Author Topic: Heavy Metal  (Read 9869 times)

belilah

Heavy Metal
« on: March 19, 2004, 09:48:00 pm »
What do you think about Heavy Metal magazine?

I think its cool, but theres too much erotic pinups. OK, I like naked ladies, but theres really to many naked-chick covers and stuff.

Offline James

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jamesryman.com/
Heavy Metal
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 09:39:44 pm »
I may be biased as I've had work in there :D  but I've always liked it. It is definitley for an older audience, but I would guess that most people picking it up know what to expect.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 07:36:05 pm »
Heavy Metal always felt more like a mag. for teenage boys. I like metal but it does become cliched to the point of parody. Spinal Tap was too believable. The mag. is ok, but plays to the cliche too much IMHO.

Wayne.

Offline James

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 03:42:13 am »
Heh, I'm 33 but menatally still probably in my teens :D

belilah

Heavy Metal
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 10:51:31 pm »
I love HM mag, dont get me wrong, its great. But you know, as much as I love naked chicks, Im just tired of those covers and all the females in the mag. It gets boring. Fantasy and scifi and horror field is so much larger than just a pair of boobs. So I agree, its teenage mag playing with puberty dreams. Which is good in right doses.

BTW, love your stuff, James.

Offline James

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 06:51:48 pm »
I agree. If you go to the HM website they have covers of past issues in the corner of the page. A new one appears every time the page refreshes. Some of the older covers I think are outstanding, really different and interesting. I do understand the publishers choice though. Sex sells I guess.

Thanks for your kind words Belilah. I actually just got my copy of the latest Dungeon magazine which I did a bit of work for. I did some illos for the Dark Sun setting which was excellent fun :D

belilah

Heavy Metal
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 10:54:33 pm »
Sex sells, I agree.

Your art is really great. I saw your picts somewhere on the web before. I like your twisted evil look on monster's faces. Scarry smiling. And very nice colors.
Hey, did you ever do a comic?

Offline James

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 12:10:17 am »
No comic art as yet. I have an artist/writer friend who sent a script over to me recently though. I've been thinking about having a go at comics for a while, so I'm planning  on taking a stab at this script and see what happens. I'm about to move back to England from L.A. so it's been on the back burner until I'm settled back home.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 12:19:51 am »
Do you have any links to your work James?

The sex stuff does sell it's true. I remember the only good review for a horror Barry Norman did was for the first Elvira flick. I wonder what he saw in it.  :wink:

Wayne.

belilah

Heavy Metal
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 12:23:27 am »
http://www.jamesryman.com/
Good luck with comic. But you're good, you don't need luck.  :D

Back to England? Isn't LA better to live for an artist - you know, comic cons, many magazines, comics, .... there's also a lot of big companies and publishers around. I've seen a lot of writers or artists move to LA.
And its always raining here in UK.   :P
But, these are personal questions... I wish you a lot of luck with moving - thats not easy thing to do.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 12:26:55 am »
Cheers for the link Belilah.

Your right about the rain.

James, It's cold and wet here in down town Manchester. Is it really that bad there.

Wayne.

Offline James

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 02:50:55 am »
Heh, It's not bad here at all :)  I came here to work in video games and I've stayed for seven and a half years. I'm now freelancing as an illustrator full time and luckily I can pretty much do that from anywhere, particularly as I deliver all of my work digitally. My wife and I both miss family, and we actually miss England too!  We do plan on returning for conventions and the like though. The San Diego Comic Con is awesome, I'll miss it this year but I hope to attend '05. Hopefully do Gen Con Indy too at some point.

There are certainly a lot of companies/publishers out here, but frankly I've met very few of the people I work with in person. All buisness is conducted via e-mail. And since we decided to move home I've been surfing around to see what's going on in the U.K. That's how I found this forum. I'm looking forward to hopefully working with some British publishers in the coming years.

I'm looking forward to visiting Manchester actually. The Art Gallery there has some work I really want to see.

James.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 09:19:30 pm »
Well I'm a fan [and so is my other half] James.

In Manchester they have extended the main gallery on Mosley St. and we can now see more of the main collection. The new section is mainly the more modern stuff which they have hidden it for too long. The Cornerhouse is always worth a look and so is the more major Whitworth Gallery down Oxford Road near the Hospital(s) [The Royal Infirmary, St. Mary and the Eye hospital all connect. The Eye Hospital is actually on Nelson St. Even the town planners in Manchester have a sick sense of humour.]. There is the New Lowry at Salford Quays, just across the cut from the new War Museum. Still my favourite Museum is the Museum of Science and Industry and most of it is now free. My dad actually brought some of the heavy machinery/steam engines by road to the museum.

Well have fun and hope you enjoy our sunny climes.  :wink:

Nice to have you back. I would try Games Workshop, I think they would love your work James.

Wayne.

Offline James

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 01:03:56 am »
Thanks for the info Wayne. It looks like I shall be busy when I make my way up to your neck of the woods :)

Funny you should mention Games Workshop. I'm just doing my first assignment for a couple of their Collectible Card Games. I'm getting to paint one of the mean looking Black Orcs :D

James.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 04:51:51 pm »
What sort of format are the card games do you know?

I used to play Magic, in fact my other half keeps badgering me to play. The trouble is she is a bad loser.  :twisted:

Wayne.