Author Topic: Surface  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Tony Williams

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Home page
Surface
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:08:51 am »
I thought I'd give this US TV adventure series, now being shown on UK TV, a spin to see how it went. The start is not that unusual mysterious events at sea, with blurred or fragmentary sightings of sea monsters, ranging from small newly-hatched ones to giant leviathans. They appear to be emerging from caverns deep under the ocean floor.

The suspense is well maintained in the first episode, as a varied group of people (some of whom seem to have some idea of what's happening) try to keep up with developments. It is less hysterical (and bloody) than many such stories, and the writers evidently made use of the considerable length (fifteen episodes) to develop the plot slowly while establishing the characters. In the next couple of episodes it seemed to be settling down into a fairly routine cover-up conspiracy plot, and sadly became less and less credible. I can suspend disbelief sufficiently to accept monsters emerging from the deep, but ones which can live in magma? At that point I stopped watching.

(An extract from my SFF blog)

Anthony G Williams homepage and SFF blog