Author Topic: World Horror Convention 2010, Brighton  (Read 30168 times)

ChrisT

Re: World Horror Convention 2010, Brighton
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2010, 10:14:09 am »
Saturday 27th March, 11-12am in Bar Rouge

See you there?

I think I can crawl out of bed...

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »
In a vast publicity campaign extending to this post I announce that I can bring a few copies of my deathless classic 'School: The Seventh Silence' termed a' brilliant first novel' by Mike Glyer chairperson of the world fantasy con: an optimistic message that largely fell on deaf ears. If you want one please let me know because my airplane  luggage will consist of my extra y's, a bottle of whisky and a book. I'm prepared even to sign the book and if pressed will make a small unique drawing on your arm, tee-shirt or the inside of the cover if you bring a pen or pencil. This will only cost you about 25 quid and a drink at the bar. Discounts will be offered to anyone who looks more impoverished than me or can tell me  a joke I haven't heard. But I warn you, I am a termagant when it comes to humour and I must display at least a quirk of the lower lip before the offer is validated.

email contact@craigherbertson.com

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2010, 08:35:09 pm »
Look forward to seeing you, Craig, especially as a fellow contributor to the Pan Books of Horror.

David

Offline Craig Herbertson

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • craigherbertson.com
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2010, 09:11:25 pm »
It will be a real pleasure David. We must get you over to ours on one of your trips.

Craig

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2010, 08:21:27 am »
Thanks, Craig. We do plan to stop over somewhere in Germany the next time we drive to Bulgaria sometime this year.

David

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2010, 05:17:37 pm »

Sod the strike, what about the bloody parking?  Where in hell does one park in Brighton without going totally bankrupt?

Why has no one invented teleportation yet?  It's the only sensible option...  ;D

Sorry, Jen -- you'll have to pay for car parking (like me). The hotel doesn't have its own car park. Wonder if they have a discount arrangement...
[/quote]

Anyone know of any back streets where I can park without annoying any residents? I just got my car out of dry dock today and it left a gaping hole in the bank balance - I don't want to feed the meter machines with money better spent on booze'n'books! ;)
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

Offline Steppedonwolf

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.archivesofpain.com
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2010, 03:13:20 am »
Ah, WHC 2010. A fantastic experience - loved it! Great to meet all the authors, get books signed and find that the Pitch Black session on Thursday wasn't going to be the Dragons' Den I thought it would be...the editors and agents were so damn nice. Even if the project wasn't right for them they spent time with you, talking about your work and showing real interest. One agent was interested in my novel and took the first three chapters away. Two of the small presses were also intrigued, another one I met later when talking to Simon Maginn in Smoker's Corner and I was fortunate enough to have one of the cover sheets and a synopsis with me. It's a shame Snowbooks wern't there, though. I'd love to have been able to have a chat with them.

The Friday night party at the Horace Bar on the pier was fantastic. Free bar all night - that's right, you didn't have to put your hand in your pocket once! Shame I lost my camera afterwards, but that's my own fault.

BTW - if anyone comes across a Sony cybershot DSC-P200 with pics of the convention on the memory stick please let me know. There's a video of my godson trying to say his first word, as well as snaps of the recent archery club make&mend session, so I'm gutted that I lost it. My fault for being drunk, though. (Hangs head in shame.)

Still, nice to know I wasn't the only alcoholic chainsmoker there... ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:18:22 am by Steppedonwolf »
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero

http://www.archivesofpain.com

DFL

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2010, 02:30:01 pm »
Thanks to everyone I met who made it such an enjoyable occasion.

One alternate world type memory was being on the pier during an amazing sunset through the wreck of the other pier and over the sea front - with clouds of starlings (murmurations) wheeling above me and the carousels and massive crane-like rides.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:40:13 pm by DFL »

Offline Matthew Fryer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Matthew Fryer - The Hellforge
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2010, 05:09:01 pm »
Beautiful picture Des.
I expected the first picture I saw of the weekend to be of drunken horror writers on the ghost train, but that is so much more  ;D

Offline LouM

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Lou Morgan
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2010, 08:32:46 pm »
Ah, the ghost train. Everyone kept telling me it was terrifying, so when I finally went on it, I laughed so hard I cried.  :D

I cannot remember the last time I had so much fun in one weekend. It was absolutely fantastic, and I've come back with some wonderful memories. Thank you to everyone who was so friendly (which, to be honest, was pretty much everybody I met) and made my first Con such an experience. I feel like I made some really good friends, and you're going to need some seriously big bouncers if you're going to try and keep me away from Fantasycon...

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:12 pm »
Three brief posts about WHC on my blog...
http://pigasuspress.blogspot.com/

A great con!
 ;D

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2010, 10:18:08 pm »
I can certainly say that this year's WHC in Brighton was one of the very best conventions I have ever attended, and much credit must go to the organisers and to everyone who participated in the various activities to make it as outstandingly good as it was, even though the hotel itself was somewhat more rundown than I expected. Perhaps that helped the atmosphere, though, especially with its warren of passages and seemingly endless series of rooms.

It was also great to meet so many people I had previously only known as names.

The only downside was the video at the beginning of the Stokers from current HWA president, Debra Leblanc, which seemed inappropriately infantile and poorly done. I had thought the HWA was desperate to give itself a more professional look, which this video very seriously undermined. Thankfully, this was soon over and the Stoker awards proper were soon underway.

Offline tartarusrussell

• Ray Russell - Tartarus Press
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Tartarus Press
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2010, 10:59:29 am »
I agree that it was a thoroughly enjoyable convention, in great company. Steve and Co will have to drag the Americans back over here again!

Offline Natt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
    • In The Gloaming Podcasts
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2010, 11:07:24 am »
It was my first convention, and, although I was commuting home most evenings, I had a great time. Hello to everyone I met, and I look forward to seeing you all again soon...

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2010, 11:31:31 am »
It was my first convention, and, although I was commuting home most evenings, I had a great time. Hello to everyone I met, and I look forward to seeing you all again soon...

But you're so scary, Natt.  :o

In the Gloaming were brilliant.

David