Author Topic: World Horror Convention 2010, Brighton  (Read 29558 times)

Offline Cate Gardner

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Cate Gardner
Re: World Horror Convention 2010, Brighton
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:31 am »
Gorgeous picture, Des. Good to hear everyone had a good time. A little bit jealous that I wasn't there.

Offline Natt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
    • In The Gloaming Podcasts
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2010, 10:23:23 am »
Thank you, David! We had a great time!

Now to convince Guy to get us to perform it at Fantasycon...

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2010, 01:47:34 pm »
It was a superbly run conference. Thanks to everyone who made it happen. Great fun and it'll take about a year to recover.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2010, 03:57:18 pm »
Des, I'm miffed I didn't get to see the starlings' acrobatic display. Jan mentioned them and when I finally got to a window they'd all vanished. Birds!

Offline Shaun Jeffrey

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shaunjeffrey.com
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2010, 07:39:13 pm »
Des, I'm miffed I didn't get to see the starlings' acrobatic display. Jan mentioned them and when I finally got to a window they'd all vanished. Birds!

You're welcome to come sit in my house and watch them out of the window. Just don't blame me when your car's covered in bird muck!  >:(
The Kult

People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill.

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2010, 12:03:45 pm »
One of the unexpected highlights for me was when the thunder broke in the sky. An ominous feeling slunk into the atmosphere. Me and my brother got on the lift shortly afterward and were joined by a large silent man wearing a tradesman 's outfit and carrying a power drill. We were on the second floor but the lift doors closed to the words 'going down'...

Pelagon

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2010, 02:30:31 pm »
What an amazing convention! Pitch Black was an interesting experience - just got to wait for all those offers to roll in - hah! There is a gallery on my website ( www.garysstrangeworld.com ). There's a few more piccies to go on yet. I've put a link on the homepage so you don't have to trawl through my banal bantering.

James Herbert was very intuiging with his 'revelations'. I spent far too much on books - now I've just got to find the time to read them.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:34:06 pm by Pelagon »

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2010, 09:22:12 pm »
It was my first convention, but both me and the other half had a great time. Lots on - Reggie Oliver's shows were terrific - and plenty of good, friendly people. A really great experience. A rather alarming amount of free wine kicking about as well...

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2010, 06:47:53 pm »
It was my first convention, but both me and the other half had a great time. Lots on - Reggie Oliver's shows were terrific - and plenty of good, friendly people. A really great experience. A rather alarming amount of free wine kicking about as well...

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Of course, you can't be a REAL fantasy/horror/SF fan until you've drunk every drop of booze available, and then some more...

Offline John Forth

• Whirlpool
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2010, 06:20:27 pm »

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Of course, you can't be a REAL fantasy/horror/SF fan until you've drunk every drop of booze available, and then some more...

Hah - maybe at FantasyCon then.

Offline allybird

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • Allyson Bird website
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2010, 06:55:40 pm »
Convention report and comments.....

http://www.whc2010.org/photos01.html

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2010, 12:09:38 am »
With lots of nice photos  ;)

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2010, 06:02:02 am »
'The Harry Preston and Victoria rooms, was demolished' - very sad indictment of modern society. The rooms were full of character (and characters). At least the whc was a good funeral pyre.

I'd like to say again that  I've been to many large scale events as a musician (none as a writer) and this was a superbly run event from start to finish. Couldn't fault it except perhaps an overabundance of great things to do and see ( and I heard a rumour that the chips were a bit dried out on Brighton pier but i didn't have any) Big congratulations to all those who were instrumental in making it happen. You did a fantastic job.

ChrisT

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2010, 07:35:11 am »
'The Harry Preston and Victoria rooms, was demolished' - very sad indictment of modern society. The rooms were full of character (and characters). At least the whc was a good funeral pyre.

Aye, that was a surprise to read...

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2010, 08:30:35 am »
It was a surprise to me to read that these rooms had been demolished. If the hotel needed anything, it was more space for residents, not less. And a complete revamp of the existing bedrooms, which looked tired at the very least. Much though I enjoyed the convention, most of this came about because of the superb organisational skills of its committee and team of helpers. The hotel bedrooms in particular could have done with a good cleaning. The carpet in mine was filthy. A beige kind of colour to start with, it was streaked with what looked like trodden-in makeup - years of it.

On another note, I hope the Fantasycon banquet this year is better than the Stoker banquet at the WHC. I have never eaten - or tried to eat - worse fish and chips in my life. For 32, the three course farce was disgusting. Mind you, I can't for the life of me ever remember going to a banquet at a convention that was worth even a third the price paid or memorable for anything except how bad the food was. Perhaps it's an inevitability.

I notice this years banquet at Fantasycon is a staggering 40.  ???

David