Author Topic: World Horror Convention 2010, Brighton  (Read 30588 times)

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: World Horror Convention 2010, Brighton
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2010, 05:38:47 pm »
I've been to a couple of conventions where I didn't know anyone and it can appear to be quite daunting. Anyone feeling shy or overwhelmed is welcome to come up to my Tartarus Press table in the dealers room - I'll be standing behind it for four days and will be happy to talk to anyone!

Ah, won't they give you a chair? The meanies...

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 07:44:20 pm »
I'm sure I'll be shy and overwhelmed, Ray - I generally am. But you won't try and sell me any books if I do come and talk to you will you, you naughty man?  :o
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Stephen Bacon

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • www.stephenbacon.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 09:21:40 pm »
I'm attending on my own, too. The first time I went to a convention was Fantasycon several years ago. I found it a bit daunting in the bar (everybody seemed to be deep in conversation with each other), but the dealer room was the place to be. Loads of eager people willing to chat and be friendly. Nobod really gives a toss about anything - you won't look odd being on your own.

Offline tartarusrussell

• Ray Russell - Tartarus Press
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Tartarus Press
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2010, 08:36:59 am »
Well, I won't try and dissuade anybody from buying a book or two, but over the four days I am rather hoping to talk to people about a few things other than Tartarus Press  :)

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Experts’ Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2010, 06:20:41 pm »
Well, I won't try and dissuade anybody from buying a book or two, but over the four days I am rather hoping to talk to people about a few things other than Tartarus Press  :)

Yes, for instance, he'll be talking about how incredibly affordable, colourful and desirable all of the Atomic Fez Publishing books are!

…or perhaps not.
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline tartarusrussell

• Ray Russell - Tartarus Press
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Tartarus Press
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2010, 07:56:55 pm »

Yes, for instance, he'll be talking about how incredibly affordable, colourful and desirable all of the Atomic Fez Publishing books are!

…or perhaps not.

Ian - I feel very strongly that all the small presses should support each other so yes, I'd recommend people check out your books too  :)  We've lost a few small presses in the last couple of years, which is a shame. I reckon we all need a thriving, vibrant small press scene with us all publishing a range of books.

It looks like the WHC is going to see the launch of a heck of a lot of new titles this year, which is great news (if a little hard on the wallet.)

All the best

Ray

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2010, 11:12:36 am »
I'm going to have to bring an empty suitcase with me, aren't I? It feels like it's going to be a Big Book-Buying sort of event...  ;D

Offline iamacanadian

• Canadian, but not un-cultured!
  • Thaumaturge
  • Selecting Only the Finest Experts’ Made-Up Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Fez Publishing
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2010, 02:53:54 am »

…or perhaps not.

Ian - I feel very strongly that all the small presses should support each other so yes, I'd recommend people check out your books too  :)  We've lost a few small presses in the last couple of years, which is a shame. I reckon we all need a thriving, vibrant small press scene with us all publishing a range of books.

It looks like the WHC is going to see the launch of a heck of a lot of new titles this year, which is great news (if a little hard on the wallet.)

I feel the same way, Ray. Pete Crowther always says, and quite rightly, that good-natured competition among any people is the best way to keep everyone working harder to be the best that they can be. Eventually, some sadly try too hard and those are the ones we lose. A shame, really.

Ash Tree Press is launching four books (possibly more, I think), PS is doing a launch of a couple of titles as well as their Poetry imprint, Screaming Dreams is launching three, Pendragon is doing the same number I believe… Yes: lots of money and luggage space to lug it all home afterwards.
Ian Alexander Martin; Proprietor, Atomic Fez Publishing

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2010, 08:02:52 am »
*Jumps up waving*

Telos has a couple of new titles as well :)

And I agree, there are so many good looking books these days that it can get very hard on the wallet indeed. We need competition to keep innovating and keep the good books and good ideas coming. It also keeps us all on our toes, knowing that we have to keep trying to improve.

See you all at the event!
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk

ChrisT

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:25 pm »
If anyone wishes to haggle at the Pendragon table, then I'm open to offers.

No shekels, though;D

Offline Matthew Fryer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Matthew Fryer - The Hellforge
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2010, 01:39:38 am »
Really starting to twitch that I can't make it now. Dagnabbit.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2010, 10:53:36 am »
A little about the Stokers and what it means to the writers...

http://darkwolfsfantasyreviews.blogspot.com/2010/03/2-questions-round-2009-bram-stoker.html

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2010, 08:20:14 pm »
Although I am an Active member of the HWA, this will be the second year running that I won't be voting for anything in the Stoker Awards - simply because I haven't read any of the nominations.

I did put forward a number of recommendations, but none got more than one other member, usually Ellen Datlow, to nominate them too. Perhaps because those I recommended were either in British publications or, in one case, Romanian. The finalists are predominantly American, many from the smaller presses.

David

ChrisT

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2010, 08:28:37 pm »
I have Gene O'Neill's collection, but not read - purely on the strength of his Prime collection a few years ago, hope he wins. Apart from that, not read any of the short-list.

Perhaps this highlights the difficulty in the US authors reaching the UK market?

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2010, 09:19:06 am »
I have Gene O'Neill's collection, but not read - purely on the strength of his Prime collection a few years ago, hope he wins. Apart from that, not read any of the short-list.

Perhaps this highlights the difficulty in the US authors reaching the UK market?

There would, also, seem to be a difficulty in UK authors reaching the Stoker lists unless they get published in the US. Very few UK or non-US publishers get much of a look in. Inevitable really, as the HWA, even though it changed the "A" from America to Association some years ago, is still overwhelmingly a US dominated organisation.

David