Author Topic: Yet another reason the internet leaves a bad taste in my mouth...  (Read 52574 times)

benedictjjones

Re: Yet another reason the internet leaves a bad taste in my mouth...
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2009, 10:59:53 am »
bah - kept my mouth shut on this on various forums. personally i enjoyed Bull Running For Girls but, again personally, thought Paul Meloy should have won the award HOWEVER that's horses for courses, I don't have a problem with Ally winning at all it just means more people thoguht hers was better. However I do have a problem with people attacking the vault. The arguement last year was about the direction of the Vault and was all sorted it was a slightly different arguement to that which some people had with Ally which was more to do with her constant self promo posts. Thanks to the vault i've discovered a lot of books i might otherwise not have read.  Everyone is allowed their opinion obviously but why the attack on people who voice their opinions rather than on their actual arguements? Just because someone disagrees with you it doesn't make them juevinile or a pig etc etc.  If we didn't voice when we disagreed with something or when we thoguht a book was rubbish what kind of 'forum' would any of these be??  I do feel it true that too many people (more on the BFS forum than the Vault) feel the need to watch what they say and clap each other on the back in the hope that they'll get the same treatment in the future for what theyve done for people rather than the quality of their work.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2009, 11:31:35 am »
I do feel it true that too many people (more on the BFS forum than the Vault) feel the need to watch what they say and clap each other on the back in the hope that they'll get the same treatment in the future for what theyve done for people rather than the quality of their work.

Like Johnny's earlier comment about people tiptoeing around each other in the BFS forums, this seems a bit odd to me, because until the last couple of weeks, and for most of the last couple of years, the BFS forums have been deathly quiet! Except for the books read thread, Tony's reviews, and the odd promotional post, there's hardly been anyone here.

So who's watching what they say, and who is clapping each other on the back? Far from tiptoeing around, I feel like I've spent a year striding through huge empty halls, talking to myself and listening to the echoes!  :)

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2009, 01:32:34 pm »
Meanwhile, I just thought I'd mention that this all gives a bit of an 'unapproachable' impression to new members (at least that's how I feel but I still joined the forum anyway).

Too right! I may be childish and a juvenile pig but I surely didn't expect atomic levels of sarcasm because I foolishly forgot that more than one person may have the same surname!

Hi Franklin - that was just one person's comments, which were presumably in the heat of the moment. I know you from several boards and I know you're a good guy. Honestly, this board isn't normally like this! In fact, it's usually dead quiet.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline FranklinMarsh

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2009, 02:02:11 pm »
Des, Caroline

Thank you.

As I said elsewhere, just me being a bit precious.

I'll move swiftly on....

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2009, 04:21:04 pm »
Come to think of it, Paul, it's rather like a shrine. Where's the altar?

The bar at Fantasycon!  :D

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2009, 08:25:19 pm »
Just wanted to say that I'm happy Ellen Datlow gave me 6 Honourable Mentions for Bull Running for Girls, one of which - The Bone Grinder - is mentioned in her anthology, Best of Horror - Year One.

Bird, Allyson “The Bone Grinder,” Bull Running for Girls.
Bird, Allyson “Bull Running,” Ibid.
Bird, Allyson “The Caul Bearer,” Ibid.
Bird, Allyson “The Conical Witch,” Ibid.
Bird, Allyson “Hunter’s Moon,” Ibid.
Bird, Allyson “In the Hall of the Mountain King,” Ibid.

Congrats to members and friends of the BFS who found their way onto the list too!

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2009, 11:09:10 pm »
Well done Ally!

- and well done to Simon Bestwick whose novella "The Narrows" (originally published in http://www.pendragonpress.net/books/fade2grey/) is included in Datlow's anthology line-up, as well as his other novella, "The School House" from the BFS's own Houses on the Borderland,  being one of the fifty honourable mentioned listed at the back of the book.

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Experts’ Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:34 pm »
Hooray all! A damned good thing to be proud of! Hoorah!

I look forward to reading my copy when it arrives, along with the Probert and McMahon books recently released by Screaming Dreams.

…there, see how easy that is, everyone?
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

DFL

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2009, 08:23:29 am »
I'm also looking forward to reading 'ibid'.  ;)

Offline sandranorval

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Sandra Norval
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2009, 05:23:51 pm »
Hearty congratulations to all those listed! Well done!
Sandra Norval

Chapter One of Libertine available at www.sandranorval.co.uk
Also find me on facebook and twitter (@sandranorval and @enterthetwixt)