doubt. He was good in Avatar and Terminator: Salvation, but he just drifted through this.

I wouldn't say the 3-D detracted from the film as such, some parts did look pretty good. But as Avatar was my first ever 3-D film I expected COTT to have the same visual quality. I didn't know until afterwards that the 3-D was a conversion, I just thought the projectionist was pissed up. By the way, I've heard Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland has the same problem - loads of folk went in expecting the same breathtaking visual experience as Avatar, and came away disappointed.

Bandwagon, bandwagon. If Hollywood ain't careful, they're going to kill off the 3-D revolution.
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2010, 10:49:06 pm »
Just got back from watching Ironman 2.  Very good superhero film. Robert Downey Jnr was excellent as usual. As was Michael Rourke.

And worth sitting through the closing credits for the extra at the end.

David