Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 119613 times)

Offline Charlsie

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #270 on: November 18, 2013, 02:04:26 pm »
Watched Pacific Rim over the weekend. It was absolutely perfect for what it was. Del Toro's eye for design just makes it look so good.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #271 on: December 08, 2013, 10:40:45 pm »
oh boy Man of Steel was absolute rubbish - DC sucks, what was I thinking ... are they turning Soups into a dour Batman clone, or what ?

with the economy going the way it is do people want to sit through a couple of hours of war-torn doom and gloom with frequent references to pedagogic military scheming and truncated pissed-off mono-expression acting/scriptwriting ?

If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #272 on: December 08, 2013, 10:58:36 pm »
oh boy Man of Steel was absolute rubbish - DC sucks, what was I thinking ... are they turning Soups into a dour Batman clone, or what ?

with the economy going the way it is do people want to sit through a couple of hours of war-torn doom and gloom with frequent references to pedagogic military scheming and truncated pissed-off mono-expression acting/scriptwriting ?

I couldn't agree more. A dreadful movie. I thought the last two Superman films were bad enough. This eclipsed them!

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2014, 12:51:31 am »
Ghosts of Sherwood, aka Robin Hood: Ghosts of Sherwood.

SPOILER ALERT!!

This is the one in which Robin sells his soul to a witch and eventually (last 20 mins.) ends up a flesh eating zombie.

A truly terrible film (I enjoyed it because it was so bad, but Nadia thought it was so bad it was just bad, and she usually likes bad films.)

Not one I could recommend.

Dead Mine quite an effective small, scale horror from the maker Mum & Dad. There is something bad down there and this time it's due to experiments from the imperial Japanese from WW2 (no Nazis.) from HBOAsia & set in the Philippines.

Wayne.

Offline TimmyGriffin

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2014, 10:47:10 pm »
Last I saw Need for Speed. It is decent in my opinion.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #275 on: April 08, 2014, 12:46:55 am »
Dark Shadows - loved every minute ... had a similar charm to Stardust  8)

also saw The Winter Soldier  ;D

whilst I liked the Cold War-ish atmosphere quasi-noir feel to the movie I felt it was struggling to tell 2 very different stories and that this was really Nick Fury's movie rather than Cap's - would've liked to have seen Cap at his squeeze's bedside played out a bit longer and the issue of fallen comrades relegated to a row of mannequins moved to a different movie altogether  - both themes are strong and valid but hitched together in a marriage of convenience it became a bit messy
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Andy Hendry

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • A.W. Hendry
« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2014, 11:13:45 am »
We, the Family Strange, went to see Gravity recently and all really enjoyed it. Even X, the youngest of our number at 13, really liked it. Which gives me hope that I may be able to get her into some of the slower paced SF films like 2001/2010 etc...
I know that there were problems with the physics, debris orbiting Earth in the wrong direction and the like, and I do wish that something so basic wouldn't be messed up in a film with such a large budget. Seriously, why don't they just pay Neil Degrasse Tyson 10k to look over the storyboards?  ;D It was still amazing to watch such a well made, and emotionally powerful film, in a fantastical setting.

Probably won't be going to the cinema until after my final uni exams. The last ones are on the same day that Godzilla comes out which may be a sign that my final monstrous exams will be followed by monstrous big screen action. I just hope there aren't any scenes of Brian Cranston in his underpants....

Offline James Everington

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Scattershot Writing
« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2014, 06:06:51 pm »
I saw The Double over the weekend. Nice interesting take on the doppelgänger theme, with an interesting style. I enjoyed it a lot (my wife hated it though!)
-- James Everington
Scattershot Writing

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:59 pm »
The Borderlands

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2014, 06:17:40 pm »
Finally got to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and loved it to bits. So much adventure, heart, humour and spectacle - and it all looked so solid, real and crunchy. Great to see the Black Widow have such a significant role, which I think did a lot to help keep our daughters interested, and I can't wait to see what effect it has on tonight's episode of Agents of Shield.

Offline Andy Hendry

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • A.W. Hendry
« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2014, 07:26:09 am »
What episode is Agents of SHIELD up to in Britain? I tend to watch it as it comes out in the US. I think I'm a couple of episodes ahead of the UK and it seems like the events of Winter Soldier have a huge effect on the show, much bigger than the effects of the last Thor movie. I've not seen Winter Soldier yet and kinda wish I had watched it before AoS. That show is starting to get really good now, the last 3-4 episodes have really upped its game from being a little bit 'meh' to the point where I can't wait for the next episode to air. :D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2014, 08:52:29 am »
Last night's episode was "Turn Turn Turn", which happens at the same time as The Winter Soldier.

We watched The Dark World on DVD just before watching the Agents of Shield episode with Lorelei and Sif, and I loved how - without blowing any spoilers - having watched The Dark World subtly changed the meaning of that episode.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2014, 06:24:05 pm »
Attack of The Beast Creatures

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 30, 2014, 12:05:56 pm »
Bride of The Gorilla

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 01, 2014, 03:15:57 pm »
47 Ronin.