Author Topic: NEWS: New Publisher with New Ryhs Hughes Novel  (Read 4404 times)

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Experts’ Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
NEWS: New Publisher with New Ryhs Hughes Novel
« on: May 19, 2009, 03:22:35 AM »
— M E D I A   R E L E A S E —

Early Friday morning, in a scene evoking the announcement of the Oscar® Nomination, the new publishing house Atomic Fez Publishing was announced by its proprietor, Ian Alexander Martin.

As the sky above him filled with flocks of doves and Canada Geese, Mr. Martin publicly confirmed the existence of Atomic Fez, admitting it was "one of the worst-kept secrets in the Small Press Community of late". No doubt responding to the frequent rumours of his return to the publishing game, he was last heard from following the demise late last year of the UK-based firm Humdrumming, Ltd., which had been under his control since early spring of that year after founding publisher Guy Adams handed him the reins due to his growing number of professional writing commitments.

His new venture, Mr. Martin announced, would be "a Small Press House with Large Press notions of inclusivity." Pointing out the people are rarely only "readers of only one variety of fiction, and Atomic Fez proposes to make available as many sorts of books as time and the company ledgers permits." When asked to explain what he was babbling about, he suddenly resembled a sidewalk proselytiser, declaring that he felt that "too often things about books are made QUITE IMPORTANT and VERY SERIOUS INDEED, casting aside anything which might be seen as 'enjoyable'", explaining that "the principle driving force behind certain titles being selected is simple: Books Are Fun Again!"

As well as providing books in the traditional format — described by Mr. Martin as "the 'dead tree' variety of books using ink, paper, and bits of glue" — Atomic Fez will be also be endeavouring to tap into the latest of modern technology making available all its titles in the 'electronic book' format. Explaining this bi-formatted, pincer-movement approach to publishing, he explained that "the concept that either form [of publishing format] is a 'bad' way of getting a story into the hands of a reader is anathema to a logical mind. If you hate e-books, we have paper ones for you. If you hate paper ones, we have 'e-books 'to tempt you instead. Either way, we want your money. In the future," he continued, "it is hoped that both forms [of book] can happily exist side-by-side as they have individual strengths for differing sorts of readers. After all, both forms are equally damaged when dropped in a tub full of hot water."

Sources close to the company — requesting anonymity due to threatened punishment using hi-fidelity recordings of Mrs. Elva Miller and / or Sebastian Cabot — stated that the first title to be released by the Publisher would be a brand-new novel by the noted Welsh writer Rhys Hughes, which would likely be released early in Q3 to coincide with the British Fantasy Society's FantasyCon 2009 in mid-September. The book's contents are being edited now, with final text to be established and at the printers by the start of July. While the source was unable to provide an exact price, they did allow that "something reasonable around the twenty-five dollar mark is what we're looking at."

Further titles are entirely unconfirmed and the nature of their contents isn't know, but Mr. Martin is 'planning something' for World HorrorCon in South England's Brighton, and information has leaked out regarding works from three more British authors being launched at that event in March 2010; with possibly more titles expected in the autumn of the same year, this time including writers from the Dominion of Canada.

Law Enforcement Organisations did not respond to requests for comment, saying they were "very busy getting organised to deal with the crowds expected to take to the streets with hazardous materials."
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline Screaming Dreams

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Screaming Dreams
Re: NEWS: New Publisher with New Ryhs Hughes Novel
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:05:25 PM »
Being one of the lucky people who has already seen two of the up-coming Atomic Fez manuscripts, I can reveal that you lucky readers are in for a treat with the work to be published by this new atomic-powered press! It's fantastic to see a new publisher brave enough to come forward during these difficult economic times and I wish Ian all the best with his new press. I'm sure you'll all give him plenty of support (and your money, with any luck!) so keep watching this exciting new venture as it develops.

Steve

Offline iamacanadian

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »
Thanks for the support, Steve; as well as for your artistic contributions.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »
Looks very exciting - and what a great way to start.

Offline iamacanadian

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 07:07:16 AM »
Looks very exciting - and what a great way to start.

Indeed it is. I couldn't be happier.

Well, okay, if Rhys was wiling to do the book for free, that would make me happier, but…

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:15:35 AM »
I'm reading the Eibonvale edition of The Smell of Telescopes at the moment. It's like a collaboration between Fozzie Bear and Borges... Brilliant stuff, though I should maybe have started with one of his shorter books. It's a bit like eating too many chocolates at once.

Offline iamacanadian

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »
I'm reading the Eibonvale edition of The Smell of Telescopes at the moment. It's like a collaboration between Fozzie Bear and Borges... Brilliant stuff, though I should maybe have started with one of his shorter books. It's a bit like eating too many chocolates at once.

I know the feeling. I read The Crystal Cosmos (PS, 2007) followed by The Post Modern Mariner (Screaming Dreams, 2008), and then dove into editing Twisthorn Bellow. Would you believe it, he starts to make more sense after you read a few large chunks of his writing in different volumes that inter-connect. No, I assure you!

He's one of the true geniuses around, really. Not for everyone, I'll grant you. Still, a brilliant story-teller.

ChrisT

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 08:45:42 PM »
Well, okay, if Rhys was wiling to do the book for free, that would make me happier, but…

Bloody authors, expecting to be paid... what about us, poor editors?

Looking forward to the book, Ian.  ;D

Offline iamacanadian

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »
Thanks Chris. I appreciate the love.