Author Topic: Membership Check Online  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Rafala

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Membership Check Online
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »
Is there any way to check online to see when your membership is up for renewal?

Since I haven't seen a renewal email notice yet, I am trying to check and see when I'm due.

If there isn't a way to check online, I think it would be a great idea. It would save the BFS on having to reply to emails--or send renewal reminders.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Membership Check Online
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:30:36 am »
There isn't, sorry - it's a nice idea, but tricky administratively. We will be looking at our renewals procedure, though, to improve things.

Email secretary@britishfantasysociety.org to ask about your current status.

Offline Rafala

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 05:16:10 pm »
Could you tell me if my membership has lapsed?

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:32:30 pm »
I took out my membership online last year so when I needed to jog my memory about my own renewal date I simply checked back through my credit card receipts.

The problem of course is if you forget and then renew a few weeks after a mailing then you could end up not getting your full money's worth.

I assume that you're not entitled to backdate your membership or have any 'days of grace'?

It might help reduce the number of lapsing members if you had the option of automatically renewing by direct debit - like say a magazine subscription.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:38:39 pm by Degsy »

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 08:47:07 pm »
Very good point! Do you mean opting out? That worked very well for me with a mag subscription, Degsy. Degsy? Sorry it is just difficult to have a conversation if you don't use your real name. Just me.

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:29:25 pm »
Hi Ally.

Don't worry, it's not a dodgy pseudonym. I'm Derek, but on da street with my homies they call me Degsy.  ;D

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:27:59 am »
Fair enough. I've never had a nickname and the more I say it... Degsy is sort of growing on me. Even so ...you are still so right about the mag subscript. :)

Offline Degsy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 01:12:17 am »
Derek, Degsy - anything except 'Del-Boy'!

As regards membership renewals, I think a lot of people just let themselves lapse without thinking.   

Having a rolling membership by direct-debit with an 'opt-out' option would cut out the hassle of remembering when to renew.

For example, I think my CAMRA membership works like this.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 08:18:19 am »
I've made a note of that suggestion, Degsy - it's definitely something we should do if possible.

Rafala, email secretary@britishfantasysociety.org to ask about your membership status - or look at the envelope of your mailing, which'll have the expiry date on it. If this would have been your last mailing, there should have been a renewal notice of some kind in there. If none of that helps, you could always just just pay for another year here and your membership will be extended for a year from whenever it was due to expire.  :)